I just can't tolerate progesterone!!

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi all, 

I feel so awful right now, I want to cry and could do with a punch bag as I think I'm having another bad reaction to progesterone... 

I'm fine on oestrogen and feel it helps me with concentration, tiredness, mood etc... but as soon as I add in the progesterone in for the last two weeks of my cycle, my body goes crazy and this time I'm so tired I can hardly carry on, I'm really emotional and just can't think straight either, I'm really not with it! 

Currently I'm using utrogestran tabs, 2 at night... and it's just awful. I've tried other progesterones in Evorel and Femseven patches but they had adverse affects too... 

I'm currently using Evorel oestrogen patches and they've helping but just want to find a progesterone that suits me. 

I feel as if I'm losing the plot and really want to cry but have got two children to look after so desperately need to hold it together... 

Does anyone know of a progesterone that I could possibly try that maybe you've had success with??? Please help if you can - I know you're all going through this too but I really hope you're having a better day than me today. 

Thank you. 

AJ. 

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi AJ

I am 53 and in peri-menopause and on HRT.  I am also intolerant to Progesterone.  I have tried several brands of Progesterone which I couldn't cope with. I did a lot of research and read that the best way to take Progesterone if you are intolerant to it, is vaginally. This is because it bi-passes the liver cutting down on a lot of the side effects, but sadly not all.  I have been taking Utrogestan 200mg pessaries for coming up to a year.  After reading Professor John Studd's study and a few blogs, I take it for just 7 days each month at night time.  Some women take it for 7 days bi-monthly. I am virtually symptom free for the first 2 days, then I start suffering with fatigue and needing a nap in the middle of the day and needing to go to bed early.  I get irritated more by people and things and can over react sometimes, I can be snappy and sometimes irrational.  I can be over excited too when talking to people.  My libido goes up, I spend more.  I start craving sugar and bad food. I don't particularly like my reflection at this time and I don't think any thing looks good on me.  My headaches tend to be much more painful. So basically it is like suffering for PMS each month. I get a 5 day period usually 5 days after stopping the Progesterone.  I won't take it whilst on holiday or if going away for a weekend I have been know to only take it for 5 days so I am not affected by it whilst away.  I ran out of  the pessaries once and used a friend's Cyclogest pessaries.  They gave me such awful anxiety.  Apparently its because Utrogestan pessaries are micronised and Cyclogest are not.  I hope this helps you in some way x

• Posted

The only thing about suppositories is the hormones can be passed to a partner vaginally. I would assume this to be true whether the partner be male or female. More so for males I would think. there have been cases where the man's hormone balance got thrown off by their female partner's vaginal hormone use. 

• Posted

Oh my gosh!  I never thought or read about that.   I insert my pessary after making love and will be mindful not to have sex for 24 hours after insertion.
    • Posted

I have to laugh at these forum we start off with intolerant and now about sex and progesterone affecting men’s parts 🤣😂🤣😂 I use mine late at night for 15 days but not giving up sex I am sure he will be ok with a bit progesterone 🤪

• Posted

With hormone creams even pets have had gotten transference. One pet started losing hair or something. It is very tricky and if we take it orally it ends up in our water system through the toilet. HRT and birth control pills both.
    • Posted

Crazy you mention this as last year when I was at my gynecologist and trying to choose which BHRT to get on she asked me if I had small pets or small children that I held.... I do have 2 small dogs that I hold a lot. She told me that I wasn't a good candidate for creams you rub on the wrists as they can be passed by skin contact and could harm small animals and children/babies!  

• Posted

Hi all, 

Thank you so much for all your advice... I've taken heed of it all. 

I'm only 46 and didn't have a period for a year before starting HRT... I live in the UK. 

I really don't think I can take another day like today, I've felt so nauseous, really bad headache, tiredness is absolutely debilitating and so bad I feel dizzy. I keep going to the bathroom to cry as i feel so bad. 

I'm not going to take utrogestran tonight and will ring the surgery tomorrow - I'm so upset and just feel like giving up. 😪 

I'll ask about progesterone vaginally or maybe a cream (but I also have children and pets!!) and see what they say but I guess from what some of you have said I may get the same issues... isn't it awful!?

Sorry to sound like a nag. I didn't used to be this way, believe it or not I was once a fun person!! 

Thank you again. 

AJ. xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.