I know I'm old but my goodness doesn't this hurt!!

Posted , 7 users are following.

I'm Mary and I'm 76 years old and recently was getting a really sore knee and it got to the point where I was getting my husband who isn't in good shape at all trailing round the shops etc. My doctor went over me and I had a scan and was told I had RA luckily just in one knee. I'm currently taking glucosamine 1,500 mg and it is helping so much I'm now able to walk fine just not as much. Also has helped other parts of my body that were a little sore at times.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Takes a while to get used to the problem but I promise you you will if it gets to painful you must go back to your doctor for more help that what they are there for good luck with it Mary be strong
  • Posted

I understand. My first inkling that I had RA was one day when it felt as if someone dropped a piano on the large knuckles of both hands. I went to my GP that afternoon and he sent me immediately over to the rheumatologist. He diagnosed me on the spot. That was not the diagnosis I wanted to hear.
  • Posted

Is this really RA? RA is usually bilateral, the same on both sides.

Also, I'm surprised you're managing on glucosamine alone. Glucosamine is usually prescribed for ostero arthritis (OA) not RA – at least I've never heard it prescribe for RA.

Great that it's working for you!

• Posted

You're right, it is usually bilateral. But some of us (I am one of us) have something called palindromic RA in which the pain can be on the right or the left and can move around to different parts of the body. There are so many facets to this disease.

• Posted

It's definitely RA and you got to remember everyone is different. Yes I have it in one knee which in glad because being an older person I don't want my physical side taken away from me completely. As for the glucosamine they can be treated for both arthritis and it's helping it's not taken the pain away but it's easing it so I can go longer walking without it bothering me quicker.

• Posted

That's terrrific!

I have both RA and OA, being close to your age. Maybe I'll try the glucosamine too.

• Posted

Hi I also have been diagnosed with Palindromic RA  and only get flare ups in one joint at a time it's apparently a rare form of RA ive been told. I was prescribed Hydroxychloroquinne at first but now taking Sulfazaline . My last flare was in my right knee and lasted a month and having fluid drained from my knee. Anyone else had this problem.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.