I just had a HoLAP for my BPH

Posted , 13 users are following.

Two days ago I had a HoLAP procedure for my 44 gm BPH prostate. HoLAP is Holmium Laser Ablation of the prostate. Similar but less aggressive than HoLEP which is Holmium Laser Enucleation of the prostate. I was told if my prostate was somewhat larger, the HoLEP would be a better surgery for me.

I've been researching treatments for BPH for some 2 years now - from TURP, to GreenLight Laser, PAE, Urolift, PVR, Rezum, FLA (Focal Laser Ablation), etc. I found a Dr. Dora who trained at the Mayo Clinic, and who now works at the Mayo Clinic in Florida. I observed him doing a HoLEP on youtube and was impressed with his expertise. It was a 5 hour drive from my home. I met him in April and was extremely impressed with him and the Mayo Clinic facility and staff.

So 2 days ago I checked into the Mayo Clinic, had my HoLAP surgery, and left with a Foley catheter, going back to our hotel room after we had dinner at Ruby Tuesday's. Estimated blood loss was 5 ccs. Then yesterday, we returned to Mayo to have the catheter removed and to check my residual urine which was 54 ccs. I'm now home, doing well. Urine is clear (Bluish color due to some prescribed drug called Uribel) but no blood or clots are evident.

My impression is that HoLAP is similar to (FLA) Focal Laser Ablation, in that a laser is used to ablate (destroy) the prostate tissue with a laser wire that is poked into the prostate. The difference is that in HoLAP the laser wire is poked into the prostate through the urethra by a urologist, while with FLA, the laser wire is poked into the prostate through the rectum wall by an interventional radiologist using MRI guidance.

I'll keep you all informed of how I do in the upcoming weeks. So far so good. 😃

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I am interested in just how bad your flow was before the HoLAP and now after the procedure. I keep telling my Urologist that I am OK with my flow but think my Bladder is the problem. After having the Urolift my flow is worse.

• Posted

Jerry,

We all hope your HoLap works out very well. Thanks for letting us know about this/your procedure and whatever transpires. There are a lot of guys on this forum, like myself, who are still searching and considering our options for resolving our BPH issues. Take care,

Chuck

• Posted

Thanks Jerry. Please keep us updated on your progress. I assume HOLAP is out for me due to my 125 cc prostate. If

I had to do a procedure today it would be HOLEP (FLA is cost prohibitive). I'm hoping my flow stays good until one if the injectable BPH treatments becomes available. (I can dream can't I)

• Posted

Google "Youtube Holep Dr. Dora" and you can watch him do a Holep procedure. And I'm pretty sure Medicare pays for it. They said my Holap was covered. And as I said, I went to him for Holep, but because my prostate was only 44 gms, Holap was a safer option for me.

• Posted

I think Holep (Holap?) is ok for very large prostates. It can be done on prostates up to 1000 cc. I looked into it a few years ok for my 300 cc prostate and spoke with one of the inventors at Indiana U. and he sad 300cc is fine so yours should be ok too.

• Posted

Thanks for sharing Jerry. If HoLAp is anything close to HoLEp, you had the best procedure out there.

Are you paying for it or is your insurance covering it ?

• Posted

Anything done at the Mayo Clinic can't be beat. Too bad they don't have more locations.

• Posted

"HoLAP the laser wire is poked into the prostate through the urethra by a urologist"

so how is the laser wire guided, in FLA it's MRI with full MRI control of temperature, with HoLAP, what is controlling guiding and temperature

• Posted

Hi Holap procedure you had sounds great

Did you have total chronic urine rentention? Thanks for this info. My prostate size is 116 grams. Frank

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.