I just want to be thin!

Posted , 6 users are following.

i've been on these tabs for nearly 4 weeks now and i get weighed on thursday for the first time think i've done ok but getting totally fed up now does anyone else think it gets harder the longer you are on them. eating is such a big part of your social life what does everyone else do when they feel like giving up i need to loose about 2 stone :cry:

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Windy

If you think you have lost some weight and confirm it on Thursday at your weigh-in this will give you all the encouragement you need to keep going. I'm afraid after 3 weeks I have not done well at all. I had hoped these tabs would help me re-educate my eating habits by giving me bad side effects if I ate too much fat. I have not had any oily experiences at all - not one! Knock on effect - I have been eating nearly just as much fat as before. I even had a chinese a couple of days ago and it has had no affect on my digestive system at all! I wish it had then I might change my eating habits.

Anyway glad you are being more sensible than me and you should see good results from your efforts this week. Let us know how much you have lost. Well done for not giving up. It isnt easy!

Regarding the social life - surely some minor changes would mean that eating out is not impossible (Baked potato instead of chips/ boiled rice instead of fried, lean grilled steak or chicken with plenty of veg and ask for sauces to be put on the side so you can control how much you have).

Also, try new recepies. Dont get bored eating the same things all the time - that is sure to make you want to give up!

• Posted

Hey Windy

I have been on Orlistat for 3 weeks and so far have lost 7 pounds, which Im pleased with.

I know exactly what you mean about finding it hard when you are eating out or even at home socially.

There have been alot of birthdays in my family over the past month so we have had parties/dinners etc I have been trying to be good but with all the desserts that seem to get made it does make it hard.

If there is something sweet on offer I just have a little tiny piece and then I dont feel too left out!!

I have had alot of support from my family, which I think makes it easier.

Ive still got another 3 an a half stone to go, but am determined to loose it by March next year.

Try and keep focused!! I definately agree with Buddhabelly about trying lots of different recipes, I try and do something new every day as the same old thing (jacket pots for 1 week nearly killed me!) can get really really boring and make you loose interest! I think this forum is brilliant and has helped alot with different questions Ive had, also seems like a great support group which is definately needed :-)

Good luck with the weight loss and I hope the weigh in goes well!!

• Posted

Hi Windy,

I have been on the blues for five months now and lost almost four and a half stone.

I just take one week at a time, aiming to lose at least one pound a week minimum.

Just to warn you that after a period of time you will plateau (I have about three times) and really slow down, the tip is not to change your eating habits but keep going as you were and it soon starts up again.

I am a social pussycat and eat out a lot. I have found the safest meals are fish, potatoes, salads or veg.

Also you have to exercise at least twice a week or more

I hope that helps,

Sasx

• Posted

Answering the meal-out part of your question....... you can do this with just a bit of adjustment.

I eat out all the time for work and socially. Here are some simple rules – you could try and follow the ones that might work for you. Remember in a meal like this you are aiming for low fat and low calorie. And also remember it isn't for ever, but just for now while you put right a problem.

1. Sometimes I phone the restaurant a few days before and said I need to eat low fat, and could they think ahead and advise me on the night how they could help me – OK this won’t work if you are going to the Hard Rock, but if it is a smallish restaurant with a proper chef they can be very helpful. Typically when I get there (early) the MD’ may suggest I order one of 2 particular starters and one of 4 mains that they could cook without fat and that they would deliver to me without sauces/dressings . It can all be done without my guests being aware if that is appropriate.

2. Don’t skip lunch on the day but keep it low cal.

3. Don’t take the bread roll and butter when offered at the start of the meal.

4. Choose fish if you can, and choose the fish dish that sounds least fatted up. However don’t choose salmon as it is really really fatty.

5. Ask for vegetables or salad without dressings – that’s fine to ask for in front of people even if you can’t achieve point 1 - lots of people don’t like buttered up/oiled vegetables.

6. If it is a sauc-y cuisine and you have to choose a dish covered in one, choose tomato based sauces rather than cheese or cream sauces

7. Order the plain fruit pudding – even if it isn’t on the menu, they will always do a fruit salad or fruit plate. Don’t add anything at all to it – no cream, custard, coulis etc.

8. If you have coffee, do not add anything to it unless you are convinced it is skimmed milk – fat milk or cream will get you later.

9. At the end of the meal, go to the loo, and think if you have stuck to these rules mostly. If you have, then take a bluey. If you have mostly then take a bluey. You have gone wild and are away from home, then maybe don’t take that bluey.

Remember, the treat is the company, the occasion, the venue, someone else cooking and presenting tasty food – it doesn’t mean you have to go mad or act as though it is the only meal you will ever eat again. In 5 years time looking back, you won’t still be grieving over a bread roll of choccy pud you didn’t eat on 7/10/09, but you might still be grieving that you are an unhealthy and unattractive weight and didn’t do anything about it.

• Posted

[quote:9696bc2fb7=\"RR\"]Answering the meal-out part of your question....... you can do this with just a bit of adjustment.

I eat out all the time for work and socially. Here are some simple rules – you could try and follow the ones that might work for you. Remember in a meal like this you are aiming for low fat and low calorie. And also remember it isn't for ever, but just for now while you put right a problem.

1. Sometimes I phone the restaurant a few days before and said I need to eat low fat, and could they think ahead and advise me on the night how they could help me – OK this won’t work if you are going to the Hard Rock, but if it is a smallish restaurant with a proper chef they can be very helpful. Typically when I get there (early) the MD’ may suggest I order one of 2 particular starters and one of 4 mains that they could cook without fat and that they would deliver to me without sauces/dressings . It can all be done without my guests being aware if that is appropriate.

2. Don’t skip lunch on the day but keep it low cal.

3. Don’t take the bread roll and butter when offered at the start of the meal.

4. Choose fish if you can, and choose the fish dish that sounds least fatted up. However don’t choose salmon as it is really really fatty.

5. Ask for vegetables or salad without dressings – that’s fine to ask for in front of people even if you can’t achieve point 1 - lots of people don’t like buttered up/oiled vegetables.

6. If it is a sauc-y cuisine and you have to choose a dish covered in one, choose tomato based sauces rather than cheese or cream sauces

7. Order the plain fruit pudding – even if it isn’t on the menu, they will always do a fruit salad or fruit plate. Don’t add anything at all to it – no cream, custard, coulis etc.

8. If you have coffee, do not add anything to it unless you are convinced it is skimmed milk – fat milk or cream will get you later.

9. At the end of the meal, go to the loo, and think if you have stuck to these rules mostly. If you have, then take a bluey. If you have mostly then take a bluey. You have gone wild and are away from home, then maybe don’t take that bluey.

Remember, the treat is the company, the occasion, the venue, someone else cooking and presenting tasty food – it doesn’t mean you have to go mad or act as though it is the only meal you will ever eat again. In 5 years time looking back, you won’t still be grieving over a bread roll of choccy pud you didn’t eat on 7/10/09, but you might still be grieving that you are an unhealthy and unattractive weight and didn’t do anything about it.[/quote:9696bc2fb7]

Excellent advice RR. I was really worried about our 4 days in London next week for half term. I have not been away from home yet with the blueys and have been worrying about what to do.

Thanks so much.

Sx

• Posted

thanks so much for all your advice and comments x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.