i have very severe ibsd need help

Posted , 4 users are following.

i have been hospitalized at least 700 times, am in constant pain with nausea and vomiting.I have been to mayo in jacksonville,cleveland in weston fla,emory u in atlanta,functional bowel disorder clinic in north carolina,all to no avail.I NEED HELP !!!!

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

What medications have you been put on and what have the doctors suggested?
    • Posted

Through all these years i have been given every ibs drug,i have not had xifaxen or viberzi[eluxadoline].
    • Posted

Perhaps you should ask your doctor to try these drugs to see if they improve  your symptoms.  I think I must have been very lucky with my IBS.  My pain and bowel symptoms are very mild and I rarely need medication.   I have IBS C.
  • Posted

Hi Stephanie, Your hundreds of visits to hospital sounds like your condition is severe, but of course we haven't examined you, so without much further information any recommendations would be very general.

As a measure of severity, are you able to maintain anything close to a normal weight, i.e. 15% bod fat or more?

This would be very good news if you are able to keep weight on, as it opens up the option of promptly-reduced intake of macro-nutrients (protein, carbohydrate and fat) as a real-time response to the very onset of symptoms.

I am male, 5'9", and physically active.  My gut is not altogether happy unless I am at a very low body fat level, which for me equals about 140 pounds. Otherwise, when I try to sleep a few hours after a normal dinner, my gut seems to tighten during sleep and goes downhill from there. I have to respond to such symptoms by taking the next day off from eating normally, really having almost nothing to eat for that day.  But this brief fasting works, and is the only thing that I have ever gotten to work for such symptoms.

I am assuming it is the macro-nutrients in the food that my liver and other organs are having difficulty absorbing, distributing and perhaps metabolizing. The liver processes all of the nutrient-rich blood from the digestive system, it is the first organ to have to deal with all of what gets absorbed from one's daily food and drink.  Overload at this entry point has the liver doing things to control otherr parts of the digestive system in an apparent attempt to control entry of any over-loading nutrients or entry of toxins that it detects. It is exceedingly complicated how all of this stuff works!

But again, if you are at a body-fat level where even a day of macro-nutrients can be witheld from the system, that is the only thing that I have ever been able to do to restore comfrtable functioning of digestion.

If your body fat is perhaps lower than 8% or so, I might assume you have at times needed liquid or I.V. supplementation under the care of a doctor, which I again assume would be closely monitored as a medical emergency.

If you are perhaps asking for advice on medical institutions, what kind of insurance do you have, and in what city?

By the way, I have no knowledge of drugs for your condition, and would do everything that I could to avoid having to use them.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.