I have undiagnosable, unique STD like symptoms. Treatment not working

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everybody, I am creating this post because not only desperately need help, but maybe can help somebody else in the process. It's a very long post but I have been fighting this battle for a long time and need anybody's help. I have had many symptoms in the genital and surrounding areas for over three years and cannot find any help. I am 20 years old, male. Before you read, note that I have been tested for all STDs and been negative for all of them. I have taken treatments of amoxicillin, doxycycline, and oral antifungals, none of which have relieved my symptoms. I have had all of these symptoms for over three years.

This all started one night when I had unprotected sex. It was my first time having a sexual encounter, so I could not have had a prior sexual infection. It is worth noting that I am circumcised. The morning after the encounter, I noticed that my penis was very itchy, slightly inflamed, and slightly red. My scrotum was red and wrinkly, with a strip of healthy-colored skin running vertically between my testicles. The skin on my penis seemed shinier than usual and the hair follicles were a bit bumpy. At the base of the foreskin was a ring around the penis which was slightly darker than my skin tone.

I was not worried at first. I figured these could be minor irritation symptoms, or maybe symptoms from a less serious STD. Less than a week after the encounter, as symptoms were still present, I decided to get tested for STDs. I was tested for your usual bacterial infections and they all came out negative. I saw a couple doctors (planned parenthood clinic, dermatologist) and was told it could be fungal. I tried the creams and eventually the oral antifungal and got no results.

I began to develop more symptoms. I had aching sensations all over my genital area. I felt aches in my penis itself. I felt aches in my inner thighs, near where my penis rests. I developed symptoms that are so unusual, I can hardly find any information about them on the internet. The hairs on my scrotum and scrotum only began to develop a whitish/yellowish coating. It appears to be almost identical to the condition called trichomycosis, but the condition of trichomycosis is a bacterial infection that typically occurs in people's armpits and can easily be rid by shaving or practicing good hygiene. In my case, neither shaving nor hygiene can get rid of the symptom. Sometimes it is less severe, but the symptom is almost always present. (It is worth noting that I am generally a very hygienic person, showering at least once a day).

I noticed an intense itchiness of my inner thighs but ONLY when my penis was immediately touching that part of my thigh. For example, if I was sitting down and my penis was resting against my left inner thigh, then that thigh would become very, very itchy. As soon as I would scratch it and move my penis from touching that skin, the itch would not again come back unless my penis was immediately touching that skin. I want to emphasize that my thighs only were itchy in the immediate seconds that they were being touched by my penis. When I was to scratch them, I would notice that the itchy areas (along with my penis) felt generally sticky/waxy. Besides that, the skin on my thighs looked completely normal.

I have developed an itchy urethra. It is itchy throughout the inside, sometimes unbearably. The itchiness stems from the internal perineal area and runs through my penis. It can be very difficult to satisfy this itch. The skin of my penis is almost always itchy. The itchiest parts are the underside of the penis (near the hair follicles) and the foreskin on the top side of my penis. The itchiness occurs constantly, regardless of climate (humid/dry), redness of the skin, or presence of other symptoms. I have had doctors suggest that it may be folliculitis, but treatment for folliculitis has not worked.

I have even experienced peeling skin on my penis (although only three or four times in the three years since the symptoms began). This is a telltale sign of a fungal infection, but antifungal medication still does not seem to work. It is truly baffling.

Along with these symptoms is a odor that is almost inexplicable. It does not smell like body odor or yeast. It smells somewhat fishy (another sign of bacterial infection) but the fishy smell is not too strong. The odor is not always present not does in necessarily align with the timing of the other symptoms.

All previously mentioned symptoms have been with me ever since the my first sexual encounter. Although it seems like a lot (which it is), the symptoms were often relatively mild and would only flare up every once in a while. I had heard a few doctors tell me not to worry and I foolishly believed them. Over time, the symptoms have only gotten more disruptive of my day to day life.

