I know its was amlodipine!

Posted , 281 users are following.

I am a healthy 58 yr old and normally very active. BP was rising over the last year or so to 178/98 and so this Jan my Doc put me on Amlodipine 5mg. Thats when it started. Firstly with a loss of energy, then total loss of stamina, I felt like a Zombie all the time. As the month progressed I started to get forgetful, dizzy spells, very tingly left hand and painful joints all througfh my left side. BP did not drop as fast as hoped so Doc added Lisinopril 2.5mg. Hey... off with the faries now! After two weeks I could not concentrate on anything people were telling me and to the point that I was becoming detached from the real world. And that was only after a couple of weeks on the cocktail. I decided to trial which drug was causing this and first removed the Lisinopril for a few days then swapped over to stopping Amlodipine. Cor.. what a difference. Almost the next day after stopping Amlodipine I started to recover. After just one week people at work are now saying 'welcome back' and I know what they mean. BP not down yet but I am never going near Amlodipine again, its a wrecker!

Has anyone else had anything like my reaction?

42 likes, 815 replies

815 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Any idea how long it takes to clear all side ffects after stopping the medication? My leg and ankles swelling went down within three days of stopping, but still have to fight the lethargy and insomnia after 8 months.
  • Posted

Hi Nigel, I have just been reading through all your replys and I cannot believe that for once I am right, have been taking Amlodipine for well I don't know how long, along with quiet a few other meds including morphine patches any way I digress I have been trying for so long to get someone to listern to me at my doctors about the 3 stone weight gain, even though I eat sensibly and for the last 6 months my hands, feet and other parts of my body have had skin flair ups and blisters having trying that many different creams I decided to research the last lot of new meds the doctor gave me which were the Amlodipine 10mg well there it was in black and white list of side effects a mile long of which I have quite a few so on Saturday I stopped taking them it is early days yet but I hope that things will start to improve and my life will return to a little bit of normality Thank you oncce again Nigel fo posting your concerns and I hope that you are on the mend.

And to everyone else out there in the same situation GOOD LUCK x

• Posted

Hi Christine, this site is wonderful and I am so glad that I found it as well!  I have learned a lot about Amlo from the comments posted.  So I am a bit concerned that you have stopped taking a 10mg Amlo dose just suddenly - are you monitoring your BP readings at home??  I have been reducing my Amlo meds over the past month or so because I was worried that my BP would get too high.  Unfortunately my doctor has told me that he will not stop the Amlo because when I was in his surgery last week my BP reading was high so I have been upset about that.  

So for the past week I have reduced my Amlo dose to 2.5mg - half a 5mg tablet - every second day.  This week I have watched my BP reading drop consistently, now down to the low 130's over 80.  

I feel like crying because this shows me that the less my body has to deal with this awful drug, the better it is!! 

So please take care of yourself Christine and let us know how you are going.  Hope you keep enjoying feeling better as you get off this Amlo poison!!    

• Posted

Hi Christine

I just stopped talking the tablets at 10mg ie amlodipine, and  my ankles stopped swelling and the aches and pains from the back of my knuckles on the LHS travelling over the shoulder muscles to the RHS, steadily dropped away. My BP went very high and blood sugar so I am T2 diabetic. With discussion with friends now cut out all sugar, all but a tiny amount of salt, and most foods like bacon. Am eating raw vegetables as in coleslaw, and putting fruits and veg in a blender to make smoothies. My weight is down 9Kg and feel much more active. BP has dropped using candersarten and one tablet of garlic daily. Garlic is an old established remedy.

If your doctor will not take you off amlodipine change the doctor or insist on a second opinion.

best wishes

• Posted

Hi Christine, glad to learn you stopped the Amlodopine. I also had many bad reactions to Amlodopine. Peripheral neuropathy being the worst. I could hardly walk after taking it for four years and thinking my problems were caused by other meds.  I am better now PN, fatigue, weakness forgetfulness and frequent night voidings all improving. Do hope others in trouble from the med find the sight and this thread. Good health to you
    • Posted

Hi carol

i just read your 8 month old post about p neuropathy .   I too suffer from that condition and have a question for you.  After stopping the amlodipine how long did it take for your neuropathy symptoms to improve

thanks

sandy 

• Posted

When I started this thread, I was a 'young man;, well, it was a few years ago now. Susequently I retired at 61 and set to to make sure I got really healthy again.  The BP drug I am on now, and have been ever since I gave up Amlodipine is Lisinopril 10mg. As an ACE drug, It works slightly differently but wow, it is so good. My BP hoveres around 130/80 and the doc is very happy with that. No side effects that I can see and I am now living a really busy life, AmDram, Music, Cycling, Holidays, you name it, we are doing it, so my advice to you all is persevere with your Doctors, get the right drug and enjoy life as it should be, don't put up with second class fob-offs. Amlodipine is NOT tollerated by everyone, even though the Doc's try and tell you that.  There are a host of other meds out there, one or two will suit you fine, so make sure that you get the help you need to find the right combination.

Wishing all the contributors to this thread a long and happy life on the correct medication.

