I'm 27 years old doctor wants me on lipitor?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I'm 27 years old my good cholesterol went down 20% my triglycerides are at 305 I weight 340 pounds I been on a diet for 3 weeks now eating vegan and fish oils but my doctor wants me to take lipitor to increase HDL should I diet first or take the medicine in my situation?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I think you are very young to go on statins.  I would try and reduce it by exercise and diet first give that a couple of months in my opinion and see if it works.  Statins cause terrible side effects for some people I am 51 and came off them after six months as my muscles wasted away and got cramps, aches and pins and needles, I was very very ill.  Please re think these,
  • Posted

Hi,i agree with sue,try diet and exercise first...also..read up on the subject and be informed first. Xx
  • Posted

I'm 62, a runner of 40 years and developed angina and had a warning episode which resulted in me having an angiogram. Up to that time my cholesterol had risen from 5 to 8 and even though i was vegan, exercised, took supplements...Taurine, beetroot, sterols, veg smoothies, I was unable to reduce my cholesterol, it just kept going up.

I was scared stiff of going down the evil statin pathway but as i lay on the operating table having the angiogram the consultants remarked that he wished all his patents adopted my monastic lifestyle. Unfortunately, he said, your problem is hereditary and precautions were not going to bring down my cholesterol levels, which i now know was true.

I had a stent fitted to alleviate a 90% blockage in my artery and reluctantly started taking statins (20mg Angiostatin) in tandem with Co Enzyme Q10 200mg (self-administered) After about a year i still have no leg muscle problems and currently training sensibly for a marathon. My cholesterol is now 4. I am having side effects from statins, forgetfulness and cramps in my hand but the muscle wastage in my legs, which I was dreading, has yet to rear its ugly head. I would love to not have to take any drugs but in my case I have no choice as the alternative routes have been explored and not had any benefits on reducing cholesterol.

Having researched statins beforehand I found that doctors knew very little about supplements to reduce cholesterol levels naturally and even unable to give good basic dietary advice about the benefits of a vitamin K diet. But I also viewed articles on the internet denigrating statins and scaring the hell out of everybody with the possible side effects.

All I’m saying is if you can’t or like me unable to reduce your cholesterol with exercise, change of diet and supplements you may have a hereditary heart problem just like me.    

• Posted

I agree with Sue too. Research every article you can find on the internet before you take statins. You could be swapping one set of problems for another set. there is even facebook groups you can join.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.