Recently, roughly three years after symptoms first began, I started noticing even more. I have started to notice a decrease in sex drive and overall difficulty getting or maintaining erections. That is not supposed to happen when you are 20 years old. It seemed like one day I could get strong erections and the next day I inexplicably could not. There was no stressful event, or sudden change in mental health that could have caused this issue. Along with this, I have noticed my testicles feeling smaller, aching, and having a strange structure. The epididymis, or whatever wires are in there attaching my balls to the rest of my body, feel dangly, droopy, and detached from the testicles themselves. Although I can feel that they still ARE attached, it seems as though they are barely hanging on.

Around the same time as these latest symptoms (ED, smaller testicles) I also noticed general brain fog, fatigue, and muscle weakness. My arms had been so weak, I would struggle to talk on the phone or brush my teeth. The problem may or may not be related to my genital issues, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

I have seen many doctors about these issues. Most have not looked too deeply, or have even disregarded my issues, claiming that they might be in my head. Trust me, I know how ridiculous some of this sounds, but it is all true. I am a stable minded, otherwise healthy individual who has healthy relationships and a generally positive attitude. In fact, I feel as though my positivity has prevented these issues from overwhelming my mental health and allowed me to continue living a normal life for the past several years. However, the worsening of symptoms makes me aware that I need this problem solved ASAP. I have had doctors who have physically observed many of the symptoms I have listed, which makes it even more infuriating when others suggest that I may be fabricating symptoms. Doctors had prescribed me with antibiotics and oral antifungals (separately) but none have helped me lessen symptoms.

I am asking for help. If anybody recognized these symptoms and has found a solution, please let me know. If you have the same symptoms, it would be nice to know that I am not alone. If I were to guess, I feel that I could have a rare, resistant bacterial infection. The yellow coating on my testicles hairs, perhaps the most unique and telling symptom that I have, suggests trichomycosis, which is bacterial. It is possible that the typical antibiotics that I have received are not strong enough to wipe the infection out. At this point, I will try anything to get my body back to normal. Please anybody let me know about anything you have to say. Thank you for reading my very long post.

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I have had the problem for 5 months now. I am 44. Protected sex with a condom with a one night stand. 4 days later slight redness in the urethra. Gradually getting worse week by week. Penis grew fish lips which are red a lot more visible after masturbation. Took doxy and azithromicin and antivirals. Used all antifungal creams and fluconazole and no improvement. skin on glans got wrinkly and dry when exposed, sticky when covered. The glans also developed small vessels under the skin which are seen when erect and also small ridges appeared. The glans used to be smooth. Penis seems colder than before with less blood in it. Last month I have had burning in scrotum skin, perineum and slight tingling in anus. First tingling in lower back and legs and now pain in the back in the morning. All STIs negative except for HSV but I have had cold sores before. The test did not tell which HSV it is. For around 2 months constipation. Two GPs and two urologists say it is ok but I feel burning sensation in urethra scrotum skin and perineum every day especially when seated. After peeing when I am done a few drops start to dribble. My lungs seem to burn a little but that may be unrelated. I seem to have weakness in the legs but maybe it is just in my head. I have had no HSV blisters on my genital area but it all points to the HSV infection. Tingling, lower back pain, constipation, weakness in the legs and arms. HSV affects nerves so maybe it affects nerves in our penis? So many people with same issue but no further posts with diagnosis. I cannot believe they just all gave up. I think they got their diagnosis and never bothered to come back. Well I hope it is not herpes but in my case it all points to something similar. I am on the edge of mental breakdown.

• Posted

Hi. I have similar symptoms. In my case, I had unprotected sex more than 1 year ago. I panicked and washed my penis with alcohol for 3 days straight (Yes, I know, not very smart). Afterwards I started having some burning pain when urinating and unusual redness in my gland.

For the past year, I took 3 times doxycycline (10 days) + Azithromycin.

Nothing worked.

Other symptoms :

Redness in my penis after masturbating

Foam/ Bubbles in my urine

Tingling in the hands and legs (looks like nerve pain)

Fatigue

Strong and fast headaches

And lately, been having less and less erections.

Tested for all possible STDs dozens of times and its all negative.

I thought of Invasise Candidiasis due to all the antibiotics but the doctors say that's highly unlikely.

Let me know if any of you guys came to any conclusion.

Thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.