I just can't focus!!!!

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello, i am a 14 year old male. Recently i have started research on ADD and i really think i have at as when i play football for about 30 minutes i lose my focus and always someone scores a goal on me. I tried talking to my parents but they insisted i was fine and wont take me for a checkup. Im living in Pakistan so theres no such thing as a guidance councillor or whatever. The problem has got even worse now. Its my final exams of 0-1(o levels first year) and i have an english paper tomorrow. I tried studying history but i couldnt read at all. I kept skipping lines and just getting the clue ehat it was. I just couldn't keep focus. Now the funny thing js that i lose my focus in boring things but the things i enjoy like reading novels, i can read. IM READING 600 PAGE FINE PRINT NOVELS!! and no problem. But 5 pages school study, and im done for. I used to play gsmes on ky tab all the time but now i cant play a single game for more than 3 turns. I keep changing the game and its just so frustrating. Since i can't go to the doctor you guys are my only help. I hope you will give me the answer quickly. Thank you in advance smile

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

As for ADD/ADHD, not I really don't think that is your problem.

I think that a lot of us had the same problem as you are when we were students.

In my case, if  I was not interested in  a particular subject I found it impossible to concentrate or make much progress with it.

I think you should maybe ask yourself if you really are interested in history, because if you are not that would go a long way to explaining why you are not making the progress that you know is required of you.

The technique to overcome this problem is to realise that if you do really need a particular subject, say to meet further education requirements, then you are just going to have to knuckle-down and get it done.

It is not easy, and recalling my university days I do remember that there were certain essential studies that I seemed to struggle with more than others.

The only way through it all is to really apply yourself and don't give up.

As for game playing, well we all eventually grow out of it, so it is not unusual that you seem now disinterested.

• Posted

Yes but it's not just history, football for example im the goalkeeper. After like a half hour i wont focus on it. My mind starts thinking of different outcomes, random football related thoughts etc.
    • Posted

Well it's either that you have lost interest in it and really want to be somewhere else, or you have a concentration problem which can be a symptom of a disorder such as autism.

The autsim spectrum is very wide, and I am very surprised if this is the case no-one at your school has picked this up.

Have you actually spoken to anyone at your school about your problems?

• Posted

Like i said before, i live in Pakistan and there is no one i can speak to. sad
    • Posted

There is no such thing as councellors. I do get good grades in some subjects e.g english, but my overall percentage is stuck at 77 and im not able to improve.
    • Posted

That is very difficult for you then.

If you are slightly Autistic that should not be a problem, as many of the worlds most gifted people have the same problem.

The only thing is that in your case you will have to make your mind up to be very positive in your approach to anything, particularly to your studies.

It might help you if you try to focus on just how important those studies and subsequent qualifications are to you and to your family.

The best advice I think I can give to you is not to give in.

Just think of surrender as something that you will not do under any circumstances.

Best wishes

• Posted

Thanks alot archemedes. Ill try a more positive approach from now on. Im highly thankful for your help. :D

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.