I lost my appetite for 2 months now and counting

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi everyone,

Im 22 years old, registered nurse but currently on sick leave and most probably resigning because of this serious health matter up to now is still not known to me. If you wish to read my moderately long stor of mine then thank you for the time and wish I could get some advise or comments based on your own experiences

I was admitted 2 months ago of Dengue/Viral Exanthem/Serious Autoimmune Disorder of which I'm not sure but my Doctor told me it was Dengue but what happened to me right now is something not Dengue at all. After discharge from the hospital, I felt I lost my appetite and I feel tired most of the time and usually sleep almost whole day and I just thought it may be the recovery stage and just need to rest for a week inorder to regain back my normal health condition. However, second week came and still there still they are. Along with numbess of extremities, tired most the time and feeling cold sometimes. Until 3rd week, month, and 2 months and still my appetit gone but the fatigue issue has recently subsided. My main concern now is my poor appetite in which I can not feel the necessity to eat something not unless i already feel cold, uneasy and tingling sensation which is a sign that my sugar has dropped already but still my brain is not saying to me that I need food or I am hungry. It's kinda very frustrating.

And talking about our steps to solve this issue these where the list of Doctors we visited for a check up:

1. Gastroenterologist - who said I dont have any problem at all, its just in my mind. She kept on insisitng that I am just very anxious and would refer me to psychiatrist if I fail to destress my self. And gave my Multivitamins (Mosegor Vita) for my appetite. 

2. Invasive Cardiologist- clear/ no findings

3. Neurologist- no procedures done and based on my physical appearance she said I am clear, just anxiety

4. Pulmonologist- clear/ no findings

5. Gastroenterologist- (out of town)- clear/ no findings

6. Rheumatologist- I was suspecting most of the time of auto-immune such as Lupus so I asked my nanay (mother) to go to the other City (5-6 hours bus ride) and so far no findings at all

7. Psychiatrist- gave me antidepressant ( I know for sure I am not depressed)

Here are the laboratory test and procedures done on me

1. CBC (3-5 times): No significant findings

2. Urinalysis (2 times): No significant findings

3. Stool exam: No Significant findings

4. Thyroid Test (2 times): No significant findings

5. Na+K+ (2 times): Not that significant but hypokalemic a little bit

6. SGPT: Normal

7. BUN: Normal

8. Serum Creatinine: Normal

9. ESR (2 times): Normal

10. Chest Xray: Clear

11. Chest CT Scan: Clear

12. Gastroscopy: Bile Gastritis (not that significant)

13. Colonoscopy: Hemorrhoids Grade A (not that significant)

14. H. Pylori Test: Negative

15. ANA Test: Negative

16. C Reactive Protein: Negative

17. C3: Normal result

18. HIV 1 and 2: Non reactive

19. Hepatitis B: Non reactive

20. Hepatitis C: Non reactive

And still I end up with this lose of appetite thing and its very disturbing when you usually love to eat foods everytime and just dont forget them suddenly/abruptly. I have diarrhea sometimes but i do formed stools also. I also feel cold specially early morning when I wake up a cold sensation at the back of my neck and upper back (like a menthol is rubbed in my skin) and I dont know who it is related. 

If ever you also feel the same or heard of someone who experienced this. Please leave a comment. I hope I can get rid of this soon by God's perfect time. Godbless

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi There, 

just a thought did you take anti biotics during your hospital stay? I became very ill last year after a course of ciprofloxacine. I had a coloscopy which showed up atrophic gastritis but that didn't explain the diarrhea and the fatigue. i also felt very dissaociated, I just wasn't on the same planet. I suffered from terrible depression and lost 11 kilos. I didn't have the coldness or the loss of apetite however. I mention the antibiotics because doctors tend to brush over the side effects which can be devastating and long lasting.

• Posted

Hi,

Yes, I had bouts of different antibiotics to name, Cefuroxime tablet then to Cefuroxime IV, Ceftriaxone, Cefixime and many more medications.

My main concern symptom now is my appetite is gone, eventhough I feel terrible and have cold sweats because my body is dropping sugar but my brain wont tell me to eat food. It's my own will to eat not my body's will. I dont feel hungry anymore and sometimes nauseous if I think of food. I love tasting food in fastfoods but now I dont go there becuase I get frustrated I dont enjoy anymore. 

• Posted

If it was the antibiotics it won't last forever, It took me a full 18 months to get over the side effects but it does pass, hang in there.
    • Posted

Yes, I am just praying that no other serious condition is causing this. Thanks for the time. 
    • Posted

Hello, 20 something years ago I was having great sickness, diarrhoea and loss of appetite I kept going to the doctor who eventually told me it was all in my head, I decided I had an allergy to something I was eating, so by process of elimination I discovered I had a milk intolerance all was fine until 8 years ago I started with lots more symptoms similar to yours, it took me 5 years to discover that I had an intolerance to the flouride in the water and now have to use bottled water from Scotland, perhaps you could try looking for an allergy in your food and water, do you live in a hard water area ?  I hope you find an easy answer
    • Posted

Did ur appetite ever return? Going on two months and my appetite has not return fully after stomach issues. All my other symptoms have improved but still no appetite.
    • Posted

hey joe you were the last one to post on this forum so I'm going to ask you... I have the same exact symptoms as poach ... I'm wondering did you ever regain your appetite? please let me know ... send me an email to .. thank you

Moderator comment: I have removed the email address as we do not publish these in the forums. If users wish to exchange contact details please use the Private Message service.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

Hey I know it's an old post did your appetite come back? Having the same issue had numerous examples of exams all clear.
  • Posted

Hi all, this is Poach. I forgot the password of this account so Iade another one. Yes, my appetite returned gradually. But recently I just developed IBS and some kind of brain issue that makes me feel tired all the time. 
    • Posted

hey poach. what did you do to get your appetite back. been suffering for 4 months do , reply!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.