I just turned 61 and have been having bone breaking cram...

Posted , 7 users are following.

I just turned 61 and have been having bone breaking cramps off and on for about 4 to 6 mos now. I have had them in one leg...the other leg..and both legs at the same time. I've had them in all parts of my leg front and back and deep in the thighs...that one is a killer. It really feels like someone is crushing my bones. Rubbing hurts worse...I can't walk far, and at times not at all. I have had them repeatedly night after night and then sometimes I make it through the night without them stealing my sleep. I seem to be having less and less sleep now days, some of it is because of dreading the morning hours. I usually can manage pain with my brain's endorphins that I can kick in. This pain is so intense I can't get much of a grasp on channeling my thinking. These cramps hurt worse than when my appendix busted open on a golf course and had 12 hours to live because it had gotten infected by the time I was operated on. This morning around 5 they hit...I was thinking as I went to bed, I would be able to sleep in because my 19 month old grandson, that we baby sit, would not be here because it was Saturday....sleep in to 7 AM or so. Did not work out that way. I have had cramps before from exertion in the farm fields and competion in tennis, track, well, all sports. But, those cramps were not like these. These grip you so tight that you can't break lose...only thing I have done is eat bananas, and nearly pass out from pain~! My doctor gave me water pills and then I see that those pills may cause cramps! What are we going to do! I have an adjustable bed, and tonight I will raise the head up some and try to sleep that way....one guy drinks pickle juice, will try that.....and one guy has rock salt at his bed to put under his tongue....will try that also. Doesn't someone read all these articles? It is going on more than I knew about! You people know what the pain is like...not your run of the mill cramp pain!!!!!!!!!!!! I do hope some research is conducted fast!

[i:7945b67b7a]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:7945b67b7a]

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hello,

I know what you go through - I've been dealing with severe leg cramps for many years that last all night long - night after night - and I am only 46. My suggestion would be that you ask your GP to check your Thyroid levels to see if this could have anything to do with your cramps. Also, if you are inclined to try alternative therapies - a good kinesiologist can be helpful with prescripting accurate dosages of minerals - particularly magnesium and calcium. This needs to be checked periodically if you find that the prescription works for a while then the leg cramps come back so that the dosage can be adjusted. Finally - alcohol (even in small amounts) really sends my legs into terrible spasms. I love wine but it really isn't worth what I have to go through.

I hope that maybe this recommendation will help you in some way - there are so many reasons that you could be experiencing these things.

Best of luck,

C

[i:fcab75cbf9]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:fcab75cbf9]

• Posted

I am 62 and had cramps when i was a little girl in seychelles. It seems to come back with the damp.! We left west scotland because of it. We are now in the NE england where it's dryer and it is less frequent. I just casme back from holiday in Seychelles, and i've had 2/3 bouts. A severe one this morning which lasted for hours.!! Not in the calf as before but infront, my shins and toes too. What can anybody suggest? I've just had a hot bath and now I'm going to get some tonic water. sad
  • Posted

I recently took part in a trial for a new cramp product. A friend of mine, Nick, gave me a small bag to put at the bottom of my bed.... it worked! In fact it worked for all 26 of his trialists. Apparently it dissipates static electricity, no pills. Fascinating. It's called crampWizard

Worth a try.

• Posted

Hi helen5

Was interested to real your post. Where do you get it?

• Posted

Hi jbbell,

I deleted the duplicate posts.

If you do a Google search on cramp wizard you can find this. We don't post links directly to selling sites so if Helen wishes to pass a link please use the private messaging service.

Regards,

Alan

Emis Moderator

• Posted

As the age passes by the bone and joint began to wear out. It happens due to lack of calcium in the bones. So you can prefer some calcium medicines than also if it persists than go for orthopedic , he can find out whats the exact reason behind the bone breaking cramps.
  • Posted

Hi, the cramp wizard has a website under construction, should be ready in a week or so. I have seen a video on you tube about it. I'm in a difficult position because patient co uk does not permit advertising.

Hope it helps,

Helen

• Posted

Thanks Helen

I have just ordered a cramp wizard. Hope it will do the trick!!

• Posted

jbbell, hope the cramp wizard works for you, please let me know how you get on, and good luck,

Helen

• Posted

I have had the Cramp Wizard for nearly 2 weeks now. At first it seemed to work then past 2 days it started again! It spread to my ankles and toes!! What can I do now? Anyone out there suggest anything????
  • Posted

I gave up with the cramp wizzard. Waste of money!! Docs put me on 200mg of Quinine tabs. Cramps all gone. But it does make me feel queasy at night.!!
  • Posted

From what I can gather, quinine tablets do seem to solve the problem.  My mother took them for some time and I dont think she had cramp after this medication.  I am going to try tonic water but I do not think there will be enough quinine in it to help.  Does anyone know if the quinine tablets have side effects and if so what and if my doctor cant or wont proscribe them can they be obtained on the internet or in the USA.
  • Posted

penny17 »lee80650 • 21 days ago

Just wondering if your Dr would agree to check yr VitD levels. I had similar - went on for yrs - slowly worsening until continuous aches & squeezing kind of pains & cramps from shoulders to toes. Thigh muscles front/back were the worse ones.

Eventually ended up weak thigh muscles and bone pains.

After insisting on referral to Rheumatologist discovered I was VitaminD deficient & anaemic (Haemaglobin results good but Hb cells were 'small & pale' .? Iron deficient) 

have been on 4000iu Vit D since February - within weeks the dreadful (almost permanent) squeezing sensation in thigh muscles ceased and I was able to relax in bed and my sleep improved. 

From research on the net I now take Vitamin D, magnesium, & VitaminK2. Slowly my body is adjusting. Physio tell me it can take months to regain full fitness as I probably been lacking Vit D for 10+yrs (told to avoid sun after malignant melanoma 1979) 

Worth looking up website for the Vitamin D Council.

NICE recently recommended that NHS advise people who don't get 1/4-1/2hr of sun 3 times a wk to supplement with Vitamin D  - especially during the winter months 

There is  a private Vit D blood test available via an NHS lab - easily found via search web or pick up details from the Vitamin D Council web site

I'm now in the lower end of 'normal range' so adjusting my intake to 2000iu per day

From my research it may do you no harm to try Vitamin D at 25mcg (1000iu) per day & get 15 mins sun on unprotected skin - see if it helps 

Good Luck

• Posted

my doc says these cramps are related to restless Leg Syndorome, which I often have. She rescribed REQUIP and so far so good. Ask your docs.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.