I’m 20 and I think I might have colon cancer.

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi everyone!

My name is Anna. I'm 20 years old and a junior in college. Throughout the past year, I've been having abdominal cramps/pain. At first I wrote it off as food sensitivities and cut out gluten from my diet. Nothing changed.

This past month, my symptoms have gotten unbearable. I have excruating stomach cramps and pain all throughout the day, but especially after I eat. I was extremely constipated for about 2 weeks (I only pooped 3 times), and my poop has been little balls and pale with what looks like yellow mucus. Now am pooping very frequently and my stools are long and extremely thin. Ive noticed streaks of blood in them as well. Im so exhausted all the time, and have lost about 10 pounds unintentionally. I'm just in so much pain and am pretty miserable. I got a ct scan and my doctor said everything looked normal, but I know something is wrong. I'm due to get a colonoscopy this week (something I never thought I'd have to do at 20!) and am terrified they wont find anything - I just want to feel better. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you so much!

anna

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Have you tried doing a food intolerance/allergy test?

• Posted

Yes, I have taken many throughout my life! I am allergic to corn and soy and that upsets my stomach, but feels nothing like this. That pain usually goes away, but this pain is constant.

• Posted

It sounds more likely to be IBS with possible haemorrhoids if you have been straining with constipation. Haemorrhoids can bleed or you may have a fissure. IN both cases, the blood tends to be bright red. I would suggest a food diary to find other possible food triggers. Since you have had no change after avoiding gluten, this would suggest that you have no problem with gluten and it may be another food type causing you pain. You should not worry if nothing is found in your tests; this is good news for you. Believe your doctor when he told you your CT was normal. You would not have been told this if it was not the case. IBS is functional and doesn't show on scans or any other test. Your weight loss could be due to your anxiety over your symptoms or eating less if food is causing you pain. Stress can cause IBS especially with the pressure of college work.

I started with constipation, abdominal pain, nausea, thin stools that were sometimes loose and urgent and extreme health anxiety which was made worse by lots of negative tests and no diagnosis for three and a half months. I was diagnosed with IBS which started six months after severe stress. Your symptoms sound very like iBS, especially at your young age. Worry worsens IBS symptoms.

• Posted

You may be experiencing irritable bowel syndrome which rarely shows up on testing but take the colonoscopy to rule out anything else.

• Posted

If the CT scan and then the colonoscopy rule out colon cancer that is very good news. It would be incredibly rare at your age anyway. I agree with the others that IBS bought on by stress (being at college) would seem the most likely problem. The straining of constipation can easily cause a tear which would make you bleed. You should drink lots of water to help prevent the constipation. Once you get a better idea of what the problem is, the forum will give you loads of practical and dietary advice.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.