I heard kidney stones are bad but I wasn't expecting this!

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, I recently went to the emergency department with severe flank and back pain and when i say severe, give me natural childbirth anyday. The pain was so excruciating that i could not stand sit or do anything I was groaning and pacing and rocking back and forth. The ED staff gave me some pain killers which was useless as i vomitted them up a few seconds later,I was nauseas the whole time. I was left there like that for 4 hours. When i finally got in i was put on a bed and given more pain killers which again i vomitted up. Finally i was sent for a CT scan and they found a 18mm stone in my uterer and another slighly smaller stone in my kidney. By this time i could not think with the pain and was nearly passing out. Then they fnally gave me pain relief through my IV and within 5 minutes it was bearable, why could they not have done this earlier?

I was admitted to hospital to get a stint put in but that got delayed until the following day. Because of this i then had to endure round two of the pain. Later in the afternoon the pain came back with vengeance, i was still nuances and unable to keep anything down so they gave me morphine in the stomach which did not work. I told them what helped last time but they were unable to give me pain relief through the IV in the ward, isn't this a hospital? I then became septic, which ended up a blessing because i was delirious with the fever and don't remember much after that time but when i came to again the pain was gone. I spent the rest of that night and the next morning lying on my back too scared to move incase the severe pain came back again.

I got the stint put in and was sent home the day after. They were going to send me back to work the day after that but i said there was no way i could do my job the next day so they gave me one extra day off.

I am now at home, alone and feel terrible, i still feel nausea and am having trouble eating. I have to do everything myself but have no energy and am unable to concentrate on anything. My left side is still very sore and when i go to the toilet i get sever kidney pain and cramps in my back and bladder area, i dread having to go. I am suppose to go back to work tomorrow which won't be happening. I have 4 weeks to wait for the stones to be removed, will i be like this for the whole time? I have always been fit and active and now feel like i have aged 10 years in a few days and do not feel very confident. Have other people had the same issues after the stint is in and they have been sent home?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

With regard to the stent... at the moment I have one in me, being operated again on the 10th Oct (day after tomorrow) for my stone. Urologist operated a few weeks ago, but my kidney was too inflamed and infected so he just pushed the stone back away from the inflamed ureter and placed a stent... Now the first few days the stent felt like I had something foreign inside, discomfort, not enough for pain pills though. And then the frequent urination caused by the stent. After a few days the pain and discomfort went away and now I hardly feel it at all.... at the doc's the other day I queried him about this and he said that in his experience, 1/3 of folks feel tremendous discomfort and pain from the stent, 1/3 minor discomforts and the other third adapt and don't feel any discomfort.

Treatment and care must depend on hospital and staff.. when I went to the ER for kidney stone pain, they fairly quickly gave me an intravenous injection of morphine... which was nice... hate the synthetic opioids...

When I was having my kidney infection, my energy was super low, and bloodtests confirmed this as my hemoglobin at was 10... (very low) the very definition of anemia... apart from the anitbiotics they gave me for the infection I upped my intake of liver and other red meats, chicken as well, along with some b12 tabs... My energy has come back and I await the results of my latest pre-surgery obligatory blood test.  

• Posted

Thanks for advice, i must be one of the unlucky ones with discomfort but am still hopeful it will settle. I might try eating more red meat to help my energy levels if I can get rid of the nausea.
    • Posted

I had a few kidney stones last year. Total of 27 mm.

I saw 3 or 4 urologists before a urologist finally agreed to operate pcnl keyhole surgery.

I was in hospital for a week. Had a stent in for a week and a catheter for a few days.

Every time thy tried to block the stent off to see if I could cope without it the answer was NO so they had to keep unblocking it again.

Finally I was OK. I am absolutely fine now.

I ended up at A and E several times last year just with the pain. They never really dealt with it. The last time I was in my local A and E I refused to come home until they had sorted me out an appointment with a urologist at Bristol where I finally had the surgery done. Dr kept saying "I am a Dr this is a clerical issue."

"Fine" I said "Surely you have clerical staff here?" They sorted me out an appointment date I came home and we went from there.

Really hope you feel better soon and get some proper treatment for this.

Praying for you.

All my love

Sarah xx

• Posted

Nausea is often a by-product of kidney stones,,, or the meds,,, not sure. Especially after eating something.  I was given anti-nausea pills. You don't swallow them, you let them melt under your tongue. They're called "Ondansetron HCL  4mg tablets". These really work, settling your dizziness and queasiness.

Where I am, I ask my doctor for meds and he will prescribe them for me. Hope you are living something similar.

• Posted

No, I get stones all the time, the hospital is a joke, the only meds that work for me is delauded, spelling may not be right, but this works, the hospital should have injected you with pepcid for your nausea, and a antiinflammatory.

On the way out, they should have given you vicadin, and moltrin 800.

My stone count that I've passed is close to if not over 75 since 2006.

Be ready, stones have cost me 2-3 jobs because the pain changes you dramatically which also causes your relationships drastically, people don't get this.

The pain level is crippling on all accounts in life, please know I hope you get better.

• Posted

Wow 75 stones, I can't imagine that. These are my first and hopefully my last, were yours large stones like mine?

The hospital gave me anti nausea medicine when i was in there but it didn't seem to help much but i was sent home with nothing and now even the thought of food makes my stomach turn. Only positive thing i can think of out of this is maybe i will lose some weight, although i am only slightly over weight. Sorry to hear stones have had such a impact on your life. But i can understand it because i feel like a different person to what i was 6 days ago.

• Posted

Yes, i know i have lost at least 3 jobs, lost at least 2 friends, and you right you right, you will lose weight.

many will ask me, you've lost weight, uh you don't look well, you okay?

i had the laser surgery once. and it may freak you out, cause after the surgery you will be peeing coffee grounds. it looks like that cause all the stone is ground up, and is covered with dark blood.

losing friends and jobs happen cause your personality changes you aren't the same, the stones have changed everything about you, and unfortunately people don't have time to be compassionate with you, therefore blame you for being lazy, and or changing for the worst.

• Posted

Wow..I feel horrible that you've had such an awful time with stones. Sorry to hear about the friends and jobs. Anyone who doesn't understand the nature of this condition and doesn't take into fact..the stressful anxiety it can cause really isn't a friend to start with. Your probably going to tell to shove it...but try to find even one positive point to focus on and stay in the light....the dark is nowhere nice to be. Good luck

• Posted

I feel your pain. There is no greater pain..period. My gosh what a huge stone. Although it may seem life will never be the same , it will. When I had my stents in I never got used to it but you make it work. The feeling of having to pee was 24-7. There are meds to help with this. Bladder spasms are constant for some. You didn't mention what procedure was being used for stone removal. I'm going to assume a lithotripsy is what will be done. They will try and break the stone up into teeny pieces so it can be passed easier. Sometimes more than one surgery is needed. Drink LOTS of water with lemon and even though it seems impossible...try to rest. Make sure you and your urologist are on the same page and discuss your fears with him or her. Don't suffer alone. Most everyone in this group has delt with the very thing you are going through.

As far as the ER..well..there is a war on opiates being waged and those whom are in pain are the ones suffering. My insurance wont pay the ER bill totally if no IV meds were given..that may have something to do with why you were treated that way. Good luck and please keep posting..it helps keep your mind at ease.

• Posted

Thanks Sharon,

It does help to talk about it and know that it is not just you going through this and other people understand. i think they are going to try to laser it apart.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.