I haven't left the house in a month, what should I do?

Posted , 9 users are following.

I'm 16 and suffer from agoraphobia which has started to take over my life..I wake up and feel awful, I get nausious, sometimes vomit and feel like I'm choking, as well as shaking. 

My first panic attack was in a shopping centre which has stopped me from wanting to leave my house, it's the only place I feel safe sad 

I want to try and go out again and a month ago I did, I managed to walk around the block and was very proud of myself but now I've got back to square one. 

It's not that I don't want to go outside, it's that I'm scared that I'll have an attack. 

I just wish this demon inside me would go!

Does anyone have any tips about how they manage to go outside? 

The only place I can manage is my garden!

-Hopexo 

1 like, 39 replies

39 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hello. I also suffer from Agoraphobia. I was where you are now, but by taking small steps, have been able to venture out a lot more. That you can manage your garden is GREAT!!! Each day walk out towards the street. Get as far as you can and just stand there. Notice that it gets easier, and there is no panic. After a week of doing this, go a little farther. Till you feel you can't go any farther. Keep repeating. The only way to overcome this is to face it one small step at a time. Do not let anyone tell you to go further than you are comfortable with. It has to be you doing it. It has to be your victory!! I do the same with places I avoid due to having a panic attack there. I will just step in the door, look around, get comfortable, and then walk out. Knowing that you have control of how far you go, and that you can escape if needed, helps a lot. The more you do it, the more in control you will be. And you will see that you can do a lot more. There are days when I am very anxious, and on those days I try to stay at home so I do not have a setback. But then somethimes it helps just to go in and visit with someone to get your mind off of you. Hopes this makes some sense. Good Luck, and you can get past this in your own time xx
    • Posted

Also I have made my car my second safe place. As long as I can see my car, I am okay. Or at least know I can get to it if needed.
    • Posted

Did you originally be really bad then? I'm guessing you're able to go to normal places now and feel okay? It just sometimes feels like I'm going to feel like this forever sad but thank you so much, it's supposed to be nice weather so I might sit further down my garden and read or something so at least I'm outside, then I'll gradually build it up to leaving the house but I don't want to push myself too much! :o thank you for your help xx
    • Posted

Oh yes, I was really bad. It takes therapy and medication for me. At first I had to do every therapy session over the phone, as there was no way I could go to them. My next therapist came to my house to see me in person. The one I have now is about an hour away, so it is hard, but with the past therapy, and a person I feel safe riding with me, I have been able to get to appointments. Going into local stores is a lot easier for me now. But it is still very hard to go far from home. As young as you are, I do not believe you will be like this forever. When I went through it when I was younger, I was able to get over it. A traumatic event put me back into it. I have faith in you. You can do this xx
    • Posted

Bonnie, I managed to go out today, just a small walk around the block with my Grandma, I'm proud, thanks a lot hopefully things will start to get better xx
    • Posted

I am so proud of you!!! That is great smile Even if you just keep doing that for a week or a month, it will help you feel the freedom. Hopefully it will continue to get easier for you. xx
    • Posted

Great advise, just to add a point I think it's good to accept that you will feel a degree of anxiety when doing those small steps but being able to control them through deep breathing or by having positive thoughts helps overcome the phobia, knowing you can manage anxiety without it developing I to panic is a major step.

hope you agree. Neil 

• Posted

Thank you, I'm going to try and go out tomorrow too :D xx
  • Posted

my is opposite I need to get out to be around people but I no how you feel have you seen your doctor
    • Posted

Yeah I've seen the doctor but they can't do a lot for me because of my age, they've offered counselling but it's taking forever to get an appointment through sad
    • Posted

Hii.. I have the same thing I dont leave my house since a year now alone if I am with someone I can walk littlre bit.. I havr anxiety dizziness and breathing problem sometimes I am not able even to stand rolleyes anf breathing problems all the time.. last night I jumped from the sleep because my breathing stopped I thought I will die for few sec I didn't get any air... try to do yoga it kinda helps for anxiety and listen some relaxing music xx
    • Posted

Oh goodness, that sounds awful, I hope you're okay and remember to stay strong, with love x x
    • Posted

Yeh it is really hard some times I start thinking like I can't take it anymore and then all symptoms getting worse...

Thank you xx hopefully you will find a way out of this ... xx

• Posted

Just remember to stay strong and that things can only get better, hopefully you find a way out too xx
    • Posted

Thank you xx

If you find anything that helps you please inbox me because looks like I tried everything I could possibly do xx

• Posted

I definitely will, dont worry, message me if you need me xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.