I'm 14 and have caught tonsillitis for the first time. Advice?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've been ill since approximately three weeks before Christmas, I caught a cold, and then shortly after, a chesty cough which involved me coughing up a lot of phlem although phisically not being able to dispose of it. After this had calmed down a little I caught a cold sore and now this has gone, I ended up with a severe case of Tonsillitis last Friday. I only noticed the infection on my glands on Sunday as I was looking for them to prove my mother wrong, (She insisted that I did not have tonsillitis because I did not have a high temperature) after I showed her my glands she casually gave me paracetamol and clarified that we not see a doctor, unless further symptoms were identified. Early yesterday morning, I threw up after taking some more pain killers, thus resulting in my mother taking me to the doctor surgery hoping to obtain penecilin. If I were a little yonger I would not have cared so much for having an infecting in which required me taking time off of school, but as I am in my fourth year of secondary school I am studying for my GCSE's. Henceforth moulding a brick wall in which I would have to climb once returning to school. The past couple of nights I have not slept well and have been somewhat nocturnal. Ultimately resulting in me sitting in bed at ten past three in the morning, writing this to all you lovely people out there hoping to get some advice in which will enable my time (bed ridden) to be a little more pleasant. Thank you all. smile

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Adeliboo,

I'm still trying to get through my second case of tonsillitis. I haven't been able to sleep because of the pain and a bad cough.

I think that you should have ibuprofen instead of paracetamol as it is anti-inflammatory. You could have both at the same time if it gets really painful. Have plenty to drink and plenty of rest.

If you have a runny nose and cough, it's likely that you've got viral tonsillitis. If you've got pus/ white coating on your tonsils, a high fever and/ or swollen glands then it could have a bacterial cause for which you'll need antibiotics (penicillin).

Hope that you and I both get well soon!

• Posted

Hey zamzam777,

This is where I'm puzzled because I have a cough, and white coating on my tonsills as well as swollen glands.

Is it possible that it could be viral and bacterial?

Much appreciatted, Adeliboo. Xx

• Posted

I've actually got the same problem. My tonsillitis started off with white coated tonsils, high fever, swollen glands and weakness for 2-3 days. Then my fever and weakness settled and I've had a runny/ blocked nose and cough along with pus covered and swollen tonsils for 4 days now. It's possible that my infection started off with a bacterial cause and, because my immune system was weakened, an opportunistic virus attacked. Pus on tonsils and swollen glands are significant enough symptoms to need antibiotics. I am currently on my fourth day of penicillin.
    • Posted

Ouch, I hope you get better very very quickly. Im only on my fourth day and I feel horrible. Xx

• Posted

try some silver throat spray i can pm u if your interested cant tell where to get it on this page as its classed as advertising 

stress has proberly brought the tonsilitus on , have you got any thing you can use for an ice pack to help with the swelling of your glands packet of peas put inside a pillow case . placed on your neck will help the pain . or some ice lollies to suck.

about the only thing that will do it hun is time and rest , if you push your self to  get better you could end up with worse problem such as glandular fever ,and that you dont want . drink as much fruit juice as you can and iron enriched foods to help you fight the infection .i no its horriable i had it at 14 and i am 54 now and i still remember the pain .cry

• Posted

Thank you so much, i never thought of the ice pack idea and i think ill definantly try it out tomorrow. However i dont think my mom would be too happy with buying me other medications when the doctor has already prescribed antibiotics.

Thank you xx

• Posted

most antibiotics dont work these days we are becoming immune .

ice packs will help thou . and remember not to push yourself to get well it takes at least 10 days to start to feel better by day 14 you should be well on the mend ,but you still need healing time from the virus thats played havoc with your body , as soon as you feel up to it start  having plenty of green veg or any iron enriched foods to build you up . its not just your throat thats been under attack .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.