I just want some answers.

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi I'm 19 and 5 years ago I fell down the stairs and broke 2 ribs on my left side. It took weeks and numerous visits to different doctors for this to be diagnosed with a X-ray. To this day I have experienced different types of pain in different areas. It is worsening and spreading, I have severe back pain, I have hip ache and I also suffer from chest pains. I am always tired, I never have any energy and I'm very stressed. I'm currently studying my A levels and hoping to go to university, but this is going to be very difficult in my current state. I have seen physiotherapists and many other practitoners I've had acupuncture, been on Gabapentin to the point where I sturggled not to take them. I currently see a chiropractor which can only attempt to manipulate tender and stuff areas. My doctor is running out of suggestions and as I know someone with fibromyalgia I have concerns that this may be what I too have.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Oh bless you Rosie, you poor thing, and so young! It sounds like it could be FM, but also may be stress related, as you say you are very stressed. Have you seen a rheumatologist? If not, ask your GP to refer you. Also suggest you try some relaxation tapes for your stress. See Christine's discussion about how stress affects your body. Good luck x
  • Posted

my fibro strarted many years ago with odd symptoms .

but like you i fell and broke 3 ribs across the my back 

spent months in pain and unable to lie down so had to sleep for months

in a chair then i also had diaphragm pains shooting pains under my ribs and when several months later the pain finaly went ,

it strarted in other parts of the body .and over the years has just progressed

all over with acompaning fatigue . .

• Posted

Hi Rosie, sounds like you are having a rough time.  Amitriptyline which is taken at night helps to relax your muscles whilst you sleep, that helps.

One of the defining syptoms of Fibromyalgia to help diagnosis are the 16 pain pressure points.  These can be looked up on the internet and a Rheumatologist would check these as part of their testing.

Pain Clinics can be useful to some people.  It is definately agreviated by stress. So if you can find a way to emotional lower your stress all the better.

University is possible with Fibro and ME/CFS, I did it!  I learnt to not notice the pain within a certain level.  It was the times it went over those levels that I would notice it the most.  Microwave heat packs I one of my best friends x

• Posted

Poor you Rosie, feeling for you, you are soo young to have such suffering...as Jeanee said: a referral to a Rhumotologist will work wonders, they diagnose soo quickly...the sooner the diagnosis the sooner you can have done meds/supplements that target your issue...stress is such a bad thing for Fibro too..it's just beyond my thinking that a doctor that is running out of ideas hasn't referred you to a Rhumotologist, the shock to your system when you fell, is enough to bring Fibro as it usually brought on my a trauma/shock...be blessed  Rosie..try not to be sooo stressed out...your diagnoses is just around the corner..keep thinking of go thinking of going to Uni...be strong...:-) xx 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.