I know I have to remove my gallblader but how my life will change?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I was diagnosed with gallstones and I been eating the same way I was before the symptoms went away, until today, I am really worried on how my life and diet will change? And positive thoughts on your experience?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Helen most people return to normal eating habits after gallbladder removal. There's only a small percentage that have difficulties. I had mine out 4 months ago and am in the small percentage but have been told will get better over time. There are a lot of horror stories out there but most people resume normal eating and drinking habits a short time after the operation. In sure there'll be loads of people on telling you of their positive experiences. Good luck x
  • Posted

10% of people who have their GB removed suffer so it's hard to say how you will be Helen let's hope you will be fine and return to normal after 6 weeks I hope so xxx
  • Posted

Hi 

one year after removal and I am fine ..

.put on weight because I can enjoy food 

my variety of food has widened I can eat foods I haven't eaten for years ,

curries, cured meat, spicy food , rich food etc 

i have to eat all bran each day but they not be related ..

hope this helps my life has improved since removal 

• Posted

It's two years since I had my gallbladder out, took me a year for everything to settle down. The only problems I suffer from are an acidy stomach evey now and again, especially if I've been eating low fat, that trickle of bile needs something to work on, and I can't eat too much bread. Other than that I eat and drink everything as normal.

After my surgery my surgeon told me to just take things slowly, keep ant acids and buscopan on hand just in case. If something upsets your digestive system avoid it for a while then try a little again a month or so later, it's worked for me.

My cousin has had gallstones for years, refuses to have the gallbladder out because she's frightened, I told her if the pain gets bad enough she'll beg them to take it out.

• Posted

I am waiting to see about having my gallbladder removed,I have been on a low fat diet now for 3 weeks,I'm still finding out what I can and can't eat,I don't mind if I have to still stick to some diet or not as long as the pain goes away.I do know that the removeal of the gb may not take the pain away but I think its a chance I am willing to take.hope all goes well for you best wishes

Pat

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.