I'm 16 and I'm sure i have Virtiligo, Anything i should know?Or Is there a way i can tell for sure

Posted , 4 users are following.

So if you dont know what Virtiligo is, its a disease that causes discoloration in your skin and prematurely graying hairs in certain areas isnt uncommon for this either.

First of all, it is on my Genitalia. (I'm a guy, nothing weird just so happens to be where it started)

I've noticed it for what seems like years and have even had two ex's actually question about it.

Although the discoloration never bothered me back when i discovered i had areas to where it was brighter and even silver/white pubic hairs, it had just came to my attention and i started to look into it. I heard there is multiple kinds of this like some dont spread,others in certian areas and alot of the time all over the body. 

This is the only place i've really seen any out of place colors that ive noticed, not that i actually went looking.

Is there anyway to identify which it is? Or what's the average growth rate that you'd see other spots forming if they do does anyone know?

I'm only 16 and ive seen that spot for years although im positive it wasnt always there ive just became used to it.

Any tips or anything? Maybe suggestions or anything i should know about it, im not 100% sure this is what it is but ive looked into alot and its my best guess  

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Syike00System

The best thing to do would be to take an appointment with a dermatologist and have the discoloration checked out. That's the only way to know whether it is vitiligo or not. Regarding the spreading and growth rate, every one is different and its best to take the doctor's opinion on that as well. 

• Posted

Thanks for replying and i understand that, debating it. Although tbh im kinda sure it is and its not much of a huge bother im just kinda curious ya know
  • Posted

The growth is different from one another, and doctors cant determine this. Main thing not to stress or worry about this. Coz its not controllable; its not a disease; its just a cosmetic thingy.. I read getting a shock, fear blah blah has a chance of increasing it not 100% sure though.

Woods lamp is a way to detect if it is vitiligo. Dont let them just say vitiligo without doing the right test . Read about woods lamp; google it

Protopic and oxoralen are strong n good to treat vitiligo, and the earliest u treat vitiligo sport the faster it goes. Ask your doctor about these treatment, I use them worked for me

Fingers and feet are a bit more difficult to treat than places that have lots hair. I had a spot in my head close to my forehead with white hair. I thank God it got treated with the treatment but the white hair left.

• Posted

I have vitiligo,  I had a white spot for years on the underside of my left arm.  Never thought anything about it, then I had a really white spot on the knuckle of my left thumb.  I have been a sun worshiper all my life, dark complected though I am Caucasian. Next I noticed my legs just were not tanning anymore.  I finally went to a Dr.  when I fried my face and hands while playing volleyball.  I have never sunburned before, new experience to me.  This new stuff started about 3 years ago and spread very fast.  I am 64 so I consider myself lucky.  I freak out over gray hair, but my hair was not turning gray but translucent!  I color my hair still because the bald look does not look good on me  (I am female). 

There is a good side, people with vitiligo do not age as fast as far as skin goes.  I look younger than all my siblings, my youngest brother is over 8 years younger.

It is not the worst thing that can happen.  I have to wear a hat at all times when I am outside, I should buy stock in sunblock, and I am very white/light sensitive and I have to be careful what I put on my skin.  So my advice is keep a watch on it, people with vitiligo have a much higher risk of skin cancer.

Good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.