I'm 54, and just got released from the hospital with severe COPD....

Posted , 4 users are following.

I woke up and was so short of breath that I was gasping. I could barely put on a dress to go to the hospital in the ambulance that my husband called. I smoked for 40 years with no symptoms....no smokers cough, no flem. I like smoking. Had no real reason to quit. Now I was 1 point away from even being able to register on that test that everyone speaks of. Severe COPD and i have 4 nodules in my lungs...too small to biopsy now but will need a another CT scan in 3 months to see if they grew. Sent me home with oxygen 24/7. But I don't have medical coverage since I stopped working and don't know how to pay for more. Plus I can't fill my perscriptions...same reason. I'm scared. I have not had a cig since that day....Sept 3rd. Am I gonna die soon? 

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi I am so sorry about your diagnosis, that must be an awful shock for you.  I do know you can live with severe COPD and even with end stage for many years and still have some quality of life.  Congrats on giving up smoking - that is the best thing you can do for yourself.   Please don't google indiscriminately as you will scare yourself silly.  Stick to recognised sites.

I can't comment about payment for your medical care as I am in the UK and we have the NHS.  I hope you manage to work something out though.  Take care.  xx

• Posted

Thanks so much for responding hypercat. I was pretty shaken at the time that I posted this but now I'm a bit better. I'm liking how my body feels with good oxygen flowing thru it. I'm not so sleepy and sluggish. I have a leg that has lymphodema and was twice the size of a normal leg and it has good color now and it's lost at least half the swelling that it had so I do thank God for those positives. 1 day at a time I guess....
    • Posted

I am glad you are feeling more positive now ladyjack. Onwards and upwards.  xx
  • Posted

Dear ladyjack, I amm so sorry about your hospital visit. Please visit or call the charity department of your hospital, and tell them your situation, and what can be done for your situation. Most all hospitals have a charity department, or similar, or medicaid, etc. So bedt to call them or visit asap. Also, consider disability for the future, if possible! I wish I could help out more, and wishing you the best of luck. I will be keeping you in my daily prayers...for me, I do not know what I would have done, had I not known the Lord!
    • Posted

Thanks for responding Brenda62546. Your info is great but I've already done those things. The hospital was gracious enough to pay for my oxygen at home for 1 month until I can set something up. I applied for disability 2 yrs ago and was turned down but it has been in Appeal now for over a year. I have an attorney on it and with COPD now....I should be approved I pray. They say that Disability always denies you the first time it seems. I too am a Christian and I know God is my only way to be healed. And I believe he will heal me. My issue is I want him to heal me now!!! We all know, He does things in HIS Time....not my time.  I've just been going thru this for so long (my circulation and mobility issues) that I just get soooo tired and depressed.  They say God won't put no more on you than you can bare. I think He OVERESTIMATES me. I'm maxed out. 
    • Posted

I am so glad you have the lord in you life too. ♡ Hopefully, now that your disability is on appeal and with your new diagnosis, you may finally get disability, which will be a blessing ! I wish you the best of luck, and you are in my prayers. Good luck and take care!
    • Posted

Also, just wanted to add, that if you live in USA, their may be a government program for Advair, or, Sporiva, or, Symbacort (could qualify for all 3 or possibly more). Find their phone numbers by either calling the hospitals pharmacy and inquiring if they have any application or drug makers tele numbers, for any of those 3 drugs, or, look the number of each drug company up online and inquiring about their no costs pulmonary medications, if you qualify by income. I have heard about these government sponsored programs for the three (above mentioned) drugs. God Bless!
  • Posted

Dear ladyjack

I was so sorry to read of your disability but with luck and hope you stay of the smoking you can get through this . I have had end stage Fribotic lung disease for 2 years & had never smoked but I am gradually getting worse now . But I have always keep a positive out look & am now going for interview for Personal independent payment ..... Will need some luck with this !!'mmmm  

• Posted

Good luck with the PIp RosFaro1.  You deserve it and I really hope you get it.  x
    • Posted

Thanks for responding RosFaro1.  I'm in the States so I'm not sure what you are interviewing for but here's my thoughts on luck....there's no such thing as luck. I believe God makes everything happen and He is from all that is good. Bad and evil and sickness are from the devil. If it is His will for you to have a good interview then you will. And He wants only good things for you so you just have to have faith and pray for what you need. He already knows. So I pray that if it's His will,  then those doors will be open for you and it will happen. I'm not a fanatic but I do love God and just wanted to explain why I don't believe in luck. Let me know what happens....
  • Posted

Surely your Medicaid will pay for medication. Did you have ct scan or chest X-ray. When I had extreme shortness of breath they found I had pneumonia. I can't imagine you having no X-rays. I agree it is scary to not be able to breathe. Where you live ? USA. ?  Have your husband inquire about medications. They can't just ignore you. 

Good luck. 

Mary Ann 

New Westminster BC

Canada. 

• Posted

Thanks for responding Mary ann...no, I don't have Medicaid. And yes, I had xrays, Cat scan,  ekg, vein do plan test,  and more. That's how they know its COPD. 
  • Posted

its a good thing you gave up the smoking now.  Unfortunately copd is not a good one to have.  You have damaged your lungs with the 40 years of smoking so stopping at least will help inflammation of your brochi to lessen once your lungs clear all the tar and particles in your lungs.  But the prognosis isn't good just do your best to keep fit if you can so that day to day living is better.  If you can join a copd support group if there is one in your area and see about pulmonary rehabilitation locally.  

Richard

• Posted

Yes, Richard,  you are right and I thank you for responding. Quality of life is what I will work on. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.