I just had MVD surgery Wednesday.

Posted , 11 users are following.

After 9 years of TN, my pain is gone. It's amazing, although recovery isn't fun. I would recommend this procedure to anyone with TN.

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I e pe t to hear tomorrow whether or not I am a candidate for MVD.  I am 67 years of age so having the surgery is now or never.  I had a reaction to carbamazepine.  At the same time I had difficulty chewing and swallowing.  I am now on prednisone for s few more days, off the carbamazepine, weaning off the gabapentin over the next 3 days, going on lyrics with microphone to help me with the transition and for the pain if the lyrics does not work.  I am also seeing s neurosurgeon in London On next week.  So in the next two weeks I should know what direction I am going in.  I have only had this horrible problem for 11 weeks but so far it is winning...the drugs don not seem to work for me...please give me as much info as possible about the MVD and your recovery.
    • Posted

You can look up videos for "Microvascular Decompression Surgery" that show the prodecure very well. Simply put, a opening is drilled into your skull, and padding is placed between an offending artery (the cause of the pain) and the trigeminal nerve. I spent 2 days in the hospital. From the moment I came out of surgery, I've been TN free with no TN meds. The surgery was 2 weeks ago tomorrow, and I'm already back at work, driving, etc. If your doctor says you are a candidate after viewing your MRI results, I highly recommend having it done. TN lowers your quality of life in so many ways.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.