I live in the US, how do I get Betahistine for my Menier's?

Posted , 10 users are following.

I live in the US and according to my ENT doctor Betahistine is not available here. He said all major studies show it doesn't work but admitted he has some patients who are using it with good results. Since there doesn't seem to be any major side effects I wonder what I have to lose giving it try? Can someone who lives in the US please share a reliable source. I found Cloud Pharmacy in Vancouver BC that looked promising but who knows.

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Edited

Hi John. Any compounding pharmacy in the US can make it for you. I live in Pittsburgh and would certainly give you a name here that I use but I have to believe you have a compounding pharmacy near you. Almost all are independent pharmacies.

Start at a low dose....maybe 4mg 3Xday and every couple weeks titrate up until at least 16mg 3Xday. You might need more than that amount.....I need 16mg 4Xday....to reach your individual effective dose. Keep at it until it works. Don't give up on it. Insurance does not cover betahistine. Here in Pittsburgh 300 16mg capsules will cost you around $130.00 and higher

Also, do NOT take any ORAL antihistamines with betahistine. You can take an antihistamine SPRAY into the nose only. That will not neutralize the betahistine because it does not go through your blood system.

BTW there are studies by the NIH that show betahistine is SIGNIFICANTLLY effective in eliminating vertigo in MD patients. But as I've said in other messages on this forum, betahistine does not work for everyone....about 80% notice improvement. Good luck.

• Posted

Does betahistine have any effect on endolymphatic hydrops? If you are noticing fullness in your ear due to hydrops, will betahistine lessen the fullness?

• Edited

Thanks for your feedback. You said not to use oral antihistamines with Betahistine. Does that mean that antihistamines aggravate Menier's? I take a Benadryl at night for sleep and now I am wondering if that could be making my symptoms worse.

Also, If I find a way to get Betahistine can I cut the 16mg capsules into 1/4's for the starting dose? I know I should ask the pharmacy but they might just want to sell me more pills.

My Doc is suggesting steroid injections into the middle ear but that doesn't sound like fun. Have you tried that?

• Edited

John, you should not try to cut betahistine into smaller portions. Order and use the dose your doctor prescribes. You should start on a low dose so that you avoid the mild side effects such as flushing or indigestion.

Betahistine is just what the name says....it's a histamine. If you take oral antihistamines (which circulates through the blood stream) you will be neutralizing the effect of betahistine and it will not work. If you switch to a nasal spray type antihistamine you will be fine because nasal sprays do not go through the blood stream and thus can not neutralize betahistine. Make sense??

• Edited

I have been using 24mg of Betahistine every 8 hours in California since 2017 and it has been extremely helpful. Any compound Pharmacy in America or Canada can fill your prescription. The prices can be wildly different so doing some research will save you some money my friend 😃 When Walgreens raised their prices I found Nucara Pharmacy in Coralville Iowa that would fill the prescription and just ship it to me. To save shipping costs I would have the Doctor issue a prescription for 540 capsules with three refills. The maximum capsules per bottle is 270 because of the short shelf life but they would keep track and you can use their App for easy refills. They also have overnight shipping available for $30.

• Edited

My Kaiser doctor refuses to prescribe Betahistine even if I am willing to cover the cost myself and assume all responsibility. He has offered steroid injections but doesn't seem to be very enthusiastic about them. It is becoming debilitating and I need to do something.

He did give me reading material on a type of migraine that has similar symptoms to Menier's without headaches. I occasionally get headaches but they are not severe and remedy easily with Neproxin. Any thoughts on that possibility?

• Posted

I had number of steroid shots through ear drum. Only 40% cases have good results. Rather taking steroid orally should be better although it is more risky with severe side effects.

Betahistine is much more worthwhile and safer.

• Edited

Hi John.... a late reply but I only just joined.

I've just been given a provisional diagnosis of Meniere's. Having read up on it I figure it's probably accurate, but I live in hope it may just be BPPV, and am awaiting an ENT appointment.

My GP here in the UK prescribed Betahistine to me weeks back and it has had damn-all effect that I could measure. I keep trying it on and off... when I'm desperate... just in case... but nothing.

It seems to be the go-to prescribed drug here in the UK, but that is no recommendation at all considering how in-deep with Pharma and private contracts our NHS is these days. The consensus out there on the web seems to be it has no more effect than placebo, but as it also seems to have no downsides... why not. Give it a try. This thing is so bad I'll clutch at an passing straw. Good luck.

John

• Posted

So it can be ordered on eBay without a prescription? I see its $85 for 180 tabs.

• Edited

I got it at a pharmacy that formulates, but it didn't work for me. I did need a prescription and I sure wouldn't trust eBay for it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.