I have to have an operation for diverticulitis plus fistula. Has anyone had this op ?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have just been told that I must have part of my bowel removed as I have severe diviculitis and have a fistula between bladder and bowel. Is there anybody out there who has been through this experience ?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I had this surgery August 6. Did very well with recovery, I'm back at the hospital this morning for ileostomy takedown surgery. Hoping for smoother sailing once my plumbing is reconnected and gets acclimated. Im a 66 yr. old female. Good luck to you!

• Posted

Thank you for your reply I hope yesterday went Ok sounds positive x
    • Posted

Surgeon says went great. On liquids only so my plumbing not working yet, will get soft solids for bkfst. this a.m. and should start things moving then. Be sure to get a good surgeon, so important in these surgeries for good outcome. Be well Judy.
  • Posted

Yes , my mum did last Xmas due to a absess in the sigmoid colon that got infected. She was very ill and lost 3 stone. But post op with a colosamy bag but is back to her old self and back up in weight.
  • Posted

I was told I would have to have a lot of sigmoid and stomach removed due to an infection which had travelled from bladder to kidney, also bowel has twisted. When Consultant looked at CT and other scans he said it would be to risky to operate due to everything now stuck together. So have been given a stent in kidney which needs to be changed every 4 months for life and put on a permanant low fiber low residue diet. I am feeling so depressed and have put on so much weight.
    • Posted

Hi my mum has has had dv for years but two years ago uc. She lost lots of weight and now has a colosamy and has got much better back to her old weight etc. The hospital said they think she has had a infected dv leading to an absess in sigmoid. All stuck down to her pelvic area. All blood test for cancer came ok but was and is still ongoing so a worry. They cant seem to get to view the sigmoid part

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.