I lost my apetite and got constipation after pancritites?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello Every one! I did experience exterme abdominal pain (42 days ago) and was admitted to hospital and was diagonised with acute pancreatities. I spent three days im hospital. My amylase value was 576 then. Inflammed pancrease was detected on CT scan. No gall stones found on the ultrasound. I had smilar attack 8 years ago but was not admitted to hospital. I was heavy smoker (stoped it 7 months ago) and drinker (stoped it after latest pancreatatic attack). My problem is To this day my apetite is lost and I am constipated. I am back to work and I do physical jobs for longer hours in the day and night time. I am managing the work. Can you guys help me what is going on? Regards, Dink

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Dink

It is pretty normal not to have much of and appetite for sometime , physically limited energy, lots of fatigue. It takes awhile to recover if you ever fully recover. It took me 6 months to start to feel somewhat normal still don't have the energy I did before. Low fat diet easy digest able foods small portions ell some folks. And as funny as it sounds my doctor has me take a chewable flint stone Vitiam each day very easy to digest and helps with energy. Your will go thru a lot of changes don't sweat it , it can be d or c at the toliet for a while. Good luck give yourself time.

• Posted

Dear Jimmy: I appericiate for your advice. Thank you. You see, I had a history of anxiety as well. It runs in our family. I am scared that I may developing chronic pancritities. It is second time that it happenef to me. I did not know what it was when I had it 8 years ago. I kept drinking and smoking. I would cut drinking and smoking had I knew it was acute pancritites. I also sometimes fell a little pancreatic pain upper abdomen for few minutes (1 out of 10). I am 36 years old male planning to get married after 5 months. But I am worried that I may not be fit individual for that. I am hopeless. I regreted that I did not know what it was when it did happen 8 years ago.
  • Posted

I had the same thing happen to me on June 11th. Was hospitalized and constipated as well when I got out. I went and bought a container of blueberries at Frys and I had a bm the very next morning. These are good for the pancreas too, and all natural, worked great for me. You might not get your appettite back for a while, mine is just coming back and they told me it would probably be a month for full recovery. Good luck to you in the future with this, hope you begin feeling better soon.
  • Posted

Hi Dink,

My husband had an acute attack on May 26 while performing on stage.  Being a man he wouldn't let me take him to the hospital that evening but I manager to get him to the ER the next morning.  He was hospitalized for ten days, on morphine every four hours and total IV fluids.  His organs were shutting down and he was extremely dehydrated.  From May 26 to June 10 he lost 28 lbs and I had to force him to eat small meals every 3 to 4 hours.  He no longer has any form of alcohol, gluten free diet, twice weekly I make him a vegetable juice with 6-8 veggies and always an apple and he takes a digestive enzyme every time he eats any food.

Fried foods, pork products are no longer in his diet and after 7 weeks he was allowed only one 8 oz cup of coffee a day.  Each morning he drinks 24 oz of filtered water to start his day.  When he came home from the hospital he had to take naps both morning and afternoon and no physical activity.  This was the first time in his life that he had ever been sick.  Both of his hips have been replaced and he had fully recovered from these surgeries in less than three weeks.

Around the 10th of July he felt his energy returnig and now goes to the YMCA to work on rebuilding the lost muscles.

The doctors had multiple ultrasounds, cat scans and mri but couldn't find the cause.  I am bound and determined that he stick to his diet so that he doesn't suffer another attack.  

I was told to get a Champion Juicer and I feel that him drinking these vegetable juices has helped him recover much faster along with the diet change.

Hope that this information helps.

• Posted

Hello Pauline: Thank you for your worthy advice. And It is nice that your husband is recovering at the end. What I have learnt from this sickness is that alcohol and tobacco must be avoided what ever triggered pancreatitic attack. Zero alcohol!!! Just to be on the save side and low fat diet etc. I am sure that the reason why it did happen again to me was because I continued to abuse alcohol and tobacco after my first attack because i did not know what it was then. So far I am contacting GI docotors and did about blood tests and ultrasound and they are all.normal. Doctors said I do not need pancreatic enzymes. But I still do not have appetite. I decided to wait for some time and see what happens next. Finally no alcohol!!!.Thank you for sharing your toughts.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.