I’m 55, shoud I have my ovaries and tubes removed?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi, can anyone give me some advice please. I have a 7.5cm benign ovarian cyst which gives me some pain. I’ve not gone through the menopause yet. My Gyno has recommended that I have an oophorectomy as my cyst could twist or burst and then it would mean emergency surgery. I’m not sure what to do, I see the sense in getting the op to prevent emergency surgery but I’m worried about the risks of immediate menopause. Can anyone help please.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Aileen 

I had both my ovaries removed last week so I'm not sure I'm the best one to respond as it may be too early to tell what effect it's going to have ( & to be fair everyone's different) i did get the impression that I'd be thrown straight into my menopause 'all bells & whistles' was what I read! 

So far nothing really although I think that's fairly unusual!?  I'm thinking things may kick in over the next few weeks but I did expect it to come in full force straight after my op, maybe I've been extremely lucky I don't know.

I didn't really have much option re surgery & I kind of looked at it as if it was scheduled I could plan my recovery & put things in place at work & home to make it as easy as possible & give myself long enough to rest up & not have to worry about time off work at short notice?! 

I was really worried about the surgery as had never had anything done before, I'm very happy to say all went very well & one week on from open surgery I'm doing fine! Obviously taking things very easy but can see the light at the end of the tunnel now :-)

Obviously everyone differs in their situation & recovery but thought I'd share my story to give you a bit of hope & reassurance x

I did think I was lucky to be able to prepare in advance as emergency surgery has got to be more stressful & an extra worry as you never know when it could happen, 

Hope this helps & like I say I think I've been lucky so far x

• Posted

Hey Aileen ! 

I'm going to speak on the emergency part your GYN was talking about. I'm only in my late teens and ended up having my right ovary removed (right oophorectomy).

My surgery was planned to remove my large ovarian cyst on that side, about the same size as yours but a scan prior to my surgery revealed severe ovarian torsion. They couldn't save it as blood flow hadn't been going to it for a while and it was dead at that point.

From my own experience, If I were in your situation, I would have at least the cyst removed asap. Your GYN is right to be worried about that. On the bilateral oophorectomy (both ovaries), that's always an option if you're done having kids and want to prevent any future risk of cysts. Is your GYN recommending that? 

I hope you feel better soon !

• Posted

Thanks For sharing your experience, It’s reassuring to know that your surgery went well and you had no immediate menopause symptoms. I hope you continue to recover well, Aileen
    • Posted

Hi Jayeni, thanks for sharing your experience. I am concerned about torsion so I suppose I should bite the bullet and go ahead with surgery. My Gynaecologist has recommended removing both ovaries even though I only have a cyst on one. Hope you continue to keep well, Aileen
  • Posted

I’m 52 and had both ovaries, tubes and 2 cysts out this past December. Both cysts were on my right side but I opted to have the right side removed. 

At my age, I’m not having kids and was pre menopausal and did it for preventative reasons. I didn’t want to have to have surgery twice if the left side started. 

Glad I did it! Yes, I started getting hot flashes (bad ones) about a week after....i’m Now in medication and doing fine! 

• Posted

Hi Jackie

Thanks for your reply, it’s reassuring to know that you’re glad you had the surgery. I was worried I would regret it but knowing others have had no regrets makes me feel better about going through with it. Hope you continue to keep well, Aileen

• Posted

I don't know if this will help u but i am 47 years old i just had my left ovary and tube taking out about 3 weeks ago i have been going through premenopausal for about a year the cyst on the ovary was enlarging so they just removed it so far i am ok i just had pain once in a while where tje incenion is and they cut me with 3 small incension u will be ok i am doing ok

• Posted

Thanks for your reply Tracy, I hope you continue to keep well. The replies I’ve received have given me the confidence to go ahead with the surgery so thanks again, Aileen
  • Posted

Hi Aileen. I'm pretty sure as long as you have one ovary left you'll be fine, no sudden menopause. Your ovaries are what produce estrogen, so as long as one remains your good.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.