I'm 31 and I think I have endometriosis but my doctor won't refer me to a gynacologist ..what now?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I'm 31 and for over 10 years I've had period/bowel problems.

My periods are irregular,my last period lasted 10 days and was lots of clots and heavy.

My period hasn't turned up this month.

I have really bad lower back ache all month along with thigh pain and shooting hip pains.

I suffer from constipation/runny stool..and first couple of days of period I noticed a little blood in my stool and trying to have a bowel movement I get a shooting pain in my rectum (only first two days)

Doctor says this is normal and the way periods can be ..he referred me for a colonoscopy ..I don't want that,I want to see a gynacologist ...

I have been trying for a baby for 3 years with no success and that caused a breakdown in my relationship but because I'm not currently in a relationship they won't refer me..

My life is not worth living ..what can I do?

I want to see a gynacologist and try and get to the bottom of this

0 likes, 7 replies

Report / Delete

7 Replies

  • Posted

    Where do you live, Sarah?  And why do you require a referral to a gynecologist? Do you have an HMO or PPO insurance? You should be able to go see one for your female exams, too, like an annual pap smear and have the discussion about your symptoms.

    How dare your doctor tell you it's normal. It's not.  None of your symptoms are NORMAL.

    Did you tell your doctor that you insist on a referral to a gynecologist?  Stand your ground.  Or even contact your insurance company directly and let them know you need to see a gynecologist.

    You can tell your doctor you don't want the colonoscopy.  And that you DO want to see a gynecologist for your menstrual issues.  Or can you get a new doctor?  One that isn't stupid?

    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    Wow Sarah: fire that terrible gp! If you're in UK or rural US & can't do that, report him to the authorities because all this stuff is NOT normal.

    Still, take the colonoscopy because even a gyno may insist on one. If it comes back clear or just says hemorrhoids or diverticulosis, these don't exclude endo, nor do they exclude the possibility that the blood in stools is from endo on the outer surface of your gut.

    Start keeping a journal of all symptoms. When you have blood in your stools, note the color, e.g., bright or dark red. If it's dark red, i suggest a trip to ER/casualty as passage of dark red blood usually prompts some immediate testing & attention. Note ALL the different pains. Take this journal along to every doc/ER you visit.

    You need a laparoscopy, soon. It is the only definitive answer on endo, especially if you've got spots on the outside of guts.

    If you are in the States and on a POP or HMO, report the go to state licensing authority and say that he is making medical decisions based on ignorance of basic gynecology combined with apparent rules that lead to financial bonuses for every month in which he refuses to give referrals to specialists. Start writing those letters today because the complaint process is very slow.

    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    I'm in the UK.

    We need a doctors referral letter before we can see a gynacologist here.

    I'm going back to Diff GP today and I hope she refers me.

    I don't see what harm it does them.

    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up