I'll have to give it a go

Posted , 7 users are following.

been a heavy drinker since my teens, I'm early 50's now back in December I lost my sight due to a retinal occlusion in my one good eye, then having to wait almost 3 months for a operation on my gammy eye to try and give me back some vision, sent me in to a deep dark place (almost suicidal)

I didnt speak about it as everyone was looking at a positive outcome to the operation but I hit the booze even harder after the opp I am now visually impaired but the drinking kept going. I would buy 3/4 bottles of strong beer 5% to 7% along with a bottle of wine and call in the pub on the way home for 2/3 pints of Guinness 

I started getting pain in my right kidney area and kept telling myself in the morning when the pain would happen, that I had to stop drinking as I'm killing myself.

Then in the evening the cravings would start and off I'd go to get my supply, it was a bit like Groundhog Day I'd tell my self the same thing the following morning and go for my fix in the evening

i have also put on an horrendous amount of weight to the point I'm classed as morbidly obese 

I last drank on Sunday, the usuall plus around 6 extra pints of cider today is my second day of cold turkey, I was ok yesterday (Monday) which is when I found this forum and have had cravings tonight (Tuesday) tried to keep them at bay by eating and drinking soda water 

im thinking of going to my gp to see if he will prescribe nalmefene if not I may purchase on line, but I can't be doing AA 

appologies for the long winded intro but I'm hopeing this will be the start 

0 likes, 61 replies

61 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I tried to stop on my own. I'd always drink again. When I wasn't drinking, I'd be thinking of drinking. I'd always go back to drinking and then drink more than I intended. Once the alcohol was in me the craving would continue beyond my control. I'd drink until I passed out. That was years ago. My drinking was never really 'social'. Though for years, I told myself I was in control and due to the circles I was in and the pubs I frequented and then the bottles of wine after the pub, I lived the fantasy that everyone drank like me and this was normal.

It progressed. I ended up in an asylum for a day, numerous jail cells and then the hospital. On two occassions the dts. I saw tormenting ghosts telling me they were going to kill me for five days and they would be there all day following me to the pub. I drank to get rid of them. This I later learned, were dts. I got into a pub fight and had my ribs broken and was separated from alcohol, only because I was in hospital with broken ribs, for 48 hours, this is when the dts kick in. I had still told myself I was drinking socially. Before this experience I'd been on a three-month bender. Rememeber, I began as and still believed I was a 'social' drinker and I was in control.

I went to rehab, got an alcohol worker through the NHS. I still kept drinking and kept getting arrested. Left England and had a three day black out in an airport.

I kept drinking. Suicide seemes like an option. I kept drinking. Another detox and then I gave in. I surrendered. Alcohol is more powerful than I am. I asked for help from A.A. and worked The Steps.

I haven't drank for 9 months and 15 days.

I couldn't do it on my own. I had lost the choice in drinking alcohol. No matter what my memories were of my past drinking I always returned to it. My will power was non-existent and failed in regards to alcohol.

My name is Richard and I am an alcoholic.

Thank God, that I've relaised that and I get the chance to make amends.

• Posted

Dear Richard. YOu are a brave man and we all wish you a continued recovery. For your one year celebtation i suggest that you do something you would normally do. Perahaps driving a Ferrari or parachuting?? Anything wild to celebrate your fabulous life. I wish you all the best!
    • Posted

Thanks, Robin. I still live life on the edge just without the booze. A parachute jump sounds like a good idea.
    • Posted

thanks for your reply Richard and well done on your achievement, its early days for me at the moment and i know by Friday the urge to drink will get stronger as Friday has always been the end of the working week and time to get bladered

Friday would or will be stock up in the house go to the pub order two pints of guinness when i walked in as the first wouldnt touch the sides then another 2 maybe 3 before going home to cook a meal and start drinking my stock a la Keith Floyd while cooking, making sure food would not be ready untill ive downed my beers then i could justify opening the wine to have with the meal

i suppose i dont see my self as an alcoholic because i dont get up at 8 am and reach for a drink but i do realise i have a problem but am i ready to admit i have a problem and as i said its early days  

day 3 ahead

• Posted

Dear paulwgun, don't give up trying, you really can do it....I was like you.....sectioned four times....four home detox .....near death on quite a few occasions...awful, awful times for my lovely family....I have been well for over twelve years...I tried over and over and over again..but eventually made it....I had an ALCOHOL NURSE who became a true friend...please keep trying, you are worth it xxxx

