i'm 21 and have had 3 sebaceous cysts on my scalp for th...

Posted , 15 users are following.

i'm 21 and have had 3 sebaceous cysts on my scalp for the best part of my life now. It's been that long i can't remember when it was i found them!lol!:roll:I am in dilemma as to what to do with them They are getting quite big and i keep catching them when i brush my hair :yikes: and yea it hurts! When i touch them or push them they move under the skin. The doctor told me that they don't need removing only for cosmetic reasons! lol HELLO.......It's not exactly nice pushing your partners hands away from your head everytime he wants to stroke my hair. :shock:I could'nt belive it they hurt and i want rid :headhurts: But i do not fancy having bald patches on my head is there no other way to get rid of them?i didn't know they can suddenly flare up from infection either. Doctors should make you aware of everything to do with sebaceous cysts not look at you like your wasting their time!:yikes:I am also bit scared of it hurting...even though i've had a major operation the day my son arrived into the world! So peeps any suggestions? coz i'm totally lost!:ok:

[i:44f9390112]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:44f9390112]

2 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi

I have the same but.numerous spot lumps at the same time .. they never come to a head .. I've recently had them in my face ..

the clue is keep them clean .. if you use hair products wash out as soon as you get comfy .. don't scratch .. yes itchy .. but try avoid ..

I've been told be my dr that they are bacterial .. I have frusibet (Frisia acid and betamethadone valerate) 20mg/g+1mg/g cream

They are spread by searching .. popping them and then scratching another spot .. if you get the smallest lump on your face .. treat early ..

the above cream is an anti bacterial and anti inflammatory and works immediately.. you see the swelling go in minutes ..

if you do pop one to release the clear fluid .. and the size of the lump and trust me they can get big and painfully .. wash with soap straight away and then apply frusibet to that location only .. instead of weeks to get rid of .. now takes a day

• Posted

Ok the cream is frusibet(Xemacort 20mg/g +1mg/g cream frusidic acid and betamethasone) it's a mix of frusidic acid and betnovate

• Posted

I have the same problem. I noticed a cyst on my scalp when I was about 12.. I have never went to a Dr for it. I now have 4 of them. Two have grown fairly big, maybe a little bigger than a quarter..they have always stayed the same size until about a year ago..the other 2 are still small..they don't hurt, until I bang my head, which doesn't happen often. I feel better knowing that I am not the only person with this issue !

• Posted

I'm having these cysts on my scalp since about 25, and now I'm 49. I had them removed several times in outpatient clinic. Two of them were huge, almost like a quail egg. The doctor said, if they are getting bigger there's no need to grow them. When it is pea-sized it's time to go to the surgeon and remove it, what I did today. It took 20 minutes. With local anaesthetic it was not painful at all. It was removed with the whole sack (capsule). Now I feel some very mild pain or maybe tension and tomorrow I won't feel anything. 30 years ago they were asking to shave hair before the surgery but nowadays nobody does that.The scar will be invisible under the hair. If you are fed up with them don't be afraid to go to the doctor. It's nothing, really. Good luck!

• Posted

Hi I've had the same I had a 5cm cyst on my head and they did remove it I had same problems while brushing my hair and it was noticeable I know they won't remove them until they are a certain size and they can always grow back as mine is now and it's starting to give me more pain than it did before. Ask to see a different doctor. They can defo remove them hope this helps smile

• Posted

What did the pathology come back as? I have one that's been growing and is irritated. It was always the size of a marble and in the past two months has gotten to a bit over 3cm. I'm getting it removed in Thursday and I am so very scared that it's cancer. sad

• Posted

They didn't test it or anything cause it wernt a solid lump they just told me it's a cyst. I've got loads more cysts just had one on my leg removed but it's coming back. Have they said to you that it is a cyst? Hope all is ok let me know Hun x

• Posted

I just had three removed yesterday. I'm 35 and get one or two removed every year.  One of them was very tender and painfu.  If I had waited longer it could have burst.  That has happened to me in the past.  I squeezed it and the infection drained down to my face.  I woke up with a giant lump on my forehead and the bridge of my nose was twice as wide.  It made it very difficult for the doctor to remove the sack and I was left with a bald spot.  Lesson learned was 1) NEVER SQUEEZE A CYST!! No matter how tempting.  2) the early you have them removed the less damage it does to your scalp.  Get them taken care of once you start feeling them.  

• Posted

Also you don't need to go to a plastic surgeon. Just find a doctor who can do small in patient procedures. They give you a local shot, take a knife to make a very small cut, use a tool to scoop it out and then sew you up.  Literally takes 5 minutes and the only painful part is the shot. If it's a small to medium size cysts with no infection you shouldn't have any issues with hair loss. I've had over 20 removed through the years and the only bald spot was from an infected cysts that I popped. It truly isn't a big deal. Don't be scared to do it. You will feel so much better afterwards, I promise!!!!

• Posted

I have these all over my head now. Started with one and now many. Went to dermatologist couple months ago at doctors urging for possible skin cancer. One of them had become infected and started oozing. I cleaned it every day and it dried up and part of it fell off. I went to dermatologist and he did biopsy and found it was these cysts. A few of them are starting to bother me again so thinking they might fester like last one. Didn't take long for him to take remainder of that one off my head and didn't lose any hair. Worth getting rid of but of course most insurance won't pay for it. I paid over 200 but it was worth it to get rid of it. Wasn't that bad either. They gave me a shot to numb the area and it was over in less than 5 min. Just hated the smell of burning while he removed it

• Posted

I was diagnosed with cysts in my skull. Mine feel more lie ridges. I have two about 2 to 3 in long and another pea suze. They don't bother me unless I press on them then they wI'll ache. A little..Dr said if I get ready she can remove thm. Yet I do wonder cuz they feel firm to the touch..they seem to be gettin a lIL larger,yet some days Tha don't seem as big..if they take thm out, it will be alot of the crown of my head so a Lil nervous about hair not coming back..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.