I just had rotator cuff surgery in my right shoulder 3 days a go I've been experiencing difficulI d

Posted , 5 users are following.

I had my rotator cuff surgery Feb. 24th currently I'm experiencing difficulties with bowl movements. I hear it may be due to the meds given to me. I've stopped taking to see if that helps and been eating high fiber foods but so far nothing. As for the pain I'm just taking tylenol but if the pain gets as bad as I've been told I don't know what I'm going to do. Anybody experienced this and do you have any suggestions? Would truly appreciate the advice.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Pain meds cause the blockage

Wife experienced this after ankle surgery. Ended up having a colonic irrigation.

If you're worried, I would look up the number of a local colonic person, just in case you get impacted. It happens.

• Posted

Thanks for the info but I think I'll be ok, after all it's only been 3 days. I'm not very patient lol I knew there would be pain and or issues like the one I'm having, I just have to give it time. Was just wondering if anyone was experiencing this and what they've done about it. My doc did say I'm having issues to stop the meds if I can tolerate the pain and to try Tylenol, which I did but really isn't helping, so I'll have to see only time will tell I suppose, and my doctor. Thanks again

• Posted

Ugh, it comes with the territory.  Do not panic.  Make sure you drink a lot of water every day at least eight glasses of 12 ounces!!  Do not substitute other fluids for the water.  Drink other fluids in addition to the water.  I ended up eating a lot of chicken and beef soups to keep hydrating as much as possible.  I also ate a lot of ice cream, scrambled eggs and rice, chicken and rice, lettuce, bananas, oranges.  Fruit is a great source of fiber and moisture.  All that said, no bm for nine days. .  Gas yes.  I did not panic.  I let it do it's own thing 62 minutes of sitting on the commode, standing upright, walking around the bathroom, repeat.  Not too much discomfort, minor compared to the r cuff repairs.  Sorry for the details tmi for sure but do not panic we all go through it.  And please use the Rx meds to manage the pain.  You will be okay. 

• Posted

Thanks much appreciated, I am drinking plenty of water and trying to eat high fiber foods. One day at a time I suppose. Thanks again
  • Posted

Yes mine was awful but I'm prone to that anyway. I stopped pain Meds and muscle relaxers 2 days post surgery and started taking miralax, collace and dulcolax the day I got home from surgery. None of it worked for me but for most people it does so start with one or two of these and see if it helps. Dulcolax is the laxative the other two are stool softeners. You will likely need both. If it doesn't work contact your doctor you could try drinking magnesium citrate but it's awful. This would be way to much for most people so check with your doctor first. If none of this works they may tell you to do an Enima. Hope this helps, good luck. I've been there and I know how awful it is post surgery to deal with this on top of everything else.

• Posted

Argh....constipation! Just the worst thing! I'll be honest with you, I had it twice through pain meds (co-codamol) 45 minutes trying to eliminate! Sweating, shaking....eventually I had no choice but to adopt the "squat" position! Sounds gross, but I'm not embarrassed to talk about "toilet" issues lol, but had no other choice at that moment in time, you may benefit from a mild herbal laxative to clear the poo out, if a bowel gets too distended it doesn't work as efficiently, good luck, and happy pain free pooping xxxxx

• Posted

lol that mental pic you just conjured up made me laugh.....co-codamols did it for me....like a bung in a whisky barrell !!!! Ouch
  • Posted

Yes it is pretty common. In my post op instructions it said to Try dulcolax which is a laxative as well as miralax or collace which is a stool softener. Keep eating high fiber foods and drink lots of water. If none of that works call the doctor. If you've never taken these before take the least amount and see how you react. Good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.