I insisted on having a Myomectomy and I found the right surgeon

Posted , 5 users are following.

I'm 52 and my fibroids have become far more painful and problematic in the last couple of years. I was told I should either have a hysterectomy or wait it out as they would likely shrink after menopause. An ultrasound counted four large fibroids and various smaller ones. I was told the biggest was about 7.5 cm. A later MRI revealed some of the fibroids were calcified, which meant they weren't going to shrink on their own.

Reading all I could, I realized the long-term effects of hysterectomy were not well understood and was set on finding another solution. My research led me to Dr. Einarsson's articles (at Brigham hospital in Boston). I was impressed by what he was able to do and the fact he did it laparoscopically. My pre-op consult with him has validated my high hopes.

I'm now ten days post op and couldn't be any happier. Dr. Einarsson removed 11 fibroids, through my belly button in an outpatient surgery (I was released the same day). I was on pain meds for just 3.5 days post op. I could walk, climb stairs, shower etc. (right after while on pain meds). The hardest thing was getting in and out of bed. A patient post I read before my surgery suggested getting Satin bed-sheets and a Satin pajama. I followed her advice and found both helpful as they reduced friction in bed. By day four, I was off the influence of all pain meds. Not only did my pelvic pain go away but my back pain of many years did too! I now wonder how many women may be undergoing unnecessary back surgeries.

In terms of cuts, there is 0.5 cm incision at about the belly button level and two more that size below my bikini line. Dr. Einarsson uses liquid glue which falls off on its own 3-4 weeks post op. The slightly larger belly button incision is well hidden. I am confident my scars would not be noticeable.

I researched this thoroughly and traveled out of state for this surgery. I am thrilled I did. I post this because I wish I had found him much sooner.

3 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

That is so wonderful to hear! I just turned 54 and have multiple large fibroids too. i know one or more have calcified. iam in Arizona and wish i knew the best Doctor to see here. Any suggestions would

be so helpful. i cant travel to Boston.

• Posted

WOW so happy for you Private. Thanks for sharing your journey. Do you have any discharges, have you had your periods yet?

Keep us posted the recovery for all the different procedures is where I read peoples different experiences. It's so encouraging to read the resilience of women over these fibroids battle.

Cheers!

• Posted

wow thats good to hear as for my doc said i am not a candidate for lapascropy mymectomy because of the location but am having the open mymectomy soon as is still better than leaving with this things

i wanted the keyhole surgery too but all the same as long as they get them all out

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.