I'm 25 and my BP is 207/117 what should I do

Posted , 11 users are following.

I tested it with a wrist monitor and it read 207/117 I can hear my heart thumping in my ear and feel it in my throat and my fingers and toes are cold/numb

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Also my mother in law wants me to take a 25 MG lisinopril
  • Posted

You need to take BP medications immediately. See doctor. 
  • Posted

Hi Gerard,

Please don't take any medication recommended by your mother-in-law or, indeed, anyone else who isn't a doctor.

Wrist BP monitors are so unreliable that readings from them are practically worthless.

That being said, it does sound as if your BP might be on the high side, especially for someone your age. It's very important that you see a doctor or a nurse to get your real BP level, which can then be treated if it's too high.

You can also help yourself by cutting down on salt and carbs - especially sugar, including fizzy drinks - reducing smoking if you're a smoker, and taking regular exercise. This doesn't mean violent weekly workouts at the gym - swimming, gentle cycling or an hour's brisk walk five days a week are enough.

But you do need to get yourself to a doctor to sort out exactly what is going on.

• Posted

Gerard, you need to see a doctor - that high BP together with your symptoms needs immediate attention and treatment.  Don't panic as that can make things worse, just act and act now, and, as it is the weekend, if no locum is immediately available, take yourself off to A&E.  Certainly do not take medication recommended by anyone other than a doctor. Good luck and do please come back and let us know how you get on.

• Posted

I will reiterate NOT taking any medication that is not prescribed by an actual doctor. If there are free BP monitors in pharmacies where you live, go to one and check your BP. Do it over a span of a few minutes, taking multiple readings while you sit and relax.  Wrist monitors are useless, however, since you have the symptoms you describe it is possible your BP is highly elevated. If your readings are as high on a proper monitor, take yourself to emergency ASAP. Good luck and let us know what is happening.
  • Posted

Your blood pressure is really high. I would recommend going to the ER just to make sure everything is okay. With both your top and bottom numbers being elevated, they can quickly to an ECG to make sure everything checks out.
  • Posted

A sudden reading like that is unlikely. How many reading did you take? If you were stessed or anxious the reading would be unreliable.

If you still have the monitor check it about three times over ten minutes three times a day after sitting quitely.  

Apart from stress cold remedies, coffeee or smoking will raise it.

• Posted

There are a lot of inaccurate wrist monitors . Did you have and read the instructions. Is there a nearby pharmacy that might check you . Otherwise get to a doctor right away. You need medicine
  • Posted

My husband has heart failure and simple I would not use a wrist monitor to take his blood pressure, too unreilable.

Our local chain chemist will take your blood pressure, but you must not be rushing in, and hope for a correct reading, and or coming from the gym, and or after a cup of coffee, all can affect your blood pressure.

When I take husbands blood pressure, he's suffers from anxiety, I make him sit down for about 10 minutes and watch TV or just relax and if he starts getting all anxious about me getting the blood pressure monitor out, I stop and will not press to go button until he is calm and not talking a million miles a minute, otherwise get a nonsense reading,

That is no use to him or me or the possibilty of me taking hm back to the hospital which he hates, so he calms down with that threat of going back to the hospital.

I suspect you also have white coat fever, or fear of Dr's, as husband has found out 4 times they have saved his life in the last 6 years, so getting used to the idea they are not there to kill him, but to help him.

If I had not taken him to the Dr six years ago, much against his angry protests, he would have died, probably within the next few hours, he had congestive heart failure, even abusing hospital staff as we arrived and telling them his BIT-- of a wife made him come. 

Well that BIT-- of a wife saved his life, and those angry words were all part of the lack of blood supply to his brain, as a Dr explained to me later.

• Posted

I'm with everyone else here. Don't panic but see a GP asap.

• Posted

Mine was the same im 21 they took. Me stright in hospital put me on lodes do not leave it any longer so lucky i didnt have stroke or heartacttact i am still scared even tho im on meds all my life naw

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.