I'm a bit worried my Abdominal Symptoms could be something more serious, should I be?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello Everyone! 😃

Some background information about me, I'm a 25 year old male. I am suffering with some abdominal issues, my symptoms have been varying over the last month or so, but I've had a history of fatigue which has lasted a few years.

My Symptom History:

Dec 2016 - Now

• Fatigue around 40% of the days.
  • Depression & Stress issues.
  • Random periods of constipation, but no major side effects.
  • Sometimes mild Acid Reflux when stress was bad

Spoke to my GP about this and was concluded its probably nothing to worry about and maybe due to stress and depression

October 9th 3 AM

• Constipation
  • Bad cramping pains in my stomach

October 15th 3 AM

• Constipation
  • Bad cramping pains in my stomach (Worse than previous)

Spoke to my GP about this, conclusion was most likely picked up a stomach bug. It was suggested I wait a week or two and see if things settle down

October 16th - Fri 18th

• Constipation

October 18th - Fri 25th

• Passed my first stool, seemed rather normal.
  • Severe nausea started after my first stool.
  • Burning gnawing type pain in my stomach

Spoke to my GP, they don't think its anything of concern at this time and to wait it out

Oct 26th - Nov 7th

• My Nausea went away
  • Had really severe bloating issues
  • Passing more wind than usual
  • Feeling full after eating small amounts
  • General symptoms of indigestion

Went to see another doctor and was prescribed Omeprazole to reduce acid reflux, they say I should wait it out and see what happens. Also I have done a H. Plyori bacteria test and waiting back on results

Nov 8th - Now

• Bloating has gone away
  • Don't feel full after eating anymore
  • Nausea came back and is rather severe
  • Acid Reflux especially after eating
  • Uncomfortable dull ache in lower abdomen after pooping
  • Passing more wind than usual
  • After weighing myself found I have lost around 5KG since symptoms started (part of this could be explained by me eating less food)

The Ompeprazole seem to reduce the Nausea symptoms quite a bit which is helpful, but still feel pretty ill in general especially in the lower abdomen, the GP's I have spoken to don't seem concerned, my worry is it could be something more serious such as Cancer, but the GP's I have spoken to seem not concerned because of my age and no previous family history, also mentioning that its come on suddenly which isn't characteristic of something more serious.

I'm still a bit worried, should I be concerned? I'm not really sure what is wrong with me, I have found reducing stress and anxiety did stop the symptoms for 2 days over the weekend, so perhaps this is not helping.

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

• Posted

my advise...

relax and stop thinking too much. what you are describing here is how stress and anxiety can cause those symptoms I am with your gp.

just take it easy and smile more

• Posted

Holy God,

Dear Buddy I have 100% same condition as yours. Mine problems also started from 1st October. Similar to yours the symptoms suddenly started out of nowhere. I have persistent loss of appetite from beginning of previous month and it is still same. Also mild daily heartburn is also occurring from past 15 days. Mine GP also consider the same as yours. My age is 19 years and no family history of anything serious. He is also not concerned about it. Just prescribed me liver tonic and pantoprazole. Asked me to have a Upper Endoscopy if symptoms persist. Even my parents consider me a hypochondriac. They say it's all in my head. But the fear of something serious like Stomach Cancer or something else haunts me daily. I just can't put my mind off because how much exercise i do or try to be happy these problems don't let me relax. I know buddy that crying own story doesn't help someone but atleast give some hope that i am not alone feeling awful. Hope we get healthy and fine soon.

• Posted

Holy God,

Dear Buddy I have 100% same condition as yours. Mine problems also started from 1st October. Similar to yours the symptoms suddenly started out of nowhere. I have persistent loss of appetite from beginning of previous month and it is still same. Also mild daily heartburn is also occurring from past 15 days. Mine GP also consider the same as yours. My age is 19 years and no family history of anything serious. He is also not concerned about it. Just prescribed me liver tonic and pantoprazole. Asked me to have a Upper Endoscopy if symptoms persist. Even my parents consider me a hypochondriac. They say it's all in my head. But the fear of something serious like Stomach Cancer or something else haunts me daily. I just can't put my mind off because how much exercise i do or try to be happy these problems don't let me relax. I know buddy that crying own story doesn't help someone but atleast give some hope that i am not alone feeling awful. Hope we get healthy and fine soon.

• Posted

Sorry to hear you have similar symptoms to me, I wouldn't wish this on anybody. I've been recently refered to a Gastroenterologist , like an hour ago, so once they work out whats wrong with me, I'll let you know!

I think its quite scary because a lot of symptoms of Cancer are similar to what we have, however the bowel is a very complicated and strange instrument and a lot of symptoms of Cancer overlap with non life threatening conditions.

Its very rare for someone our age to get something like Cancer but its not impossible.

• Posted

yes buddy the fact that cancer at this age is not impossible is what scares me

• Posted

if it puts your mind at ease between 2015-2017 0 people under the age of 35 was diagnosed with stomach cancer per 100,000 people. 6 people were diagnosed with bowel cancer under 35 but no one died of it.

Now look at the same stats for people over 50 and its in the tens of thousands.

Its not impossible but you would have to be very unlucky

• Posted

Yes buddy thanks for the information. Actually I am from India but maybe it doesn't matter very much.

• Posted

Hello BananaPa

Did you have any further tests. How are you currently? Any improvements?

• Posted

Hi BananaPan

Have you had blood tests to check all your vits and minerals. If they are not up to par this can cause digestion problems, especially Vit D and Vit B12, as well as digestion problems, low levels will cause fatigue, low mood and depression. Also, taking PPI's such as Omerprazole will block absorption of Vit B12.....get checked as a process of elimination and second opinion which all patients in UK are entitled to......if your living in UK or temporary resident...

• Posted

Thank you.

I had a blood test around 6 weeks ago, all came back OK apart from some high liver enzymes, therefore I have repeated the test today and waiting back to hear from the blood test, will be interesting if they find any issues.

• Posted

Hi BananaPancake

High liver enzymes can indicate high alcohol consumption, do you drink alcohol often?

• Posted

The fact that your doctors are not worried, is very good news. If they were worried, they would have said so and run urgent tests. They have not done this. Try to believe your doctor's reassurances. However, I don't agree with their advice to wait it out because that will not get you answers and will cause more stress. It sounds like IBS.Try seeing a different doctor again since they are all saying different things. Ask for more tests.

• Posted

Yeah i read that IBS also causes these problems but why would it develop suddenly.

Everyday i feel like it has been so long time what if there is some really serious problem how much it would have spread.

Sorry I know I'm exaggerating but can't help it.

• Posted

IBS can develop very suddenly; one day I was fine but the next morning I woke up with raging stomach pain. When you are constantly anxious, it can cause the gut to over react.This is the nature of IBS. Try not to over analyze it because this will make you more stressed. Try to accept your doctor's reassurances because they are the experts. Try to think about positive things. Don't worry about things that haven't happened or may never happen.

Distraction techniques can help you; they worked for me. Try concentrating only on things you enjoy and you will find that it will help to reduce your symptoms. Try meditation exercises on youtube. If this doesn't help, , you will need to go back to your doctor and tell him you are having problems controlling your anxiety. Doctors can help with this. You may need an anti anxiety medication if natural methods don't work for you.

Anxiety is a huge problem for you and will need to get help for it from your doctor, if necessary, so you can get better. Otherwise, you will be constantly stuck in a vicious cycle which will make your gut problems worse. When your anxiety begins to control everything you do and reassurances stop working , it is time to get medical help for it. Please see your doctor.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.