I literally don't know how to cope

Posted , 9 users are following.

I have known I have had a problem with alcohol for a few years now. It has come and gone in waves of severity. I am at a low at the moment and I feel like I am at risk of loosing everything.

I have a loving fiancé, a good job, great friends and a good family. But I am pushing everyone away from me and I know that I am. I don't know what to do, I have been on a detox which lasted a while, I have tried to cut down. I don't want to loose the amazing man in my life and I know I might do.

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Try and find the reason that you are self destructive. You know what you want, there is something not sitting right with you. Have things been like his all your life? Maybe your expecting things not to workout anyway, or it could be that something is inside you is saying you don't deserve good things. It could be that someone once let you down in a big way. Drink is just something that you know, a way of controling what happens to you, even though it's mostly bad. Do you want abstinence or to cut down?

• Posted

Well done for seeking some help and support before you lose all those things.  It's not necessary to hit 'rock bottom' before something can be done.

This was the method I used to help me.  It's called The Sinclair Method and is a medical treatment to help your reduce your drinking down over a period of months (to abstinence if that is your ultimate goal).

https://patient.info/health/sinclair-method-for-alcohol-use-disorder

• Posted

Most importantly CB..you have lost you....the man, the job..etc...doesn't matter if you can not find YOU.

You will have to do something for you....to change anything else...be it...total abstinence...or something such as the Sinclair method (moderated drinking with medication).

You are probably an amazing woman as well...but beating your mind and body with alcohol sad..I know this story all to well...I have struggled for years....Once I was sober for a while I started liking me..and everything CAN fall into place once you do that.

You say you have "been on detox"..how long?  Are you drinking now? 

Try to make a plan...it has to start somewhere.....and just keep trying to achieve some goals...a small goal each day.....A great goal is not to drink...not always achievable...but once you get a few days dry behind you....the work can begin.....detox is horrible.

Keep posting..many of us know how you feel..there is not one way to do this....you have to find YOUR way and what works best for you. 

• Posted

Sinclair Method I never used but it is getting a lot of positive feedback here from LOTS of people...try it!! Robin
  • Posted

I was you 68 days ago. I got sober August 19 and my.life has changed so much. Reach deep inside you, it's there. I promise it's there. When you find it don't let go. The gift of sobriety is one I will cherish forever

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.