I'm 1 month abstinent, with campral & learning cbt tools & strategies through Smart recovery

Posted , 10 users are following.

I'm in a bit of a quandary, basically I've been drinking heavily every night for approx 15 years. About a year ago, I realised, with my gp's persuasion that I had to do something, instead of just thinking about it. So have been attending my local alcohol unit for over a year every fortnight, trained professionals & peers also run a smart recovery group, which I wasn't keen on attending as I thought it would be just another form of AA, which is not for me, on so many levels, but that's a different story. Smart is just cbt, no labels, no faith or higher power, it works for me, and I can attend meetings anonymously online, which I really like, but we are all different. It's taken a while for everything to start falling into place for me, I tried moderation, not drinking through the week etc, but I found I wasn't ever free from the hold alcohol had over me, and even though I wasn't consuming alcohol, I was still thinking about it, and constantly having an internal battle in my head. I just didn't seem able to go a weekend without having a drink, and this was really getting me anxious. As per the normal, my gp had never heard of TSM, and even though I presented him with the nice guidelines and all relevant paperwork for prescribing Nalmafene, I was told I would have to speak to my alcohol worker about it, which I did, but she couldn't prescribe it and said I would need an appointment with the head of the unit, which takes months. Anyway in the meantime my own gp agreed to try me on Campral as I had been sober for over a week and was determined and desperate to keep it going. It really seems to have made a massive difference to me, it's been a month now since I've had a drink, and the smart online meetings keep me focused and motivated. Anyway today was my long awaited appointment with the head doctor, and he has recommended Nalmafene be prescribed to me as an additional back up, but I should also stick with the Campral as it seems to be working. I am now really worried that I will somehow in my moments of cravings and my twisted thinking, use this as an excuse to have a drink, instead of using coping strategies that I've been learning to abstain. I'm worried that I'll actually set myself back, if this makes sense. Has anyone else been prescribed Nalmafene as a back up to abstinence while using Campral, or have any advice. Thanks X 

1 like, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hiya birds

two very good posts from RHGB and Joanna (the nalmafene expert!)

Yes i drink socially now and enjoy it. The difference now is that I don't drink alone and never touch spirits.

I am not into counselling at all, been there, got the t shirt etc. Nearly all the ones I've seen are not from this world and live on another planet.

RHGB as I keep telling him, would be my kind of counsellor. Straight down the line, call a spade a spade and plain talking.

My gp referred me for CBT, waited 6 months for appointment. First appointment was asked what I wanted to discuss. Five minutes later walked out as they didn't deal with alcohol problems!!!

I don't need anyone to 'chat' to, I get more advice and help here on the forum

• Posted

Vicky Lou is sorted!! you seem happy and ok with all friends on this forum!! Robin
    • Posted

Lol, at your description of therapists, I think I've seen the same ones! I've never had an issue with social drinking, it's drinking alone that was my problem, and i thought I was using it as a crutch initially, but really I was just numbing myself up to deal with my life that I probably didn't like. The reality is, if I want things to change, then it's up to me, no talking about it can make it happen. Thanks for the info and advice

• Posted

Hiya Robin 

yes Robin I'm happy and sorted. I've been taking my 16 month grandson swimming and today he swam a width unaided. Far more pleasure than a bottle of vodka! Like you and your twins

• Posted

You're  already seeing the benefits when you suddenly realise you've not thought about alcohol. My major problem after a couple of months was remembering to take the tablets!

a lot of my drinking was done alone secretively. I'd have bottles of vodka stashed all round the house and never remember where I'd put them.

keep posting here, taking the tablets and forget about alcohol

• Posted

"RHGB as I keep telling him, would be my kind of counsellor. Straight down the line, call a spade a spade and plain talking."

Thank you as always for the compliment.  I will reply by PM, to your last PM a month or so ago, about it.

• Posted

agreed Vicky Lou. I went baby swimming with the twins when they were 6 months old. Amazing. Robin
  • Posted

i've read all the posts...and wanted to say congratulations to you and Campral for your one month of Sobriety!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.