I Just Want to go Back to Life...

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi everyone. 

I've been following your posts for a month. I've found a lot of relief with posts from Craig, 40, Sarah, Mono and others. Craig especially has relieved so much of my anxiety

I wasn't sure if I wanted to post or not. I wasn't sure if you all were actual people and if I would get the support I needed. I found that you all try to help as much as possible and I am in need of that now. 

My story: 

December 14, 2016 I got a really bad sore throat for around 3 days. It didn't feel like a cold just sand paper in my throat. Gargled with salt and water and it was gone. Christmas Eve 2016 I felt really weird. Really, really, really tired but was unable to really sleep. It was like a twilight sleep. Didn't feel like I was coming down with a cold. It felt as if my blood was different. Woke up Christmas morning and I was not better. I couldn't eat, my stomach hurt really bad.  I had previously gone to the GI doctor for a stitch pain in my abdomen that I could not figure what was going on.  Of course they ran no tests and gave me omeprozal for acid reflux which I didn't have. I had no heartburn or stomach burning.  I took anyway hoping that it would solve my problem.  It made me really tired. Now that I look back I realize it was the mono. Well, I called the doctor to tell him it was not working and making me feel tired. He prescribed protonix. Took the protonix on Christmas because I needed the stomach pain to stop. It made my throat and chest burn for days. I could not eat anything without my throat and chest buring. I lost about 25lbs in less than a month. I stoped everything. I was miserable January and February. My stomach was in a knot all the time. I went to the doctor so many times to figure out what was wrong with me. I went to a different doctor and he tested me for mono in February. March I decided I was not going to a regular physician because they were of no help. I decided to see a naturopathic doctor. He gave me some supplements and took away some foods and added more greens. That helped a little but not as much as I wanted. Still tired all the time, stomach pain, throat and chest burning pain. 

I am 8 months in now. I look back and know that I've come a long way. I continuously have throat and chest burning. I have aches pain throughout my body. The pains and fatigue comes in cycles. I'll be ok for a couple days then it hit me with a feeling as if I'm coming down with a cold. Then I'll be unable to sleep. I had really bad insomnia in the beginning. I have this tingling sensation in my legs below my knee.

I am getting frustrated and inpatient with it all.  No one believes me. They think that I'm fine and it's all in my head. For some reason there is a coorelation between the fatigue and depression. Whenever I have fatigue I feel the worst mentally. 

I am looking for support because my family is just not realizing all that my body is going through and I'm feeling like this will never go away. Also I am terrified of it turning into something worst. 

Thank you for taking the time to read this. 

1 like, 27 replies

27 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi shawna,

oh, I'm in England, just an hour from London!

thats why I call it glandular fever and you call it mono!

it is just the worst virus, and I never imagined it would last this long. Ever.

caroline x

• Posted

Hi Shawna,

Thanks for taking the time to share your story, I really do empathise having went through a tough time with the virus myself 10 years ago. The memories of how hard it was have stayed with me which is the reason why I come on to the site as I want others to know there is hope and there is recovery, even after this length of time for you Shawna.

It's so easy to lose hope when struggling and in pain, I really do get it and understand, you feel weary and people don't understand or get it and think you're crazy, etc, because you look okay physically and they can't see how you're feeling. But hang in there....there definitely is hope and is recovery and having read your story and been on a very similar journey, THERE IS HOPE, my turning point came around 10 months when things all of a sudden made a big jump forward in a short space of time - it's different for everyone though and yours may come before that hopefully. Key thing is to know you will get better and make a full recovery, even if it's hard to see that right now.

Thinking of you and do keep up with good vitamins, supplements, etc to help you. Hang in there

Craig

• Posted

Hi Craig, 

Thank you so much for your incredible words and the hope that you give to us all on here.  I read many of the stories on here and you were in all of the discussion giving hope to us who really don't know about the virus and who are losing hope. 

I hope this is not too personal but I want to ask you if did you started taking those vitamins that you mention to us from the begining of your virus and do you still take them all to this day?  When did you realize all of your symptoms were totally gone, never  to return? 

Thanks again for encouraging us. 

Shawna

• Posted

By the way Craig, I hope your back pain is improving. 
  • Posted

Hi All

Question:

Are there symptoms that really get you down more than others? For me it's my throat pain/burning/tightness. I think if I didn't have this I think I could manage but not for long. Lol It just makes me sad and depressed because I'm afraid it will turn into something else. My body malfunctioning makes me sad period.  The fatigue would be the second one. Feeling like it's a never ending story. 

I have a lot of stomach burning today with throat burning and these tingling sensations on my shins and forarms. I am praying and hoping this is not permanent and it goes away with the virus.  No one on this forum has the throat  problem like I do which makes me worry more. As you all can see I'm a big worry wort. 

I'm hoping we can follow each other through our journey of this virus together. 

Hoping for better days. 

• Posted

Hi Shawna,

I had throat tightness, no burning though. I think this virus makes everyone worry because it is something you have never felt before, I had tingling shakiness in the legs and arms.

• Posted

Hi shawna,

i think it's completely natural to worry.

when the depressive low mood comes over me... I turn glum and just need to stop.which goes along with the tiredness. Lately though it hasn't lasted as long.

it does kick up some strange symptoms. I hope it the throat burning pain passes soon. I get the burning in my legs, only at night though?!?!

x

• Posted

Yes I agree those symptom are mind boggling. The depressive mood has gotten so much better. In the beginning I was a different person.  Very depressed. It has gotten better within the last three months. 

Leg buring/tingling sensation happens to me at night too. 

• Posted

Hi Shawna,

Haven't had the chance to read all the messages in this thread yet, but yes just to agree it's an illness that definitely brings you mood down and makes you feel depresseed, the frustration and progress of it all really does that. Just to reassure you that you WILL get through the physical, mental and emotional symptoms and be back to full health again, recovery does happen with the virus even though at many times it doesn't feel that way - I really do understand and thinking about you.

Craig

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.