Nigel

• Posted

Great news, Nigel - well done you!  Haven't tried Lisinopril yet but you are the second person to recommend it on the forum today.  However, if it works the same way as Ramipril (another ACE) I doubt I could take it.  Has your kidney function remained fine on it?  I hope you continue to do well.
    • Posted

the two are exactly the same chemistry, just different brand names.

I f you take lisoprill you are taking ramipril

• Posted

I just want to thank you for replying to my post from yesterday I am checking my BP and it is still fine I do not feel as tired my skin is less irratated and my ankles and fingers seem to be less swollen tried to see my doctor and was told he is on holiday for 10 days so will try and see him when he gets back, by then I should be in a position to say look it is working now I have stopped taking the Amlodipine so I want to try something else without any side effects

Kind regards to everyone

Christine

• Posted

Many thanks, for the information only been on it a few days, but feeling rough. 
    • Posted

Hi Mary.

Yep, that'show it gets to you. Give it a forghtnight, if still the same, back to your doc and get it changed, it's not worth persevering as it doesn't get any better, and can get a lot worse.

As you can see, we speak from experience.

Regards

Nigel

• Posted

Amlodipine is a killer and great for pacemaker companies.  I was on for two years and developed severe Bradycardia and irregular HB (missing beats).  After wearing a monitor it was found that at night my heart was stopping for up to 8 seconds requiring an emergency implant of a pacemaker. My beat was under 25 BPM.   Calcium Channel Blockers and Beta meds damage the electrical path from AVNode (Sinus) resulting in non-reversible damage.  I am waiting for the first class action suit for this and similar drugs.  Go to the Mayo Clinic site and check (Amlodipine and Bradycardia) or simply search for the relationship.  You will be amazed that doctors are still prescribing this med.  They must be in cahoots with manuf of pacemakers.  
    • Posted

GLGL, you're the third person I've come across to be on Amlodipine and to suddenly experience such things as heart block and need a pacemaker.  One is my hubby and the other our next-door neighbour.   I was on Amlodipine for several months but came off it due to very swollen ankles and a red blotchy rash that appeared on my lower legs which became permanent and has been diagnosed as varicose eczema - I think it really messed with my blood vessels.  I remember reading an article written by researchers at Brigham & Women's Hospital in the US saying that Calcium Channel Blockers such as Amlodipine should not be prescribed for women in particular as it had been found to cause a heart problem.  When I mentioned it to my consultant, he replied that that was never confirmed.  No smoke without fire comes to mind.
    • Posted

Mayo Clinic did a great report on the relationship of Calcium Channel Blockers and Beta Blockers AVnode conduction (sinus rhythm).  If you can't find it readily on the Mayo site, do a search on Amlodipine and Bradycardia.  By the way the damage is not reversible that is why a pacemaker is required.  Men are impacted just as much as I am evidence of that fact.
    • Posted

Very interesting reading although distressing for you to have this outcome. A class action against this foul medication cant come quickly enough, it has damaged so many people.
    • Posted

I'll have a look at the Mayo site - a very reliable source of information I know. Bit concerned now having read your comment about Beta Blockers though - Bisoprolol was added to my Losartan a couple of months ago.  Only a tiny dose so far - so not doing anything for my BP - but I'm an extra awkward patient with very high BP that doesn't want to reduce and which is attacking my sole kidney function which itself is already low functioning making BP treatment difficult....aaargh!
    • Posted

You need BP meds that do not harm the kidneys.

http://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-information/health-topics/kidney-disease/high-blood-pressure-and-kidney-disease/Pages/facts.aspx

Basicly you are seeking meds that are easy on the Kidneys.  I believe Losarten, which you are on, is one of those.  Losarten caused me significant body aches and muscle issues so was pulled off it by my doctor within a couple of months.

Good luck on finding a combination that will work for you.

• Posted

Many thanks for the link and for your good wishes.  Losartan suits me but is doing nothing for my BP; similar with Bisoprolol.  The consultant advised the GP to increase the dose after monitoring but as my kidney function reduced by a further 4 points within 6 weeks of adding Bisoprolol, the GP doesn't want to increase it but is writing back to the consultant for further advice.  I guess another medication will be tried - Ramipril has already fallen by the wayside as it made me nauseous and gave signs of bringing back a previous inflammatory illness; Candesartan increased my creatinine.  Did I say I was awkward?!!

​Shame the Losartan caused problems for you as according to my pharmacist it is the BP drug with the least reported side effects.  I hope they've found something that suits you now.

• Posted

I would like you ask your cardiologist about Clonidine.  It works on the brain totally different than the other drugs.  That is what I am on now.  It does have different kind of side effects depending on the dosage you will need.  It is generally prescribed as a use as needed but I was using it three times a day (.05 mg every 8 hours)(half a tablet) and it worked just fine. Now I am on .05mg twice a day. (At night and at mid day and with the health regiment I am on now I think I will be off the med in three or four months.   Please look up Clonidine in your search engine.  Side effect I am having the most trouble with is vivid dreams some are disturbing and dry mouth which is worse at night.  Other side effects are minimal.  I had an issue with leg cramps and constipation which are similar to side effects of other drugs. I now take a magnesium supplement which stopped the cramps and the constipation dead in the tracks however there is left over a heavy leg feeling in the early AM which wares off as soon as I am walking around.
    • Posted

Two years ago my BP hit 185/78.  Started on Amlodipine and Lisinopril.  I had started to take a low dose asprin .81 on my own about two months before that just on my own research.  The Amlodipine knocked me right on my butt after only 30 days.  I decided to keep on the Lisinopril and Asprine.  In one year my BP slowly dropped to 145/74.  Then I read where you can take an Asprine the wrong time of day and it has NO effect on your system.  So my doctore agreed to let me set up my own schedule as follows, in other words I bitched my way into it.

