I just got my MRI result and they say that I might have masses in my Cauda Equina, what should I do?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello everyone,

I am a 19 yo male.

Weight: 299 lbs

Height: 6ft0in

I have been experiencing lower back pain for around 4 months now. At first I though it was just because of me lifting heavy stuff. But it got worse and I finally went to my doctor for consultation. He sent me to a neurosurgeon and he ordered an MRI. Got it done and here is the result:

MRI-3T LUMBAR SPINE NON CONTRAST

History: Low back pain radiating to the left lower extremity.

TECHNIQUE: Sagittal T1-weighted, T2-weighted and STIR images were supplemented by axial proton density images and axial T1-FLAIR images on a 3.0 Tesla system.

Comparison examination: Plain film studies dated April 20 and March 17, 2020.

Alignment: Minimal Grade I spondylolisthesis at L5-S1.

L4-5: Mild degenerative disc disease with a central disc herniation without thecal sac or nerve root compression.

L5-S1: Grade I spondylolisthesis secondary to bilateral spondylolysis of L5 without compression of the L5 nerve roots, thecal sac or S1 nerve roots.

Vertebral bodies: No compression fractures are seen.

Conus medullaris: Normal.

Cauda equina: Multiple masses are seen associated with the nerve roots of the cauda equina. There is a mass behind the body of L4 that measures 3.4 mm in anterior-posterior dimension, 4 mm in craniocaudad dimension and 6.2 mm in left-right dimension. A larger mass is seen at the level of the L2-3 disc space that measures 1.5 cm in left-right dimension, 9 mm in anterior-posterior dimension and 2.1 cm in craniocaudad dimension.

Bone marrow signal: No pathologic marrow infiltration or bone marrow edema is seen.

Facet joints: Normal.

Kidneys: Normal.

IMPRESSION:

Multiple masses associated nerve roots of the cauda equina is strongly suggestive of a nerve sheath tumors. Further evaluation with contrast-enhanced MR of the lumbar spine is recommended.

Grade I spondylolisthesis at L5-S1 secondary to bilateral spondylolysis of L5 without thecal sac or nerve root compression.

Mild degenerative disc disease at L4-5 with a central disc herniation without stenosis or nerve root compression.

ICD 10 - Degeneration Lumbar Spine, M51.36

Herniated disc lumbar spine, M51.26

Spondylolisthesis, M43.16

I am shook and do not know what to do. This is new to me. What should I do?

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

What you should do is go back to your Doctor for a firm diagnosis,. it could be a dermoid cyst or it could be something else. But medical treatment and professional ADVICE E IS WHAT YOU NEED. All the best.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.