I have to quit cold turkey. Any suggestions?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Ok this is the first time I've told the actual truth about my tramadol addiction. I've been living in Tijuana for about 3 years this summer. I had been taking tramadol before and had started again about a year ago a little over. I took them to suppress my appetite which they did as I went from being a size 8 to my normal size which is a 2.(I gain weight easy) well my husband is not very into pills he believes in a more holistic approach to things. I've been taking about 400mg 3-4 times a day. Anyways. I'm pretty much forced to do this cold turkey while I do have a few left I plan to save them for if I really can't sleep or a seizure occurs because it had in recent attempts. I have marijuana for my traumatic head injury so I've noticed if I use an edible I really don't notice my symptoms as much. I don't really need to know what else can help, I really just need to have people dealing with the same issues to fall on. My husband is very supportive as in the past he wasn't. He would want to end our relationship but this time he is determined to help me get through this next week or so. I really don't get too much in terms of vomiting or diarrhea but I do experience rebound headaches and the sleepless nights. If anyone has any advice besides klonopin( my mom gets them if I really need it) but I really have no choice to stop these now at the risk of losing my family. Any small tips would help. Or even just a friend to lean on during this time.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi I have been through this. It would help if you could taper. Am I doing my maths right and you're taking about 32 tablets a day, cold turkey will be tough but approx 7 days and you're done. The nights were the worst for me with terrible restless leg and anxiety. I went to my doctor and he gave me a few diazepam but they didn't really help. Just try to take each day at a time and if you can keep busy. When you're done it's the best feeling ever. I'm here if you need someone to talk to then private message me. My husband also never takes tablets and tried to be supportive but know on can truly understand unless they've been through it. You've got this remember one week and you're done xx

• Posted

Thanks so much for replying I didn't think anyone would! Anyways. I just took my last few this morning and I can already see the agitation kicking in. The problem is my husband doesn't want me taking them at all so I don't think tapering is an option. My mom gets Valium and diazepam but I'm going to t neurologist on Wednesday so I'm going to mention it to him yet again (last time all he did was tell me to taper, wrote my script and left). Typical doctor. My hubby doesn't understand why I should taper and I feel like bringing up the reasons why like what could happen during withdrawals happen he will get mad and say why would I even start taking them blah blah blah. I have to work tomorrow and Thursday so hopefully that helps keep me busy but more worried about the waking up and getting ready part. I know how much I don't want to move. I tried to stop about 2-3 weeks back and I couldn't i ended up having a seizure in my sleep.

• Posted

This is so wierd you could be me!!!! My husband was just the same! Even now if I'm slightly stressed or tired he gives me this look and says "what on earths wrong with you we've not gone back there have we!" Honestly it drives me nuts he has even searched my bag before. You really should taper because it could be dangerous but my husband was the same saying "why can't you just stop". I managed to get down to 8 a day then stopped and the first four days the anxiety was awful and the restless leg (which I get anyway) was horrible. I made my husband sleep in the spare room so I could thrash around in peace! Some nights I was having hot baths at three o clock in the morning and that was even with the diazepam. I must say the baths did work I could get out the bath lay on my bed in my dressing gown and get a bit of sleep. I never had sickness or diaorhea just the awful anxiety which I hate. Oh the other thing that helps is magnesium, makes you a bit sleepy and helps the restless legs a tiny bit. I am worried about seizures at the amount you're taking will your husband read anything about withdrawals mind wouldn't. Trouble is when I had finally come off them my back pain (which is what I was taking them for) was horrendous so now I'm in the same situation but with amtriptyline and my husband is always having a go at me for taking that, it's a vicious circle. Why were. You given tramadol in the first place. Xx

• Posted

I was on them for a head injury back in 2014 I had my forehead split open pretty bad. But I live over the border in Tijuana so they're as easy as buying aspirin back home I come to San Diego almost daily so right now I'm actually driving up to see my mom cause she has some klonopin and I have a medical marijuana card. Driving seems to help cause it keeps me busy without exerting crazy energy. I may try to work out at her gym there but if anything I may just relax until I come back home tonight. I can feel a headache creeping slowly so. Why do they prescribe these things let alone they sell them over the counter down here! I'd rather go through a perc withdrawal (I was into perk 30s in my early 20s and used methadone and subs to quit but my doctor doesn't practice anymore so the subs are out and the methadone isn't even an option yuck.

• Posted

The doctor gave me tramadol for pain. I need a knee replacement. But, the surgeon says No surgery until my body is undressed control. Soo, I wonder if that is ever going to happen.
    • Posted

I know these doctors tell you like it's so easy to just stop on your own. If it was that easy we wouldn't have the opiate epidemic we have right now. Yes we willingly take these prescribed drugs but when you need help they're turn their cheek or have no answers sad in super emotional from the withdrawals. Can the doctor help you taper to the lower dose to stop and then move forward with the surgery? So sorry you have to have that! I've had a few friends get them and then end up down the same downward spiral of the pain mess from recovery sad we should start a movement to make them realize what the real issues are. The opiates aren't. It's the people prescribing them like they're aspirin.

• Posted

If you can get hold of clonodine it knocks most of the opiate withdrawal on the head. I know tramadol isn't technically an opiate but I'm sure it would help. I think you're doing pretty well!! X

• Posted

Hey guys just wanted to let you know. I haven't taken the tramadol since last time I posted! I honestly didn't have that bad of a withdrawal coming off. I had some personal issues going on and that honestly kept my mind pretty occupied. Anyways. I'm still suffering the rebound headaches?! I'm prescribed imitrex and pamelor for them and even excedrine doesn't help too much. I'm just wondering if you guys had any experience or knowledge of how much longer these will continue. They're making the days super long and difficult. Thanks.

• Posted

Last month after 9 years on tramadol I decided enough was enough, I was on 10 50mg tablets a day and it was fXXXing up my life on all fronts, so that was it I had 30 tablets which I tapered down with and as of today it's been 9 days since my last one, I knew I could handle the withdrawals during the day brain zapps and stuff, it was the sleeping that's been bothering me as the last few times I tried to stop I was awake for days so this time I was honest with my Dr and she's given me zipoclone 7.5mg and they are work I g fine. Good luck coming off them as I know it's now easy I'm just so happy to have my life back even after just 9 days!!

Moderator comment: I have edited this post due to the swearing. These are open forums so as per the T&Cs please do not use offensive language in posts otherwise they may be deleted.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.