I'm 20 , Should I get a Colonoscopy?

Posted , 7 users are following.

So I've been having frequent Diarrhoea for weeks.Im worried that I have bowel cancer or something.

Most of the time my stools are very mushy and other times it's Diarrhoea.

Should I go to the doctor?

I'm already going to a Respiratory Doctor for my shortness of breath.

Should I tell him and ask for a colonoscopy?

I get Diarrhoea every 1-2 weeks

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Do you have any other symptoms? I have alternating diarrhea and constipation. Abdominal pain and other typical IBS symptoms. I'm 12 so you could imagine my anxiety and stress levels when I started having bowel problems. You're 20, which is obviously younger 50 so I don't think you need a colonoscopy. I didn't because I met the Rome Criteria, and I didn't have any alarming signs. If you have any red flag symptoms like blood in stool, fever, unintentional and significant weight loss (about 10 pounds or more in a short amount of time). 

• Posted

OMG, I keep getting typos. I'm 14, if that even makes the situation any better, lol.

• Posted

It’s always a good idea to get things like this checked out, you need to know what it is and how to recover from it. However, having said that, at your age, it’s unlikely to be bowel cancer.  It’s more likely to be IBS or a food intolerance. Sometimes, just going to the doctor and getting it looked at, is enough to make your symptoms subside, especially if you are an anxious person. Go see your GP for advice, they’re the experts. 
    • Posted

Getting an IBS diagnosis from my doctor brought my IBS under control and I now have long remissions.
  • Posted

Go to your doctor and tell him all your symptoms especially the diarrhoea! Ask for a colonoscopy and other tests. 
  • Posted

Talk to a doctor and they will advise you. I had my first colonoscopy in my 20's well before IBS diagnosis but it was worthwhile for me as my diet was terrible and when I first learned white bread is terrible. 

• Posted

PS I should add any illness I had at that age was self inflicted. I had lazy days but would often not get to bed until 3am or later and I was drinking heavily and my adrenaline was going from playing in the evenings so it was a bad combination . I thought I could live like this without consequences but my body thought otherwise. The bad diet and alcohol including eating at service stations was causing bleeding from the rear. The rock and roll lifestyle is not for everyone apparentlysmile 
    • Posted

Wow white bread is bad for you?

What food should I eat to avoid my frequent Diarrhoea?

• Posted

You will need to do a food diary to work out what foods trigger your diarrhoea.   Everyone’s food triggers are different. White bread is is not good for you because it is processed.  However, some people can be intolerant to brown bread and can only take the white variety.
    • Posted

Very first piece of advice I received from the hospital 

65 million dollar question. If I knew that I would not be ill myself

• Posted

Let your GP assess you first and then if it's required, undergo a colonoscopy. It doesn't even hurt. 

• Posted

I find it very unlikely that you would have cancer and think it's more likely diet related.  Try adding healthy soluble fiber into your diet and see if that helps.  Avoid foods that are fatty and greasy, like fries, burgers, pizza, etc.  I personally wouldn't jump to something invasive like a colonoscopy without first playing around with my diet to try and identify any trigger foods.  

• Posted

I see thanks everyone.

Are Colon Polyps Hereditary?

My father had them so that's why I'm worried

• Posted

Yes, you should definitely go to your doctor. You can start with meds or the low fodmap diet if it is IBS so it's easier to control. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.