I have vestibular migraines, but I want to know what symptoms other people have with there migraines

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi all

So in January this year I was diagnosed with vestibular migraines, I woke up one morning dizzy for 24 hrs and from then I've had dizzy spells lasting days to weeks. Crazy vision especially when looking from the corner of my eyes at patterns etc. Dizziness when walking in supermarkets, painful ears, tinnitus, blocked and clicking ears, I sometimes get nose pain ( guessing this is the sinuses ) I see colour flashes all the times during the day , it's not often but it's definitely there all day. I sometimes get cold sensations in my face for a few seconds, and I get aching thigh and sometimes they are painful. The thing is I've just had a baby and found that in my second trimester all of this stopped, and was amazingly gone for the rest of my pregnancy, after the birth I started to noticed the dizzy spells again etc and the colour flashes. And now when going to sleep I wake up and my hands are asleep ( I've been checked for carpel tunnel it's not that ) my questions are is it possible to have these symptoms constantly and it been migraine, I'm currently on propranolol 60mg at the moment, and I do feel a difference in my ears etc because they are the worse symptom I have they pop and click constantly etc and always feel blocked. However I still have small amounts of dizziness during the day, colour flashes, sometimes I get head pain, the cold sensations in my face only started when I started on my medication however it hasn't gone away so I'm guessing it's notfrom that. I'm doing sooo much better then I first was nearly two years ago, but I just get so concerned especially with the waking up with numb hands. Does anyone else experience this as a side effect as migraine or is bizarre to even think that could be related? As I wake up with it and I will do for let's say a few weeks and then it will subside again for a while. I do sleep on my hands a lot and I do realise this can cause blood flow restriction but the thing is when I woke up today I was on my back hands at my sides and my right hand small finger and index finger where numb so I was thinking well I can't of been leaning on them. I've been very stressed lately and have health anxiety badly. ( as I'm sure you can tell ) so please if anyone has vestibular migraines or even any other type can you please tell me your symptoms etc. Any replies I really appreciate and sorry for the long rambling post. Xx

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jess I am sorry that you are going through this and it sounds horrible. I have suffered from migraines since i was 14 with visual disturbances one sided paralysis kind of like a stroke and was pretty scary and still were but I found a chiropractor and he saved me for over 10 years until about 2 months ago I had another one but not as severe so I went back to him for treatment and now I try and keep my neck in good shape as it is a trigger for me. Yours symptoms dont really sound like migraine. The numb hands I get a lot too and if you are waking up with them is may be because you are sleeping on them. I have woken up with one or both hands numb and its pretty scary because im  half asleep and not knowing whats going on. Have you been to see a neurologist as they will be able to do a proper diagnosis. I hope you get some relief soon. Take care.
    • Posted

Ive been to a neurologist Hun and they diagnosed me with vestibular migraines. And so did my ent. 

I do sleep on my hands and arms a lot, but sometimes I wake up with numb hands and I'm not laying on them so I just think it couldn't be because of that if you get me. I've booked an appointment with a chiropractor because my neck and back hurt a lot and I always feel like my neck won't and can't go straight it's a weird feeling. Thanks for the reply Hun x

• Posted

I have the same thing Jess. My symptoms are the same except the color flashes although I do get them out of the  corner of my eyes sometimes. I take 20 mg of amitriptyline and 200 mg of B2  and 400 mg of magnesium as prescribed by my neurologist.I too suffer from anxiety . Symptoms seem to get better with time
    • Posted

Hi thanks for your reply

Is yours migraine, I have been to a neurologist and ents a few times and been diagnosed with migraines. The thing I struggle with is that my symptoms are daily however there not as debilitating as they first was two years ago, is it possible for them to get better? Also I always speak to people who suffer with vestibular migraines and they struggle so badly and I don't do that bad anymore so therefore wonder if it is that. X

• Posted

I too have migraines. My neurologist told me like when some people have auras with their migraines , this fogginess and other symptoms can be a daily thing which is our type of aura.Seems that the passage of time has made things better. Anxiety doesn't help much either

• Posted

Jess, vestibular migraines are a drag. Mine started out that way; fortunately you were diagnosed fairly early in the process. I wandered from ENT to neurologist and eventually I was diagnosed with migraine. Your symptoms absolutely DO sound like migraines. The tingling, or numbness is your hand(s) May be part of the migraine or it may be coming from a nerve in your shoulder or neck. If you’re better during movement it’s probably the latter. Cold or thingling extremities-including numbness are on the migraine “list” of symptoms so which ever it is-a nerve or the friendly migraine, you are going to be ok. Congratulations on your new baby. It definitely points to migraine when the migraine stopped during your last trimester. Common theme in women. Take care, try not to worry, and keep expecting good outcomes.❤️ 
  • Posted

My migraines got worse during my last trimester and that is when I went to the migraine seminar and learned about the neck migraine connection and went to the chiropractor. My last few weeks of my pregnancy were migraine free. It's true that a pinched nerve can cause tingling sensations and numbness. My migraines changed over the years and went from full side paralysis to just the arm and gave to just visual disturbances and flashing zig zag patterns in my field of vision so I guess things improve with age.

• Posted

Hi Jess 

i wondered what vestibular migraine was so now I know I don’t think mine is 5e same I don’t get any warning no zig zags or aura but come on suddenly and the pain makes me feel sick and am sick sometimes I don’t get the numbness as some people e can have I have had mri and no nasties. I have tried a number of preventative regimes and am currently on nortriptyline 30 mg a day but am trying to reduce it by doctors recommendations which is giving me the side effects . Anyway my head pain is normally one sided but I don’t get any ear problems .have you investigate the numbness with your doctor. Now I know having a baby can mess with your hormones and feelings of anxiety are norm with a new baby but the numbness is odd so if it continues maybe worth having a word with your doctor have your ears been checked as blocked ears can cause dizziness and can feel unbalanced I feel like that sometimes when I’m walking it feels like I’m drunk waving about but I’m not so another thing to check . Take it steady as you have a little one to look after it’s easy to ignore your own symptoms 

js

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.