I have Urethra Stricture , need some suggestion for the details below .

Posted , 17 users are following.

I am 20 years old . I have been struggling from urethral stricture since 5 years .I had a Direct Visual Internal Urethrotomy (Visual Internal Urethrotomy) 5 years before .Since then I was on self-dilatation . After 2 years of self-dilation , my doctor recommended to stop it .1 year later I again developed some blockage . My doctor performed some dilation technique (don’t know exactly but was not DVIU ). Afterwards I was again on self-dilation .

Now , recently I had my uro-flowmetry test . Everything was good in the report . But , recently while doing self-dilation I feel the tube quite hard to push at last (the point where the urine is about to come ).I felt this from last 3–4 times(I do self-dilation once a week ).

I told the same to my doctor , he called me and performed the dilation himself (with same size catheter ) and reported everything fine . He said everything is fine , and told me some tricks to pass the sphincter muscle. But i again couldn’t do it , so now he has called me again and want to see inside the urethra with a cystoscope (He said  “Durbin se dekhna padega ” in Hindi . ) . I want to know what should I do in my situation and what could be possible reason for the trouble in dilation (I mean my doctor could pass) . Should I go for the method recommended by him ?

0 likes, 79 replies

79 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

If stricture recurrs after DVIU then is it good to do DVIU again and then be back on self-dialation . My doctor just suggested this  and he told me that chances of success of DVIU with self-dialation afterwards and Uretroplasty are same ...
    • Posted

It sounds like you've found a doctor that's aligned with your wishes; that's a good thing. Personally I drove toward urethroplasty because it's a permanent and lifelong repair. If my doctor told me what yours did I personally would find another doc.

Above all please remember, the doctor is skilled and educated, no doubt, but he works for you. He is your employee because you pay him. You have a voice and an opinion in your healthcare. You get a vote and by in large you should get the outcome you want because you're paying for it. If you and your doctor are not aligned on the approach to a medical solution, Fire him. The opposite is also true. If you and A doctor are aligned on an approach to a solution to a medical problem, Hire him.

• Posted

I have never suggested anything to my doctor . Everything is his individual decision .

Do you mean that my doctor is not making the right decisions?

Should I switch to another one ?

• Posted

I'm not saying that at all. Your personality dictates how in charge you feel comfortable being. Personally I approach the relationship that the doctor works for me. What I am saying is that doctors work for money, the patient and the patient's insurance company pay the doctor; therefore the doctor is the employee of the patient. No one cares more about your healthcare than you do. No one lays awake at night wondering how you're feeling, or what the true cause of your problem or solution is; not the doctor, the nurses or the insurance company. The staff sees you briefly, makes a best guess estimate, takes your money and moves on to the next patient. For me, I don't let the doctor off the hook. Have him explain the what and the what why and don't let the doctor leave until I understand and we both agree. If this doesn't work for you I understand, my point is that I make sure that I get great healthcare because I hold the doctor accountable because he works for me. If you pay your doctor and don't hold him accountable to you that's really your issue.

• Posted

What I wanted to say is that my doctor says that the chances of recurrance in case of DVIU with self-dialation for a small period (2-3 years) and Urethroplasty is same . Thats why he prefers DVIU with self-dialation . But internet and this forum says that chances of success of Urethroplasy is much higher . Thats what brings me the dilemma !!

Why theres difference in my doc's opinion and the forum ?

• Posted

I don't know why he would say that. It's a good discussion point for you two to talk about. I think the larger question is, what do YOU want? If you don't want to self cath tell him that self cath is not an option available because you're not going to do it.

You have control in this situation because it's your life and you're paying the bills. Talk to your doctor and ask him to explain his comment so that you can understand his position. Let him know that you have a decision to make and that you need his input, but clearly you are the deciding authority.

If you don't feel confident with him, fire him and find another doctor. You have to get this urinary problem worked out in a way that best suits you and your lifestyle.

• Posted

hi, i would suggest you should go for urethroplasty in distal area,it could br stricture in front area.

did your doc say how much is the stricture?

• Posted

Hi All,

Hope all is well.

@jt465 - how has life been since your recovery?

I have just had my 2nd DVIU and am currently into my 5th day post op. I have a foley cathether currently inserted. Due to have it removed in 2 days. Cannot wait as it is now causing me a lot of pain - with a relentless urgency to pee.

I will need to self cath twice a week again and hopefully hope for another year of relief.

Arrangements for my wedding are are in full flow and getting married in August. My fiancé has been very supportive and I find comfort in that. Definitely now looking to have a urethroplasty op done in future as I don't think I can bare this foley cathether again.

Anyways just thought I'd update on my situation and hope everyone is ok.

Take care,

Billy

• Posted

Hey there Bill.  I hope this time it works for awhile.  What does your doctor say.  Good news.  Strictures are a pain.  And so are catheters  I will be having mine checked in a month.  I think it got smaller been having some problem with leaking.  I wish you a long happy life with your up coming wedding.  Good luck  Ken
  • Posted

I have had problems with stricture in the glans of my penis for about 25 years, it first happened some time (can't remember how long) after a circumcision that I had at the age of 20 something.  I had the circumcision due to repeated bouts of thrush and tightening of theforeskin.

