I'm 71, had Urolift 1/20/17

Posted , 11 users are following.

I am 71 and active. I have been on BPH medications (Finasteride & Terazosin) for years. Going on 2 months since Urolift, and am still getting up 3-4 times at night, which is the same as before Urolift. Dr put me on 25mg Bethanechol 3 x a day, for 90 days (started taking 2/22/17) to retrain the bladder to push to empty. Dr says this is not uncommon after prostate surgery. I previously tried the "microwave treatment) and that did not work for me. I'm getting worried about this not working either. Am I doomed to continued nightly interruptions of sleep? Has anyone else had a similar experience (including taking Bethanechol or similar medication to improve bladder function)? Thanks.

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

As others note, the initial assessment should include a PVR measurement or , even better, a number of them over some time period and a cystoscopy that includes the bladder interior.  There are bladder conditions that affect treatment decisions as well as influence perceived 'success'.   Hopefully the bladder condition was assessed. 

One of the 'sensations' that took a bit of getting used to was that of starting to need to go but learning to understand that it could wait a bit because, pre-Urolift, if I got too far behind and didn't go,  it could take 3-4 tries over 20 minutes to get done. That disappeared within 10 days post procedure. 

Best wishes for you.

• Posted

Yep, zero benefit for me as well with the Urolift. And not a fun experience. In fact caused some other issues. Still on two medications.

Good luck.

• Posted

Lester  Sorry that it did not work for you.  The Urolift opens the prostate.  Sure your problem is not the bladder.  My prostate was closed together had it done 2 years ago  Still open and going good.  Take care  Ken  
    • Posted

Doc did the lookyloo and I was a candidate, or so he said. My luck.

Good for you, glad you benefited, would have been nice.

Best

• Posted

How many implates did you have put in.  I had 4.  Maybe you need more.  I know Chuck on here had it done the first time only 4.  Had it done again and had another 4 put in.  And hes good to go  Ask you doctor  Good luck Ken
  • Posted

Had Urolift about 21 months ago at age 71.  It takes time, but it got better and better and better as I healed.  For me, I found out there was more to it and grumblingly did a sleep study that turned up restless leg and sleep apnea.  Now have meds for the restless leg and a C-PAP for the apnea and I love it.  Usually get at least 4 hours of continuous sleep minimum, often 5, 6, 7 or even 8 hours.  Not saying your situation is the same.  Just double check for other causes.  Main thing is just time...let time heal.  Surgery of any sort is no small thing.
    • Posted

I second your advice about the impact of other causes.  In my case, it was my wife who has the sleep apnea machine.  She switched just before my urolift procedure on 2/20 from a cpap to a bi-pap (reduced air pressure on exhalation).  She wakes up less during the night.  I woke up an average of 1 time less per night because of that (based on a 1 week sample - probably not accurate, but that's my perception).  The urolift impact also reduced my wakeups.  It's about a month after my procedure and I am heading in the right direction.

• Posted

I'm almost 63 and I'm extremely active.  Two years ago (January 2016) I had the Urolift procedure performed.  I got off the BPH medications completely, but after about 9 months, I noticed that my old problems of incomplete voiding and increased frequency began to return.  By the end of 2017, the situation became intolerable - getting up 4 to 6 times per night, unable to take long car trips and still be able to void, etc.  My urologist performed a cystoscopy to see what the problem was and discovered that my Urolift had failed.  The prostate tissue had grown to fill the void that the Urolift originally created.  This is particularly concerning since my prostate has grown slowly compared to most.  At my cystoscopy, I learned that my urologists only performed about 5 Urolift procedures and the entire practice only performed about 25 Urolifts before abandoning the procedure due to its consistently poor results.

This past week I had the "rezum" procedure done.  My urologist's practice has had significantly better results with "rezum" as compared to the Urolift.  It is too early to report any results from my "reaum" surgery, but I'd advise others to actively seek alternatives to the Urolift.

• Posted

From what I've read, the results on both are fairly comparable, Prostates continue growing regardless of treatment and sometimes they don't last all that long and there are people on this forum who have had a Urolift fail, be redone and had great results. And some that have had complete failures with it and gotten no relief at all. Rezum doesn't work on everyone either.

I'm not advocating any one procedure and there are reasons to choose one over the other and some reasons than Urolift isn't indicated, like an enlarged median lobe. I hope your Rezum works well for you - it did for me. But remember that some people need to have procedures done ever few years - there are men who have posted about redoing Greelight, TURP and other procedures some years after they succeeded.

• Posted

Gray  I seam to feel it was all on your doctor and the way he did it.  If your clips failed he did not but them in right or did not put enough to hold your prostate apart.  I would never consider a procedure like Rezum that there is a chance of retro.  I don't care if I'm not having any more kids.  I don't know how long you have been on this site but they have been more failed Rezum procedure then good between them not working and you have to do CIC and your left with retro.  I had the Urolift procedure done over 3 years ago.  I was number 20 for my doctor.  My prostate has grow some but the clips have kept my prostate wide open.  My doctor and his partner have done many over the last 3 years.  I will also say any procedure will work has long as you have a good trained doctor.  I hope your procedure works for you because once it done it.  I am in contact with a few men that are going to other doctor now because they had the Rezum procedure and it did not work for them.  They want to see what they can do now to re dew the damage.  Heal well and may God be with you  Ken  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.