I'm a 47 yr. old African-American female. I did not kno...

Posted , 1 user is following.

I'm a 47 yr. old African-American female. I did not know that I had a toxic Goiter until June '05. Fortunately for me, my doctor was writing down my answers to questions about another condition I was having. As he was asking me questions, he looked me in my eye. He studied my face as I was talking. After I finished one of my lengthy explanations regarding his question, he asked me if I had a Goiter. Although I was new to this doctor as a patient, I was still upset about the fact that the last doctor that I had been visiting for at least 3 yrs, never noticed.

When I told him that I didn't know, he then proceeded to examine my neck. He told me that he was very sure that I had a Goiter and that it was rather large. He wanted it looked at by x-ray and ultrasound immediately. The x-ray was uneventful but the ultrasound was not as forgiving. He confirmed my doctor's suspicions and also raised the bar of concern by showing that on my left side, I had several cysts. On the right, there were at least 4 large "nodules".

My doctor then wanted to know the status of the "nodules". Were they benign (as he suspected), or were they malignant. He was very honest with me when he informed that that if indeed they were malignant, they would want to be starting my treatment as soon as humanly possible.

But after receiving a "biopsy" to determine what the status was, we found that the tumors were benign. Of course much to the delight of me and my family. The biopsy was no picnic though. This is not a procedure that should be done with just local anesthesia. "Laughing Gas", or anything in that league. A shot of Novocaine or whatever numbing agent they used on me was no help at all when the actual "digging into the Goiter" was done. I could feel every jab into it and it hurt very badly. I'm not a sqeamish one. I had 4 children all naturally without so much as a shot of demerol. (I had babies before it was fashionable to have epidurals). In the seventies and early 80's most women were afraid of them. This was much more horrific a thing to experience than all of my pregnancies together running concurrently.

Anyway, I wound up having to have the surgery because of the uncomfortability of the Goiter. It was so large that it was choking me really badly. I would choke off of my own spit. I was very afraid that I would choke on some food and no one would be there to give me the Heimlich. For the longest time, I had thought it was my sinuses draining down my throat. That's why I choked so much. Didn't know that the Goiter was huge and wrapped around my esophagus. It had even pushed it over to my left side. Although it was determined by a barium swallow x-ray that I could still send my food down my esophagus without any problems, they could still see where my breathing would be sometimes cut off because of the location of my esophagus.

Now I am currently recovering from my surgery. Total thyroidectomy. I can feel something missing in my throat when I cough. I feel like there's nothing there to help me push my cough out. My head also feels like it's been sewn back on like Frankenstein as well. My neck is still really swollen and I feel like there's a knot in my throat. My voice sounds a little funny. But, I can't tell if that's because of my cough. From what I understand, my parathyroid glands were not injured. But, I have a lot of phlegm and feel suspicious of some bronchial infection.

Pray for me. I'll be praying for you. Thanks. Lots of love. Micki

[i:29b16b0146]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:29b16b0146]

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I just read your comment and have experienced some of the same symptoms. I am 3 1/2 months post op Total Tyroidectomy for a large substernal thyroid. Still experiencing tightness in neck and throat area, incision is still very red, sore and lumpy. Barium swallow shows GERD. Upper part of my neck still feels anesthetized. Dr.'s keep telling me this is to be expected and complete healing will take about a year.

I will keep you in my prayers. I am believing God for complete healing of this post op situation.:magic:

[i:f1443c2250]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:f1443c2250]

• Posted

what was your surgery like and what about after surgery. I scheduled next week and getting nervous.

[i:3aa7f8dc2f]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:3aa7f8dc2f]

• Posted

I also had a total thyroidectomy in 1998.

After a total Thyroidectomy depending if the patathyoid glands were damaged or removed you will also develop symptoms of Hypocalcemia, tingling around the mouth, muscle cramps etc. This is because the parathyroid glands automatically regulate calcium in our body and if they are damaged or missing you do not have this automatic control and develop symptoms of Hypocalcemia.

For further information vistit one of the Thyroid Cancer sites or www.hypoparathyroidism.org for further credable information on surgical onset Hypoparathyroidism.

If you have conserns and need the support of a others with this conditon there is a forum on www.hypoparathyroidism.org.uk

I hope that this information helps.

Alice

[i:0dc008bd34]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:0dc008bd34]

• Posted

I had a subtotal thyroidectomy in January 2005 and although the operation wasn't what I expected ie felt liked a trussed up chicken and was scared to be sick in case my head came off the outcome has been great my levels are now normal and have been for the last year. I have been taking 75mg of thyroxine which has been the correct dose I sleep at night now where as before I seem to be awake all night so I think for me it was the best thing.

[i:3acf06df8f]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:3acf06df8f]

• Posted

Hi all, I am 27 years old.

Had a subtotal thyroidcectomy 5 weeks ago due to being overactive and having large nodules. Before the operation I felt so poorly and some days I thought I was dieing.

Since the operation I feel like a whole new person. I am on 150mg of thyroxine and feel great.

My scar is still sore and I have had two dissolvable stitches pop out and had to have the nurse remove them. I still feel tightness but then again its only been 5 weeks. The numbness is going.

[i:042abe85f4]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:042abe85f4]

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.