I'm 6 weeks post op, should I be walking properly now?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm 6 weeks post op on a triple ankle break.

I've just been to the hospital and was told to stand up and walk. It hurt ridiculous amount but was told I should be able to walk.

Does anyone have any advise on this?

Thank you

Chelsea

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Are you in a boot or anything? Im 5 weeks post op. I broke 3 bones my foot. I got my boot on Tuesday and today was the first day i was able to walk with the aid of crutches. I cant imagine i would be able to walk without the air boot and crutches
    • Posted

Nope, no boot literally nothing!! I have come away even more clueless as I went. I guess I'll just have to do what I feel is comfortable.

Good luck with your recovery

• Posted

Hi Chelsea. I too am post 6 weeks op after having surgery on a dislocated ankle and 3 broken bones. I had plates and screws. I too still have pain and not weight bearing. I am wearing a split cast which I remove to do gentle movements. My ankle and foot are both swollen and I have no way full movement of my foot or ankle. I go back to the fracture clinic tomorrow where I hope to get a boot and part weight bear on that with crutches. There is no way I could walk on my foot. That seems very strange after an operation on an ankle, you would be asked to just start walking. I think you should be in a boot part weight bearing with crutches, but that's my opinion as I'm no orthopaedic surgeon. I wish you a speedy recovery.
    • Posted

I had similar but I had a plate and wires instead of screws.

No they haven't given me anything. I have come away with my removable cast still but he said I should really need it.

I to wish you a speedy recovery and I hope tomorrow goes ok and you get more help than I did!

• Posted

Hi Chelsea ! How is your ankle going ? Just letting you know I am 6 weeks post op, plates and screws. Read my previous post to you. I went to the fracture clinic today and had X-rays . The bones have healed well. I was told to stand up and put my op ankle on the floor . It killed and I couldn't weight bear. I was told that my injury was at the worse end of the spectrum and it will take a long time to heal. I was put in a air cast black boot and saw the physio. I am partly weight bearing with crutches and have unbearable pain when trying to walk slowly. I still have to try to walk on it to make it stronger and take it off from time to time to try and get my ankle and foot moving better. My ankle is very swollen and I'm going to persist with the boot as it has to be used. If you are still not happy, I would go back to the hospital Chelsea. I go back in 6 weeks to see the consultant. All the best.
  • Posted

Hi I had an ankle replacement done 6 moths ago. At first I thought my ankle would not ever be the same again , however with walking boot on 8wks & crutches, then 1 crutch. Now it's great. This may not have any bearing on triple ankle break . But would think it would be similar. Just don't push yourself , you will know when to weightbear

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.