Morning 10mg Lisinopril and 12.5mg Hydrochlorthiazide (diuretic) tablet. 1/2 Asprin (.81mg)

Evening  20mg Lisinopril.  1/2 Asprin (.81)

In six months I'm down 120/64 at age 70.

I moved and had to get a new cardio who had a fit and immediately put me on Amlodipine 5mg again.  I imploded in two weeks.  Swollen legs, ankels, blurred vision, upset stomach, pain everywhere, shortness of breath, sleepless nights, tired all day long.  Couldn't find the kitchen garbage container I had just installed on the back of the pantry door last week.  Threw the stuff out on Wednesday (aft 2 wks) and today is Saturday and I'm starting to feel alive again.  I got another doctors appointment in two weeks...............I can't wait! 

• Posted

Hi ryan, very interesting post. I am going to take note of your meds , sounds like you are onto the right idea. I took Lisinopril years ago but doctors changed everything when Amlodipine came along. After trying to stick with the awful effects I am not taking any BP meds, I just want to be able to live my life and 'take my chances ' while taking care of myself.

Anyway I am wondering why your new cardiologist 'had a fit' if your BP reading is so good??? Confirms my experience with doctors getting 'anxious ' because they see my BP reading as too high when it is perfectly acceptable to me. Personally I am 'over it' , actual Health Care in my experience has stopped being about genuinely caring for people.

Good luck and good health

Suzanne

• Posted

You have to be very careful about writing to me Suezan - once I get started, I never know when to stop.  When you go to China and hide under a rock, my letters will still find you.  smile

My new cardiologist, who I researched for hours and found to be well qualified, seems to have a set program for new patients.  You tell him what your symptoms are and it does not matter what you say he just waits for you to finish and he starts you on his program.  I gave him a spreadsheet showing the first year (after dumping Amlodipine) on Lisinopril and aspirin going (daily) down from the 180's to the 140's. Added the mild diuretic for water retention, adjusted the dosage and split the aspirin. I stopped the chart after a year when we lost out dog and my wife and I were somewhat lost for a year and even moved to get a new start.  This doctor kept reading the damn chart wrong - he was reading it backwards.  He was in a hurry and had patients waiting.  Anyways, my current numbers are in the high 130's.  In the last year, we moved twice, built a new house, my wife is building a new career, I'm a pretty healthy drinker, and I had other personal issues that pushed my numbers up to about 145. Now that everything is settled and we get our two new rescue dogs, I'll be back into the low 130's or high 120's at age 70.  I'm good with that, so is my mother - same numbers - in her 90's.

This doctor went into a rant about being sued for malpractice if he lets we walk around with those numbers and not rescue me.  So he starts me on the same program I started two+ years ago that didn't work, bypassing everything accomplished.  I have some other issues (bad knees so I can't exercise) etc. etc. but they don't count.  He was telling me that recently my numbers were considered good, but now they want old people in the 120 or less no matter what.  Who's they......the drug companies!  Screw em....  wink  I feel good where I'm at and I can make more progress (if I want) without the drugs.

Now be careful if you add a diuretic.  You might get symptoms like gout - kind of a pain - but it helped.  Now with better personal behavior - I wouldn't need that - so it's me on that issue.  

Best thing I ever did.  I split the aspirin up - half in the morning and half in the evening.  What a difference.  Problem is you split a .81 mg. aspirin in half you need a magnifying glass to find the halves.  wink

I wish you well also.  If anything I have done helps, then my life becomes more worthwhile.  My theory now is most doctors develop a "formula" they try to force all of us in to.  But, we are not all the same.

ryan

• Posted

Very interesting to hear from you ryan. Personally I am not taking any BP meds for now. Not taking BP readings, it was really doing my head in! You have put such a lot of time and research into your meds, seems to be working well for you.

Your writing about the rescue dogs you and your wife have taken on was lovely to read. I hope you are both keeping well.

Anyway I definitely say screw the dtug companies too! Here in Australia doctors seem to be locked in to a system of health care based on prescribing meds to patients rather than engaging with patients as people.

Sue B

• Posted

I knew there was a simple answer to BP problems.  " Personally I am not taking any BP meds for now. Not taking BP readings,"  

The not taking BP readings is the best answer I've read in a long time.  Got into a minor argument with my cardiologist - he wants me on drugs. Here in the states the drup companines keep track of every perscription and the doctor who ordered it.  Then those doctor's get a commission.  See the problem here?

Kind of neat having a friend in Australia.  Good luck.....   wink

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.