I have under active thyroids

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have under active thyroids, however because i \"bounce\" with my meds they have taken me off completly :? and now i am always soooo tired. i would like to go back on thyroxine but my doctors cant be bothered to review my meds every week :evil: so i made to suffer, anyone any ideas on how i can cope? x :cry:

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi there

I do not understand your doctors taking you off Thyroxine? Just type in to google stopping thyroxine and the first answer is.........

If someone is on Thyroxine for an underactive thyroid and stops taking it as they feel well again can this be dangerous?..............

Yes, if you have an under active thyroid it will never start working again. Like all chronic diseases, if you stop the medication you will rapidly relapse.

Since levothyroxine is the body's speed control hormone, you will rapidly become tired,lethargic and physically and mentally slow. Your hair will dry and your skin roughen, you will feel cold and gain weight. Why on earth would you consider doing this??!! Have a chat with your GP, but you must resign yourself that this is lifelong therapy.

I hope you chat with your GP !!

regards

SES

• Posted

Hi there

I came off thyroxine for about four months and became quite unwell. My hair fell out in clumps, I was freezing cold, skin became very dry, was paranoid, very lethargic - couldn't get out of bed, was very out of breath, and I lost a lot of weight ( I know most people gain weight but I'm the opposite). When my doctor found out I was off thyroxine he persuaded me to go back on and he was very concerned.

I don't understand why your doctor took you off thyroxine. You must go back to your doctor and get this all sorted out.

Keep us posted.

Take care

ms

• Posted

HI there MS

So glad that your GP convinced you to go back on the thyroxine, as I remember chatting to you on here last year and I was so worried about you, anyway it is so good you have shown your experience with other people as then they will realize it is not wise to stop taking Thyroxine.

Take care MS and I hope you are having a good day x :D

Take care

SES

• Posted

hi rebecca go back to your docter if he doesan't won't to put you back on thyroxan i should change your dr, as any dr would say you are on this medication for life

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.