i just had bunion surgery and its been 5 days now need opinions

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi everyone, i just had bunion surgery on my left foot, its been 5. Days and trying to elevate as always, now i am just taking vicodin as needed coz i don't feel i need it every 6 hrs for the 1st 3 days. I was supposed to come back to change the dressing but unfortunately they cancelled me and no one can see me till Monday. I just want to know if its fine? And how do they change the dressing? The Dr. told me before the surgery that he close the incision with plastic surgery, so idk if there are still sutures to be taken out? If yes, do they put a numbing cream? Will it hurt? And btw, i work as a dental assistant and i have to go back in 2 weeks so that includes the week of my surgery. If anyone can give me any idea. Thanks will appreciate any response.

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi Joy. I think it's very different depending on what exactly has been done to your foot (screws etc). But I think the dressing will be fine unless there is blood through. I had my on 14 days, untill stiches were taken – and that hurt! I would ask for numbing creme! About taken painkillers, remebmer that it's part of the treatment as it's intiimflammatoric (we don't have Vicodin in Denmark, you would should maybe check for that). I was given severel different painkillers because of that and was told to take even though the pain was not so bad for 5 days, thers longer if you check this Forum.

2 weeks sound fast, the problem for me (now 5. weeks post-op) is the swelling and hurting when my foot is not elevated, but this is very different from person to person, so maybe fine for you. Consider a compression sock - maybe are ones without toes- when you go back to work. Happy healing :-)

• Posted

Hi thanks for the response, i

just went to my Dr. to change the dressing and i was fine. I had screws, and i still have crutches when walking so as not to put my weight on it too much. The Dr is asking me to come back next week for the suture/ strip removal and that's the time they can tell me if i can go back to work. I hope we can go through this phase fast. Happy healing too!

• Posted

Hi again,

Good for you, sounds just fine :-) I will have my check wednesday with x-rays, just hope everything is fine and I can start to move more around and 'go back to normal' :-) Thanks :-)

• Posted

Just to ask you, were you able to walk on your own after 2. Wks without crutches, coz that's just one of my concern. I wanna be able to walk on my own, I think my swelling have subsided a little bit because now i can close the strap of my boot not unlike the first few days. And also the associate Dr who saw me yesterday when they say suture removal it means only strip removal or the tape they put in to protect the incision coz my sutures are inside. It was a relief to know that its not going to hurt. Let me know about your xrays, goodluck, hope everything is good but i know it will be good😊

• Posted

Hi Joy.

Was at my check up with x-rays yesterday and everything looked fine-what a releaf:-)

I was adviced to go all in with walking on the foot in normal shoes with chrutches as needed, do excises with the foot etc to make the big toe and my ankle (which was kind of numb and not responding, like a dropfoot), but I'm happy and will do what is takes to have a foot in shape again. I asked when one can put weight on the foot afte having screws and he said no weight for 4 weeks (6 weeks of bones not optimal), so maybe be a little patient with the walking, but exercise up in the air, bending ankle, big toe, massage under the foot etc but maybe not so much weight... but maybe your doctor told you differently and all is well ;-)

• Posted

Im glad to hear that all is well with you. I am also trying to massage my foot like the back of it,  to check if its still tender but somehow getting better can put my foot down now with crutches. I will be back on tue for my appt. to also get a clearance to get back to work by wed. 2weeks and a day to be exact after surgery. Hopefully they will allow me.  I know sounds crazy but we'll see what the dr would say😊 

• Posted

Hi again. It sound like you have the perfect speedy recovery :-) I hope you will be 'cleared' to get back to work. good luck :-) 

• Posted

Hi guys,

I am new here. Just had my bunions removed two days ago. Just wondering if you sleep with your darko shoes on?My doc said it is ok not to have them on but I am a bit concerned as I spent most of the time in bed without them. Opinion is highly appreciated.

• Posted

Hi Sandra.

I also only had my shoe on when up, and like you spent most time in bed with my foot elevated- and everythibg fine with my foot now 6 weeks post op. I understood that the shoe really was about support and protection when 'walking'... Good luck with your recovery ;-)

• Posted

Hi Sandra, you can sleep without the shoes on, its better coz there's also a weight on that shoe. Just try not to forget to wear them when you stand or walk to protect your foot. 😊

• Posted

Hi Joy,

Many thanks for your advice. I haven't walked around except bathroom even had my meals in bed, very lucky with my husband looking after me for the weekend.

• Posted

Hi Vibeke,

Thank you for your advice. I look forward to be back on my feet again. I will have my doctor's appointment in two weeks time can't wait to see my feet without bunions. Was it painful to take the bandages off? 

• Posted

Hi Sandra,

No it wasn´t painfull having the bandages removed, they used some kind of fluid to soften up where tried blood stuck to the bandages, no problem. But the stiches removed was on the other panful indeed! But I guess you in UK you have inside stiches and only tape are being removed?

Like Joy adviced you, remember to put on the shoe when out of bed to protect your foot. I was jumping around alot on the chrutches and happen to fall on the bad foot without the shoe - not a good idea:-(

Best of luck :-) 

• Posted

Hi Vibeke,

I am not sure what I had if stitches or tape. I am in Australia not UK but I guess it is pretty much the same. 

Yes I put the Darco shoes on everytime I get out the bed. Having both feet done at the same time doesn't give me the chance to jump at all. lol...

Thank you again for your kind reply.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.