I truly wish you well.Deirdre xxx

Paul...very, very, very well done on keeping sober, you are a real inspiration....all the good WISHES to you also ...d xxx

• Posted

No, it's not a fight. It's a surrender. Give in and ask for help. That is if you think the alcohol is more powerful than you.
    • Posted

Hi Richard, very well done...ni tried AA a few times, but it was to intense for me...( not the god part....I am a Roman Catholic. )..

The people were lovely, but I would could home more depressed..I look back on those ten years of ABSOLUTE hell, it seems like a different life....but I still wake every morning and thank god that I have recovered....twelve and a half years sober....

I found cas more helpful and my psychiatrist...not so keen on the four sections...but they worked....

It is hard giving up, but it gets easier with time...listen to Paul's advice. He is very sensible and knowledgeable...very many congratulations to you on your achievement. You like me have made a great change in our lives too....I urge others, nust keep trying,...if you slip up, we all have many of those !!! Just pick yourself up and try again, and again, and again...you will get there in the end...regards..Deirdre xx

• Posted

Bit of an update start of day 5 and dry been to see my GP this morning he wouldn't prescribe anything but gave me contact details of a local drug/alcohol abuse centre I've just spoken to them on the phone and waiting for a assessment appointment

I've got a family birthday party this evening

At a local pub so I think I'll have a heart to heart with the mrs after work before we go

• Posted

best of luck but be careful this evening with the big family birthday party...
    • Posted

didnt go as planned im afraid, ended up drinking 3 pints and 2 wines but drank 4 pints of soda water in between

the mrs was brilliant offering me soda water when she was getting a drink

instead of automatically getting a guinness 

bit of a glich i suppose but its early days hope to hear from my councillor this week

• Posted

Oh well, at least you tired. You managed to moderate which is more than I could do.

Read this if you like: "Most of us have been unwilling to admit we were real alcoholics. No person likes to think he is bodily and mentally different from his fellows. Therefore, it is not surprising that our drinking careers have been characterized by countless vain attempts to prove we could drink like other people.

The idea that somehow, someday he will control and enjoy his drinking is the great obsession of every abnormal drinker. The persistence of this illusion is astonishing. Many pursue it into the gates of insanity or death.

We learned that we had to fully concede to our innermost selves that we were alcoholics. This is the first step in recovery.

The delusion that we are like other people, or presently may be, has to be smashed.

We alcoholics are men and women who have lost the ability to control our drinking. We know that no real alcoholic ever recovers control. All of us felt at times that we were regaining control, but such intervals –usually brief—were inevitably followed by still less control, which led in time to pitiful and incomprehensible demoralization.

We are convinced to a man that alcoholics of our type are in the grip of a progressive illness. Over any considerable period we get worse, never better. We are like men who have lost their legs; they never grow new ones. Neither does there appear to be any kind of treatment which will make alcoholics of our kind like other men. We have tried every imaginable remedy. In some instances there has been brief recovery, followed always by a still worse relapse.

Physicians who are familiar with alcoholism agree there is no such thing as making a normal drinker out of an alcoholic. Science may one day accomplish this, but it hasn’t done so yet.

Despite all we can say, many who are real alcoholics are not going to believe they are in that class. By every form of selfdeception and experimentation, they will try to prove themselves exceptions to the rule, therefore non-alcoholic.

If anyone who is showing inability to control his drinking can do the right-about-face and drink like a gentleman, our hats are off to him. Heaven knows, we have tried hard enough and long enough to drink like other people!