Moving on.  Just over a year ago the struicture actually closed and I could not pee. I had an emergency operation to dialate my urethra and a catheter was left in for about 10 days.  I had cameras up there to check it out and various scans done.  It was brought up about having hte full operation, or I had the choice to self-dialate.   I chose to self dilate and was taught how to do this at the hospital.

A year has gone by and I have tried various dilators, inlcuding using a female (shorter)  catherer which was easier to insert due to it being the type that you immerse in water for 30 seconds and it becomes lubricated.  After trying many dilators, I have found that  the WyCath Meatal Dilators are perfect for me.  No other kit required, just add water to the little cover and leave 30 seconds.  It is discrete, so easy for travelling etc..  I dilate every day and in one year I have had one week of it being a little tight and uncomfortable to use.

This has changed my life.  My whole life was arranged around my peeing habits, though, a the time,  I did not even notice how much my life revolved around my toilet needs.  I was the guy in the mens bathroom for 5 mins for a pee a few years ago, now I am the first one out having fully evacuated my bladder.

I just though that I would let others know, there are many options to you.  Just do what you feel comfortable with.

• Posted

Hi mate.

I was recently thinking of where I had posted this and could not remember.  Thanks for asking, as I wanted to do an update.

My dilation needs change from time to time.  I can go a week or more without bothering, there are times where I have to do it daily of every few days.  At times it gets a bit tight, but I use Instilagel for those times, this is a syringe with a local anesthetic and helps with insertion.  If I wasn't so lazy and dilated more frequently, I would probably not need to do that.

It has definitely changed my life.  Totally vacating my bladder makes life a lot easier and peeing in a few seconds helps life too.   I would recommend everyone to try this method.

• Posted

Thank you for this info and I am glad you are doing well. 

I have self dialated for about 11 years after a surgical dialation when I closed up (i had hypospadius repair as a child and again as a teen to close up a hole mid way on my penis and the scar tissue eventually caught up with me when I was about 36-37 years old. Now I am 47.  But it appears I am once again starting to close up a bit. It’s either that or some inflammation that is causing it to be a lot tighter.   Hopefully that is all it is as I do not want to undergo the extensive 2 stage repair. 

I can still self self dialate but have to use a thinner catheter.  I only go in about 1.5 to 2 inches as that is where the narrowing is at. 

I have never tried the syringe method. 

• Posted

Hi everyone.i have read all comments on urethral stricture's topic.i have a stricture 1.4 cm.what would you suggest to me?urethrotomy or urethroplasty?and how did people faced urethral stricture disease before urethroplasty?

• Posted

Which ever one you pick make sure you get all the information you can get  Either a end to end or a graft. I have a stricture just before the prostate in the bulbar area.  It is fine for now.  But if I ever have to have something done I would have a graft done.  If they do a end to end you can have penile shorten.   1 to 3 in.  You just have to be ready and tell your doctor your concerns.  Don't give you doctor total control.  You tell him what you want.  The was a man on here about a year ago.  He had a end to end done.  The doctor told him that he would not take more then a inch of the urethra.  Well when he woke up the doctor told him it was worst then he thought he took 3 in and now he has trouble having sex with his wife.  The best think you can do it get all the information you can.  Ask all question and tell him what you are concerned with  Ken   

• Posted

Hey Kenneth,

Just wondering how you've been getting along with that bulbar stricture lately? Has it been getting worse for you recently as far as ability to empty your bladder, flow, pain and so on or is it been staying about the same? My flow is down to about 14 ml max along with increased pain and I'm getting nervous and extremely depressed about it.

• Posted

I have been doing good.  I was in the hospital for a different reason and had to have a ridge scope done.  My doctor told me if there was a problem he would do a dilation but he did not have to because he had no problem putting the scope in and after he put a 18 fr catheter to open it more.  When this started he was only able to use a coude catheter 12 or 14.  So for now the stricture is fine.  Sometime the steam is small but I still go ok.  Have you talk to your doctor about a balloon dilation for now and try that first instead major surgery.  Something to think about   Ask anything I am here for you  Ken     
    • Posted

Thanks, this is a lonely disease to have other than this site it's impossible to find another person with this problem. I havn t talked to my current doctor about a balloon dialation, but when I mentioned it to my last urologist before we did the urethrotomy he just laughed and said "that doesn't do anything" I wish I would have walked away and never looked back because he made me much worse.

• Posted

That was the first thing my doctor told me about.  I did not know that I even had a stricture I just thought it was age.  I was in the hospital in 2014 and they could not get a catheter in me. I got it for kidney stone surgery when I was 47.  I was 58 when I found out.  We talk about all the different ways to fix the problem  if I do have a problem.  Balloon dilation was the first thing he talked about.  He did say that it has to be re-done some time and it only last a year but sometimes that is the way to go. To put off surgery.  With what you had you can get scare tissue again.  That is what a stricture is.  If I have a problem that is the way I would go first before I have surgery.  If you need to talk I'm here  Ken 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.