I just can’t do this anymore, please help me

Posted , 13 users are following.

This is now going into my eleventh week of citalopram 20mg and because it caused me insomnia since coming off mirtazipine and going on to the citalopram, I’m really struggling with the nights and it’s making my anxiety worse I’m so scared. Six weeks ago the doctors prescribed me zoplicone but for some reason the last two nights it’s not worked and I’m in such a mess. Yesterday the doctor gave me diazepam 2mg which I’ve tried to use but I’m not having much luck with it.

I spoke to a mental health nurse in the night and they said that the drugs are just tools and none will work on their own, I need to learn to deal with the anxiety, but I’m so scared I just don’t know how. There have been times in the night when I’ve felt so afraid I’ve thought I’d rather not be here anymore. It breaks my heart because I have a daughter and husband and I know it would devastate them but right now I’m terrified and can’t see a way out. I know I could up the citalopram to 30mg but I’m scared of getting worse. Please can anyone advise me I just don’t know how much longer I can go on for. I have had some good days a week ago but now I feel like I’ve gone back again and I know it’s the disrupted sleep that’s doing it.😢

1 like, 58 replies

58 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Also Gemma, something that knocks me out to sleep is the ' binaural beats' on YouTube. I actually don't use it strictly at bedtime, but I use it as an aid to relaxation.

I can guess it's difficult if you're looking after little ones, but if you can get half an hour to listen to this, it's quite soothing.

With regards to the medication, maybe it would help if you set a plan with your gp. eg if you don't feel better by ( a set date, e. g. in a month's time if you can) then you will increase the dose. Then there's a definite time frame, which takes some of the anxiety away from wondering whether you should/shouldn't. I do understand because I messed around wondering whether or not I should restart mine.... I think the indecision is part of the anxiety. And also, just acknowledge that if you do increase the dose, it may well make you more anxious for a time.

And well done for speaking to your family, it's really good that you have and that you have their support.

Hope you are feeling OK this morning. Anxiety/depression is such a tricky illness.

Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) directing to site(s) unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

• Posted

Oh, apologies. I will use private message for recommendations.
  • Posted

Hi Gemma

Hang in there I have been on Lexapro 20mg in the morning for 3yrs November. I tried the generic but apparently the Lexapro has a coating and the generic doesn't so generic may hit the systems faster and harder. I remember reading about it. I had a lot of other issues as well. Gave up smoking left my town i lived in for 25yrs to where i new no one had to start afresh. Thyroid was out of wack which causes anxiety and depression. some meds are not compatible and cause side effects. Check the meds your taking and make sure they are all safe together, I always check every med I have new as they can react badly with other meds. drugs.com is a good site for that. But all my other health issues are solved now, still don't smoke. I take magnesium at night that helps but check that too. But I find Lexapro has been good for 2yrs out of the 2 1/2. I think there was an issue with executive formula B vitamins. Lexapro didn't like it. Check on drugs.com for reactions with other drugs. Hang in there you can do this it may take awhile or switch to Lexapro. Doctors and chemists say they are the same but I don't think so, for example my son as a baby had lots of ear infections all the time, doctor would give him antibiotic Bactrim it never worked but on Septrin worked everytime big improvement in 24hrs. same drug amoxicillan different company. Doctors said its the same its not!!!.

Cheers hope you are feeling better soon. jran

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.