Here are some of the methods we have tried: Drinking beer only, limiting the number of drinks, never drinking alone, never drinking in the morning, drinking only at home, never having it in the house, never drinking during business hours, drinking only at parties, switching from scotch to brandy, drinking only natural wines, agreeing to resign if ever drunk on the job, taking a trip, not taking a trip, swearing off forever (with and without a solemn oath), taking more physical exercise, reading inspirational books, going to health farms and sanitariums, accepting voluntary commitment to asylums—we could increase the list ad infinitum."

• Posted

Oh well, at least you tried. You managed to moderate which is more than I could do.

Read this if you like: "Most of us have been unwilling to admit we were real alcoholics. No person likes to think he is bodily and mentally different from his fellows. Therefore, it is not surprising that our drinking careers have been characterized by countless vain attempts to prove we could drink like other people.

The idea that somehow, someday he will control and enjoy his drinking is the great obsession of every abnormal drinker. The persistence of this illusion is astonishing. Many pursue it into the gates of insanity or death.

We learned that we had to fully concede to our innermost selves that we were alcoholics. This is the first step in recovery.

The delusion that we are like other people, or presently may be, has to be smashed.

We alcoholics are men and women who have lost the ability to control our drinking. We know that no real alcoholic ever recovers control. All of us felt at times that we were regaining control, but such intervals –usually brief—were inevitably followed by still less control, which led in time to pitiful and incomprehensible demoralization.

We are convinced to a man that alcoholics of our type are in the grip of a progressive illness. Over any considerable period we get worse, never better. We are like men who have lost their legs; they never grow new ones. Neither does there appear to be any kind of treatment which will make alcoholics of our kind like other men. We have tried every imaginable remedy. In some instances there has been brief recovery, followed always by a still worse relapse.

Physicians who are familiar with alcoholism agree there is no such thing as making a normal drinker out of an alcoholic. Science may one day accomplish this, but it hasn’t done so yet.

Despite all we can say, many who are real alcoholics are not going to believe they are in that class. By every form of selfdeception and experimentation, they will try to prove themselves exceptions to the rule, therefore non-alcoholic.

If anyone who is showing inability to control his drinking can do the right-about-face and drink like a gentleman, our hats are off to him. Heaven knows, we have tried hard enough and long enough to drink like other people!

​Here are some of the methods we have tried: Drinking beer only, limiting the number of drinks, never drinking alone, never drinking in the morning, drinking only at home, never having it in the house, never drinking during business hours, drinking only at parties, switching from scotch to brandy, drinking only natural wines, agreeing to resign if ever drunk on the job, taking a trip, not taking a trip, swearing off forever (with and without a solemn oath), taking more physical exercise, reading inspirational books, going to health farms and sanitariums, accepting voluntary commitment to asylums—we could increase the list ad infinitum."

• Posted

Totally awesome as the Americans would say!! What an impressive analysis of the problems and my absolute favourite is "The persistence of this illusion is astonishing. Many pursue it into the gates of insanity or death.."

I survived a near death car crash and this obviously changed my life since I walked away withot even a migraine...was doing 90 miles per hour, smashed into the central steel barrier and drove into a ditch and drove at an angle of approx 30 degrees but still fast at 80 miles at least. Car overturned 180 degrees of half circle, landed on the roof and then skidded for 32.5metres,,yes, the police measured this. Went to hospital with internal injures and 2 broken ribs and some glass in my hand where my  watch had been torn off my wrist and also some skin...back to work after 2 weeks and no scars...Move on: I was even more hyper and carried on drinking for years but stopped 2 1/2 years ago..why??  My small children and too much to live for..only advice I can give is that IF you have something truly worth living for and wishing to live longer without drinking then that is my advice. It worked for me 100%

• Posted

Yeah, I did similar mad antics when I was drinking and always returned to the drink.

The passage above that I added and you referred to helped to get me sober. It took me a few more returns to the drink and the attendant suffering first (one of which you described in your story) until I listened to the passage and accepted it as me. Then my journey into sobriety began.

• Posted

hi Richard. You are on the right track and well done. Just to clarify: I had not been drinking when I crashed the car but was glancing away from the road for 5 -10secs looking at a road map (!) and by then road had a slight turn and I was driving straight ahead at 90 mph and had to turn the stearing wheel and then hit the steel central barrier.....still a good story....keep going!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.