I'm 44, nonmenopausal female. I'm terrified of the underlying conditions.

Posted , 8 users are following.

I am 44 and I am a woman and I have been diagnosed with gout. I'm terrified there is an underlying condition causing it. I'm not a drinker, I have a few extra pounds but I'm not obese. I'm not menopausal yet.

I have it in both ankles, left heel, and my right hand. I've quit eating all meats, fish and I've eliminated most everything with purine. My doctor put me on Allopurinol yet nothing has changed. I'm always in pain. I recently switched from ibuprofen to naproxen.

I keep trying to get my doctor to do more tests on me but he seems to be taking an attitude of lets wait and see. I feel helpless although I'm doing everything I can control (diet) to make myself better. Cherry Juice, Turmeric - I tried acupuncture and still, I AM IN CONSTANT PAIN.

I'm beginning to feel hopeless. Any help or suggestions are welcome.

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Poor you.  Try some celery seed capsules + 200mg Vit c 3 times a day - really seem to be working for me at the moment.

The general disinformation about gout is rife and perplexing - and that includes your doctor - so keep on him/her.

• Posted

Thank you. I will try anything. What strength celery seed capsules and Vitamin C do you take 3x a day? 
    • Posted

500 mg celery seed. 200 mg vit c.
  • Posted

This has worked for some of us in emergecies:  1/2 teaspoon of bicaronate of soda stirred into a glass of water.

You should not start allopurinol until your gout attack has subsided.  Allopurinol is taken to *prevent* attacks, and should be started at a low dose, and increased gradually. When you have a gout attack, take colchicine or a strong NSAID, like indomethicin. 

Allopurinol will not make your attack go away.  Use other remedies for that.

• Posted

Allopurinol is a medicine which will excrete the uric acid through urine, only if you take it at a higher (>100 mg / day) dose protocol.

It causes gout attack on lower doses and always should be accompanied by colchicine. Allopurinol will act as preventive medicine and is mainly for chronic gout, not for acute gout attack.

• Posted

I have pseudogout and had it for years -  not diet related, and I do not drink and am not overweight.  Cant use NSAID as they strip my stomach lining so I have to use Ibuprofen gel 10% to rub on - helps a bit otherwise the only thing that helps is an injection into joint affected.  trouble is the gp wont do it and the consultant is only available once a week and only when referred by gp so often cant get the injection - just have to grin and bear it.  Nothing else helps me.
  • Posted

It's what you eat. Make your choices more alkaline. Eat fruits and vegetables, stay away from shell fish, Beef, Pork,Soda and any foods or drinks with high fructose corn syrup. Try to eat a Salad for dinner for just one week, you can even have some chicken strips in your salad. Eat cereal with low fat milk 1% for  breakfast. Eat an apple/day bananna/day, snack on celery with peanut butter or Kraft cheese spreads. Use your imigination, get rid of all those vegetables in your frig by eating them. These are just suggestions, if you don't like anything try different things. It took me 4 weeks to change my body chemistry from acidic to alkaline. Once you become alkaline you lose the gout. Exercise when you can or at least strech some, streching lets oxygen into your muscles and pain eases up some. Google gout, making alkaline water, and gout diet, alkaline foods, acidic foods. And remember this not as hard as you might think, once your are more alkaline you can still have some acidic foods, just not as much as you have had before. I've also had some alfalfa leaf tablets,and pHresh greens (  an alkalizing superfood, it's a powder ) I add it to smoothies. Just because I was so acidic almost tripple the norm. Now I'm more alkaline and lost 12 lbs. 3 month into this gout diet, and I finally have had salmon fish for dinner @ 59 yrs old, I never though I'd like it. Good luck and give it some time on the diet, you'll see the results if you want it bad enough to get rid of the pain.
    • Posted

Healthy diet - looks good!

" I was so acidic almost tripple the norm" - is that an urine pH test thing?  Thx

• Posted

i have been doing those things for the past month. - Changed my diet complely, just havent added the celery seed stuff. I also read that too much fruit or fructose is a culprit so I've been stricly having only a half banana and cherry juice. 

I haven't eaten meat, fish, shellfish or any vegeies high or even moderately high in purine. so, im limitimg myself to skim milk products and pasta. I did eat one egg. I'm hoping that wasn't a huge mistake.

I'm taking a gulp of apple cider vinegar every other day. I'm not thrilled with that. 

Even with all these dietarty changes, I'm still in just as much pain.

I'm wondering if anyone found that an underlying cause of the gout was worse than the gout itself?

• Posted

Sounds like you are almost there. Remember to check the lables on the fruit juice, some have hfcs and Furmaic Acid, Ascorbic Acid, Citric Acid, Malic Acid, etc. 

And many have more than one acid for preservation. We don't want the acids. I've been using R.W. Knudsen - Just Tart Cherry it's not sweet but I drink about 6 oz a day. I have not cut back on any natural fruits or vegetables. They are the natural building blocks for our bodys cells. I'm now eating meats ( small amounts 4 to 8 oz ) but still no soda, caffine, or beer.  Remember it's the total of what we eat and drink that makes us more alkaline or acidic everyday. I've cut back on white or potatoe bread and switched to soft wheat, whole wheat and whole grain breads. I have quit using margarine and cut way back on the butter I use, especially on toast which I love with butter. Have you made any smoothies? Lots of frozen fruits make it tasty and an apple a day does the body good. My blood testing for gout was done by Lab Core not the strips that you pee on.

Maybe if all this doesn't work something like a med is messing with you. Or you body is creating acid, drink lots of water to flush out your kidneys. If you just can't take it anymore go to another doctor and get a second opinion. I hope and pray that you find the answers soon. Good Luck.

• Posted

Gout starts in your stomach so get some probiotics refrigerated only and keep in refrigerator.  Any other kind wont be alive and wont work.  Once your get your gut working properly it should go away.
    • Posted

Thank you. This hasn't been suggested yet. I will try this, I truly appreciate your help.
  • Posted

Allopurinl at 300mg > dosage. It can take months for it to work. Take it religiously.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.