I. Lots of pin with my wrist and elbow and but can get docs appointment

Posted , 3 users are following.

I in lots of pain with my wrist and elbow can't get a doctors appointment tried painkillers after painkillers not doing anything I know I have to be referred to hospital any advise or painkillers I can try that anyone knows please help x

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

what exactly is wrong with your wrist and elbow. Any idea?

painkillers never worked for me.

you could try lidocaine injection or fentanyl patch but that should be a last resort as hard to stop but worled for me. however would need a doctor to prescribe.

maybe in the meantime have you thought about having massage / acupuncture?

• Posted

Hopeandope

I apologise to you for butting in on your reply and hope I haven't offended you in any way. I tried to get a massage for my sciatic nerve pain and was fortunate that the practitioner refused to do it until I had seen a Doctor. Not all of them are like that though.

Once again, I am sorry if I have upset you.

• Posted

Hi Elizabeth,

no need to apologize!!

so sciatic pain. ouch!! its horrible and have had it for a while but finally getting on top of it.

Do you know a GOOD chiropractor or osteopath near you. they will be able to help.

Alexander technique also very good and sciatic pain can come from bad posture which causes all sorts of issues to the spine. do you know why you have it?

However there are many things you can do to help yourself in the meantime.

stretching important but needs to be the right stretch. I worked on piriformis which helped and easy to find good stretches online.

Go easy on yourself and your body. Try and relax. Easier said than done and i found the app 'Calm' very helpful. ( mindfullness )

Hope some of this is helpful and good luck as i know it can be debilitating and hugely painful.

For me it stemmed from a slipped disc but with all the above its going. 😃

ED

• Posted

Many thanks for your reply. Yes, the nerve was badly inflammed and trapped within the Piriformis muscle. I had 10 months of excrutiating 24/7 nerve pain, couldn't sit, walk or lie down with any relief at all. Unfortunately I was put on Pregabalin which worked and allowed the inflammation to die right down but then the side effects and terrible withdrawals of this drug lost me nearly 3 years of my life! I could never recommend anyone to take it even though it can help with chronic nerve pain.

I do all the stretches now to keep it at bay and use Mindfulness as an aid as well as recommending it to others. I do suffer from 3 forms of Arthritis, have severe Osteoporosis, am a Breast cancer patient plus other health issues. Eating a healthy diet and using exercise help overall, although some of the exercises are not possible for me to do. I can fracture a rib just by coughing or sneezing! Apart from all of this I am a happy, well adjusted 69 yr old. Common sense plays a huge part in everything and research also. Had I researched Amitriptyline I would not have suffered the Glaucoma - had I researched Gabapentin and Pregabalin I would never have taken them. We really do need to be our own advocates in our health concerns nowadays.

Best wishes

• Posted

wow, you've had your fair share!

its great that your doing your research and being active in finding ways to self help. By the sound of things you're doing exactly what's needed and i admire how you stay positive.

Well done to you. Have you ever seen an osteopath?

if you're based in london then i have someone very special who has helped me greatly. Happy to pay for you to see him.

• Posted

Not in London any more, live in the Midlands now. Have used a Chiropractor and Osteopath in the past but am no longer advised to use either again. Part of my lower spine has crumbled (trapping the sciatic nerve) and my Rheumatologist would have a fit if I suggested I was even thinking along those lines. Ho hum. The pain gets me down at times but my sense of humour always seems to save the day. Very kind of you though, thank you.

• Posted

I'm afraid that you cannot get the strength of painkiller you feel you need without a Doctor's prescription. Certainly not Amitriptyline. Have you tried Solpadene ? A lot of people say it is the strongest you can get from a Chemist. If there is inflammation in the wrist/elbow only Iboprufen based painkillers will help as they are anti-inflammatories. Ask at your Chemist for these. Do not pay for the Branded ones which are extortionate in price, there are much cheaper generic makes you can buy and they will advise you.

You must keep on trying to get an appointment at your surgery as if there is some damage in your arm it will only get worse without proper treatment. If you have to use the arm for work, or picking up a child tell the surgery this and ask for a same day appointment, or at the very least a telephone appointment where the Doctor rings you that day to decide if you need to be actually seen.

I wish you all the best.

• Posted

I feel I must add after the other answer that it would be unwise to have a massage until you know what exactly the diagnosis is. This could cause further damage and pain. Acupuncture can sometimes be helpful but if it is not on the NHS it can be quite expensive. I had it for a while for a trapped sciatic nerve but I didn't feel any relief from it unfortunately. You may have a trapped nerve yourself and this is why it feels so painful, but until you get a diagnosis please just work on getting an urgent appointment at your surgery.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.