I'm 17 and I'm taking Citalopram

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hey! I'm new here and I've been recently diagnosed with depression, I'm 17 years old... I'm taking 10mg of Citalopram a day. I started today but I'm already feeling some side affects. Well, wish me luck in my journey! All the best for you all who are fighting depression or any other disease!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

God bless your soul. Im sorry you are going thru this at such a young age. But one thing that has helped me...don't get bored. No matter what. Don't let your mind dwindle on the dark. I know its easier said than done. Iv just found out Iv had depression/anxiety since a child esp the anxiety. They go hand an hand. One can lead to the other. Iv had fear of death of all loved ones up to the point of physically ill (vomit, chewing skin alongside nails till bleeding, stomach pain) no one could find out (as a young child) why my stomach an joints hurt. Test after test. No one thought of any mental probs because" kids dont have depression or anxiety!" Well they can! All I can give you is what has seemed to help me an others. Im on med 7. Celexa. Zoloft (severe toxicity so sick!)50mg, Lexapro 15mg (bad wt gain, an sooo sleepy all time. Well found out Lexapro has histamine in it is the reason for the deactivating effect an is cousin to Celexa. Celexa does not have the histamine. Sorry, iv been in med field since 18 an always researching (anxiety!) meds an diseases etc.) Then came Cymbalta. I have fibromyalgia an lower back herniation (disk) an degenerative disc disease, so Cymbalta was thought to help with all of it. Its very well known to raise blood pressure an it sure did!! Iv never had high blood pressure an it went to 177/94!! Im 5'3 & 124lbs. I took it 6 wks an it did help pain but nothing mentally. Then came the devil drug Prozac. Horrible. Sooo sick physically. Liver pain even. I was almost suicidal on it. Took 6 wks. Then Wellbutrin XL. Rage. Pure rage. On for 9 days. Had to stop. Then Lamictal. Why? I dont know. Im not bi-polar. Took 2 days an felt like crap. Like the bad flu. Nope. Stopped. Now on day 5 at 20mg. 7 days before that on 10mg. No real bad side effects except when I increased to 20, 2 days later anxiety increased but thats expected. Also eating alot! Got to watch that! If I gain over 125, my back starts hurting. So Im sure you have been told EXERCISE is very important. Any kind. Don't get bored. Keep yourself busy. Any group you can join? Talking to a trusted friend, spiritual advisor or therapist.. Keep a journal of feelings. Stay hydrated. Omega-3's an Vit D an Magnesium. I always have my earbuds with me to help with anxiety an listen to whatever. Even walking or biking. Im fixing to join Planet Fitness (10$ a month) so I can go whenever an walk or bike. I have alot outside stressors galore rt now. Im 48. Married. 2 teen sons. Caregiver now for 5 yrs of my 81 yr old parent's. My older sister does not help me. We are financially NOT good. Fixing to file for foodstamps. Our daughter passed away in 2000 but seems like it just happened. So that really heightened my anxiety and depression. My marriage is strained due to my parents an caregiving. I have to sell their humongous home an property so they dont run out of money. They are at a retirement place. But Im under pressure to get it done asap or they will run ouf of money. Iv already had to arrange a estate sale an that was the saddest thing Iv done for them. Beside moving them out of their home. They could no longer live alone. Anyway sorry so long but just remember you xan come on here an get advice. Dont get bored!!

God bless fr Tx USA

• Posted

Hi I am also 17 and have been on cita for just over a month now smile any questions or if you need a chat can always ask me! Wish you well with your recovery!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.