I'm 45 years old, I've worked full time in various employment since I was 16.

Posted , 6 users are following.

I've worked on a farm, as a Nurse Assistant, and as a Dental tech. I've suffered from lumbar back pain for the last 10 years. After numerous doctor's visits, I have been diagnosed with osteo arthritis in my neck, low back, both hips, left knee, and left shoulder. I also have bone spurs, spinal stenosis, bulging discs, and Fibromyalgia. All show on MRIs or x-rays. Yet my doctor thinks my pain is from stress and depression. I'm filing for Full Disability, have been waiting for 12 months now. Do you think I have a prayer of winning my case? I had to stop working because I experienced pain with every movement. Standing, or sitting at a desk was a nightmare. And lifting anything over 5 pounds is out of the question

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Kimberly, I'm 31 and just within the past year was diagnosed with osteoarthritis with Rheumatoid Arthritis and Fibromyalgia and am too having difficulty working. Some days I'm fine, others are unbearable. My Dr also thinks it's stress/anxiety related, I agree it has part to do with it I feel like something else is triggering it. I've heard disability takes about a year, so you will hopefully hear something soon. Best of luck to you!

• Posted

Hi kimberley80167

I am 43 and have osteoarthritis in both knees and hips and was dismissed from my job on the grounds of incapability. I am on ESA and pip as a result of becoming wheelchair bound. So in answer to your question ... it is possible. Do you need any help in performing your daily functions? My husband has had to stop work in order to look after me.

• Posted

I don't think there's any Rhyme or Reason to they're approving and not approving. I'm on disability and have been for 5 years. But I was 50 when I was approved and that makes a big difference because there's a different criteria when you hit 50. You bring 45 will make a difference but I wanted to say that I have known people with fibromyalgia to have problems getting disability but they still won. But you also have the back issues and that's in your favor. I can't say where osteoarthritis will fall in I've not heard of anybody one way or the other getting it with that. I do recommend you get an attorney as soon as you get your first denial. And that is assuming you get a first denial. A majority of people will get that first denial although not everybody does. My brother-in-law did not shocked me but he did not. What surprises me is that some people who I think has horrible disabilities can fight for years and then someone else who has a few will get it in 6 months that's why I say there's no Rhyme or Reason to their decisions. But good luck to you!

• Posted

Hi Kimberely, Im sorry to hear of your pain ,I have the same woes..osteo/spinal stenosis/spondylothesis. With PIP (dla) Its not what you have wrong so much its the way it affects your day to day life. I have been granted lower rate mobiity and care. Although I can walk,it is not far and usually with a stick and lots of stopping and s l o w...care wise ,I need help lifting,chopping, wont have a bath unless my son is home ,hae problems getting up and down stairs,etc etc. I have had some grab rails fitted in my bathh room and toilet by occupatianal which are a great help. There is a very helpful website Benefits and Work I think its called,lots of useful information. It is indeed possible to get pip for what you have BUT it is how it affects you . I hope that helps and good luck..'.if you dont ask you wont get ' so yes its wrth a try smile

• Posted

I'm struggling to stay in work with cronic back pain cronic knee pain clicky thumbs and carpol tunnel in both hands I work nights so I can go slow the stiffness in my back and joints is the worse I'm on slow release morphine gabapentin but nothing takes the pain away completely any ideas

• Posted

One thing as a chronic pain patient your going to have to accept is that you will never be without pain. You will always have some level of pain. The idea is to learn to manage on what pain there is left after taking the meds that you are taking. Being a chronic pain patient is not an easy life. And in fact it sucks, especially if you are having to work too. I admire you for getting through a day of work with the pain that you have. It shows how tough you are. I'll private mail you and give you a place to go that I like, to talk with other chronic pain patients. They are all a bunch of very helpful and supportive people. Good luck to you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.