I'm 16 and fighting insomnia

Posted , 7 users are following.

My insomnia started about 2 months ago. The first time I got it was the worst days, I felt like I was gonna die. After the forth day I was able to sleep. It was like this for a month, until now the insomnia came back for more. After thinking I was saved nope. My fear of not sleeping came back, I went 3 days without sleep. Now it seems that the cycle is repeating. It is really effecting me at school, I'm getting there late, I feel lazy. I don't know what to do. I haven't went to the doctors, I'm for sure not going on meds. Counting sheep doesn't work on me. Listen to music doesn't work, working out I'm not sure I've tried it's a 50/50. I need someone to tell me exactly how to overcome my insomnia. And if I don't fix it fast I don't see my self getting good grades these coming months.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Drink 250 ml warm milk before going to bed every day.have dinner at 7 .30 p.m.drink warm milk at 9 p.m and go to bed and chant your God's name .you will go in to sleep every day like baby.all the best for exams.

• Posted

Cut out all supplements, God forbid pot or any other drugs. No caffeine, no energy drinks, no OTC drugs-decongestants etc. Drink milk before bed, eat honey, eat turkey 2 hours before bed. If necessary take natural herbs for relaxation-Valerian root or passion flower. You can try Sleepy time tea from a supermarket. If decide to take Valerian take it in the morning, unless you drive. It helps relax you to prepare for a good night. Once you sleep well for a few nights you will forget the sleep anxiety
  • Posted

I assume that you have seen a dr about this. If not then you really need to ask for a sleep study test .

​Take care

• Posted

There are tapes you can listen to which help you to fall asleep.

Do you know what is causing the anxiety which is stopping you from sleeping? I've been through this and it's awful.

• Posted

Guys I’m good, idk what it was. Thanks for the help, it’s been about 5 months now and it seems it’s gone away. Been sleeping like a god,everything is back to normal. It was all in my head,I kept telling myself I wasn’t gonna sleep. And one day I just didn’t care if I slept or not, ever since my sleeping has been much better even before I got insomnia. I can now say I don’t have insomnia anymore.
  • Posted

That's the age I got insomnia real bad. I'm 56 years old now and on heavy sleepy pills. When I worked I took nothing, what really helped me was a large fan beside my bed. They call that white noise is very soothing and many people use this method plus it also drowns out all noise around you. I cannot sleep at all without it even with the meds. I'm an extreme case.Stay off meds if you can or as long as you can. Good luck.

Cindy

• Posted

As a young person first of all, you needn't worry.  You can still get through a day in spite of having insomnia.

Routine is super important.  Both right before sleep and just in general throughout your day.  Try to do some physical work at night for at least half an hour, whether housework or even lifting rocks outside (so muich fun, honestly)

What bad habits do you have?  Eliminating or at least regulating bad habits, and gradually adding good habits, will have no doubt you will be able to sleep well.

Can be as simple as,

bad- avoiding p0rn late at night, and instead

good- doing some housework and yoga.

Or,

bad- seeing some things negatively, and letting them get you down

good- take the good out of a situation, don't waste time getting down but let it be a learning experience

You seem like a smart, self-aware young person, who even cares about the results because you mentioned grades are important.  So you should be proud already of who you are, at such a young age, honestly!!  When I was 16,I just played video games and looked at my dad's p0rn mags and didn't care about grades.

So, already you have a good base, and as you get older you will mature even more.  Therefore, use this situation as a learning experience, you will be amazed how much resilience you have.  (And you can overcome it easily, believe me).

Failing that, you could even consider alternative options such as TCM (Traditional Chinese Medicine), which views insomnia as due to a deficiency of heart or kidney energy, or from unresolved emotions; or Naturopathy, which will examine your diet and lifestyle in a practical way.  

Good luck

Chris

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.